Most Famous Friends In Thailand?

bkkmadness

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 17, my Mum was the Venue Manager for the Perth Concert Hall in Australia. I had a part time job in afternoons and weekends setting up back stage.

I was always a fan of Billy Connolly, and as a treat, Mum got me on the roster for his show (bugger all to set up) and I sat in and watched the show.

Billy Connolly lives a couple of minutes away from my mate in Strathdon. he has visited his house quite a few times and is well liked by the locals. I was very surprised when my mate told me Billy doesn't drink! Seemingly, there are a lot of Hollywood stars that visit him there, like Robin Williams and Steve martin.

Edited by Neeranam

When I was 17, my Mum was the Venue Manager for the Perth Concert Hall in Australia. I had a part time job in afternoons and weekends setting up back stage.

I was always a fan of Billy Connolly, and as a treat, Mum got me on the roster for his show (bugger all to set up) and I sat in and watched the show.

Billy Connolly lives a couple of minutes away from my mate in Strathdon. he has visited his house quite a few times and is well liked by the locals. I was very surprised when my mate told me Billy doesn't drink!

I think he should have said "Billy doesn't drink anymore" He's been on the wagon for over 10 years...or something like that.Used to be a big pisshead when he was younger though. :o

O.K let's get this thing back on track :-)

I've turned up at Alan Parker's (British film director of repute) office on Sunset Boulevard, L.A, not entirely unannounced I must admit - I'd phoned ahead, from a holiday in 'Cisco, since I was working on the stills for 'The Commitments' in London at the time - we got pissed, I got a sneak preview of the film, a slightly drunken insiders tour of Beverley Hills and then he fixed me up with a hotel opposite the Chinese Theatre since, being a backpacker, I had <deleted> all money. What a top bloke!!!

Working in television I've met countless other so-called celebs but generally avoid giving them the attention they so clearly crave - a'la the scandinavian approach espoused earlier in this thread.

Had to share the Parker story though since I genuinely appreciate some of the films he has directed.

Chok dii!

Not talking about some superstar or politician you met in a bar once, but who has any famous people that are actual 'call up and go out with' friends?

I have one, not very famous at all but since he's the only one he'll have to do :o

A good friend of mine from many years back in Thailand is a Burmese guy who does the live chat show/music for the Burmese people here on Radio Thailand every Friday.

Well I use to get visits from the guy. Po'lo, who did the daily Karen language broadcast on the Chiang Mai radio station every evening around 6:30 PM.

Then there was the night at some anonymous drinking hut many years ago on Koh Tao when it suddenly dawned on me that the guy playing the guitar for the dozen or so of us folks sitting there was Bob Weir. Had quite the hangover the next afternoon.

Back when SCT was the main avenue for online Thai discourse I had plenty of arguments with the now Internet Thailand President, Trin Transetthi. And of couse those days also made my long time friendship with LG whereby I got a free ticket to the UK to appear at the court case of Godfrey vs Demon Internet. The above are not directly involved with pals in Thailand and LG is more infamous than famous.

But for true infamy I use to have drinks with one of the better known drug lords up north of Fang, Laota.

But mostly I just spend my time in Thailand hanging out with the Thai hillbillys.

O.K let's get this thing back on track :-)

I've turned up at Alan Parker's (British film director of repute) office on Sunset Boulevard, L.A, not entirely unannounced I must admit - I'd phoned ahead, from a holiday in 'Cisco, since I was working on the stills for 'The Commitments' in London at the time - we got pissed, I got a sneak preview of the film, a slightly drunken insiders tour of Beverley Hills and then he fixed me up with a hotel opposite the Chinese Theatre since, being a backpacker, I had <deleted> all money. What a top bloke!!!

Working in television I've met countless other so-called celebs but generally avoid giving them the attention they so clearly crave - a'la the scandinavian approach espoused earlier in this thread.

Had to share the Parker story though since I genuinely appreciate some of the films he has directed.

Chok dii!

You're not that beaver from the joke section are you?