Smooth Jazz In Chiang Mai?

beinaj

For starters I would go to one of the Jazz clubs (restaurants) and ask the musicians. I personally have found that Chai Blues House (on Soi 4) off of Suthep on the way to Wat Humong (spelling) has been very helpful with any music related questions that I have had in the past.

Though you may well find someone at North Gate to suggest a band, it's hardly the venue for smooth jazz if that 's what you're really after. There used to be a quartet that played on Friday and Saturday at The Gallery (next door to The Brasserie, just down from Good View on the riverbank), did lots of old standards and were definitely in the smooth category. They also played in the restaurant at the Chedi so you can get the picture from that. The guitarist's name is Oak - PM me for his email address.

The best band in town for my money used to be The New City Gurus, but last time I saw them they were short of their sax player and the guitarist was a bit too dominant for my taste - good, but the style was leaning more towards rock. You can check them out at North Gate on a Friday evening at about 10.30 and Kevin, the horn player, will probably be able to suggest a line up for you too.

234796582_6n75Q-L.jpg

Por at North Gate Jazz Co-Op

Edited by Greenside

Kevin, the horn player, will probably be able to suggest a line up for you too.

Just to clarify, and to avoid confusion, I am not Kevin the horn player. 

I wouldn't like people to get the wrong impression. The fact that I now need reading glasses is purely coincidental.

Kevin, the horn player, will probably be able to suggest a line up for you too.

Just to clarify, and to avoid confusion, I am not Kevin the horn player.

I wouldn't like people to get the wrong impression. The fact that I now need reading glasses is purely coincidental.

No chance there, you play those water glasses filled to different levels don't you :) . Very melodic.

Here's the real Kevin...

220482158_wVPAo-L.jpg

Delighted to hear that the New City Gurus are playing together - those who haven't caught them and like some good modern adventurous jazz should make an effort to see them. I have both of their CDs and they're great.

...and Mark

220484337_Pas73-L.jpg

Edited by Greenside

hi

we're up from Chalong/Phuket from 6-11 Dec, first night out (Sunday) will be Chai Blues House, any recommendations for other venues during the week would be welcomed, blues/jazz would be preferred - have been starved of live music for a long time and want to make the most of our week away.

thankyou

G61