Windows Xp Startup Problem

otherstuff1957

I just installed Windows XP on my computer and have a bit of a problem. I set up 3 users - two administrators (password protected) and one limited user. I also put a password on my Computer Administrator id. However, whenever I start the computer it automatically goes to the Computer Administrator without even asking for a password :o ! When I log off - rather than shut down - I go to the regular user menu and can log in to any of the three users normally.

I looked up this problem in windows help and learned that the Computer Administrator should only show up when there are no other users or if the computer is starting in safe mode. I don't seem to be starting in safe mode and there are 3 users. Any ideas?

TIA

I just installed Windows XP on my computer and have a bit of a problem.  I set up 3 users - two administrators (password protected) and one limited user.  I also put a password on my Computer Administrator id.  However, whenever I start the computer it automatically goes to the Computer Administrator without even asking for a password :o !  When I log off - rather than shut down - I go to the regular user menu and can log in to any of the three users normally. 

I looked up this problem in windows help and learned that the Computer Administrator should only show up when there are no other users or if the computer is starting in safe mode.  I don't seem to be starting in safe mode and there are 3 users.  Any ideas?

TIA

As to the cause - no point in speculating.

A possible solution is to download from Microsoft the power tool TWEEKUI.

When you run this utility you are able (via the "log on" section) to stipulate who, and how (use of password or not) logs on, when the machine boots into Windows XP.

Use of this utility solved some minor irritation I had similar to yours.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

you can change the start up porceedure - just find the right setting to change

In W2K you go to control panel, and click users and passwords icon. In XP they moved everything around and made too many options... so you will have to have a look around. But be assured that you can change it easily when you find the rigth place

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A possible solution is to download from Microsoft the power tool TWEEKUI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you can't find it it's called TWEAKUI. It's a part of the powertools.

A possible solution is to download from Microsoft the power tool TWEEKUI

In case you can't find it it's called TWEAKUI. It's a part of the powertools.

Thanks for righting the typo, sniffdog.

Sorry about that.