Best Thai Bank To Open Foreign Currency Account

mrmillersr

you can get a foreign currency account but most banks will only let you open one if you are employed here and have the required visa and work permit.these accounts pay reasonable interest rates around 5% upwards i think.If you are on a non O retirement extension or marriage extension you may get lucky depending on the bank and who you talk to.

All the major Thai banks, plus the overseas banks in Thailand, now offer foreign currency accounts so really, take your pick. But be aware, if you deposit a UK Sterling cheque in a bank based in Thailand it will take a long time to clear, certainly not the three working days you are used to and possibly a matter of weeks. As for what the charges might be, I've no idea but I strongly suggest you find out before depositing your cheque here.

I suggest Bangkok Bank as having the most transfer agents and the most experience with this sort of thing. But check it out for procedures that you might not be normally accustomed to. In any case, the number of branches able to do this might be limited, and don't expect immediate domestic inter-branch transfer of funds. Anyway, check it out. If you are in Chiang Mai, I think the Kad Suan Kaew branch manager knows his business.

I suggest Bangkok Bank as having the most transfer agents and the most experience with this sort of thing. But check it out for procedures that you might not be normally accustomed to. In any case, the number of branches able to do this might be limited, and don't expect immediate domestic inter-branch transfer of funds. Anyway, check it out. If you are in Chiang Mai, I think the Kad Suan Kaew branch manager knows his business.

And if you are in Chiang Rai, please be aware that my wife and I were informed that the only branches there equipped to set up such accounts are those at Chiang Rai and Mae Sai. I recommend the latter where Khun Malai Buasarot (the Provincial Manageress) proved to be exceptionally helpful and generally pleasant. Any Thai bank manageress who keeps an effigy of Albert Einstein on her desk and is able to engage in a discussion of his work surely gets my business!

Khun Malai Buasarot had been running the BB at Kad Suan Kaw for years and we found her great. Then she was sent off to Mae Sai. Never understood why? Thought she must have offended someone as we couldn't possibly have envisioned the move as a promotion.

Khun Malai Buasarot had been running the BB at Kad Suan Kaw for years and we found her great. Then she was sent off to Mae Sai. Never understood why? Thought she must have offended someone as we couldn't possibly have envisioned the move as a promotion.

It actually is a promotion.

She was sent there because they have a massive amount of Chinese clients with BIG money and she is the 'Chinese Connection'.

Always helpful to foreigners.