Mae Jo Plant Sale

bluweyze

Are you are referring to the Mae Jo Agriculture Festival that is usually in December? I was told the other day by a girl who has a shop at Kamtieng and who graduated from Mae Jo University, that the festival will not be happening this year. :) She said they announced on the last day of last year's festival that due to the extremely poor turn out last year, poor economy, etc. that the next festival will be in December 2010.

BAD TURN OUT??? The one I went to was steaming, packed is not the word. Well any excuses is better than none.

The Festival last December? I went every day and it did seem like there were a lot of people there. But the girl said that many people came and only looked, but didn't buy.

Agree it was packed and WE spent money and saw many others spending. Sad to hear that it won't be happening this year. Is there any further confirmation of this???

Yes it was packed and people were buying. Whatever the real reason is, it certainly isn't lack of customers. Will try to find out more.

Mentioned this to the wife and she informs me that Chiang Mai Uni is holding the farmfair this year.....maybe they are working out a deal with Mae Jo to alternate years. Still would like to hear confirmation as anything that comes out of the wife's mouth needs confirmation.

She says she heard it from out 9 yr old that it will run til Dec 3.

confirmation please

Edited by jaideeguy

Mentioned this to the wife and she informs me that Chiang Mai Uni is holding the farmfair this year.....maybe they are working out a deal with Mae Jo to alternate years. Still would like to hear confirmation as anything that comes out of the wife's mouth needs confirmation.

She says she heard it from out 9 yr old that it will run til Dec 3.

confirmation please

I did a search on google and found this: http://www.chiangmai-vacations.com/chiang-...university/548/

It says what jaideeguy says which is that "The Northern Agricultural Fair changes host each year, switching between CMU and MJU. This year will be hosted by CMU".

I'm still not clear on the situation. Last year I also went to a Festival at CMU but it was nothing like the event at Mae Jo University. It had a small (compared to MJU) selection of exhibits, mostly flowers.

One of the reasons for the poor economy in C.M. has to be due to the consistent misinformation given about local events. Ultimately that affects tourism and also reduces the amount of money spent by locals. A recent example would be the 2009 Yi Peng Festival at Mae Jo, where no one including the Tourism Authority had a clue as to what was going on, who up until the last minute continued to say that the event had been canceled due to the swine flu. Did anyone who attended notice the amount of unsold khom loy, khratongs and food at the end of the night? Could it have possibly been due to the fact that no one knew for sure if the event was on?

Seems like the same thing regarding the Mae Jo Agriculture Festival. Misinformation again. The girl I spoke with at Khamtieng Plant Market told me that she got a letter from the organizers informing her the event was not happening this year! She has been a vendor there for a few years. She is under the impression that the event is off and she will lose money by not being there to sell and the event will lose money by not collecting her rent money for her stall. She said she paid 10K Baht last year for her space.

Then you do a search on google and find that the event is supposedly at CMU this year and not MJU. It's mind boggling sometimes.

Having said that, the most accurate information is usually to be found on TV!

Edited by elektrified

S1010023.JPG

S1010033_crop.JPG

Announcement of the Agricultural Fair at Mae Cho University, 9-13 Dec 2009.

Photos were taken at the fence of Mae Cho University, next to the main intersection with traffic lights, on 29 Nov 2009.

Winnie says CMU/Amerom says Mae Jo.

<deleted>??

It appears to have escaped your notice that although the OP was talking about Maejo University Agricultural Show held in December, others introduced the altenative Show which "was" held this weekend in the grounds of CMU. Apparently this show goes on till Dec 3rd according to a new thread.

Edited by Asmerom