Get A Motorbike Licence In Thailand / Chiang Mai

Hello

I can drive a car but wonder whether farangs can take a motorbike licence in thailand (chiang mai / bangkok).

Where can we do it?

Will they provide training?

How much does it cost?

Can it be done in english?

is the licence valid internationally?

Can the thai motorbike licence later be used to allow riding in europe / usa / elsewhere?

What is the quality of instruction like?

Any tips on learning to ride a mortorbike?

My current car licence allows me to ride a 125cc, i believe, though i heard that this is only for 6 months and then i need to get a motorbike specific one...

Hi ajahnlau,

What search terms did you use? I tried motorbike licence, motorcycle licence and motorbike test and the only sensible link i got came back to this thread. :D:D

I did notice that the thread was moved though. I must have put it in the wrong forum. Maybe my searching is restricted to that forum or something... but i don't think so. :o

Firstly for a farang to obtain a lic. you must have a non-imm. visa and a letter confirming your add.

You can test in any province. If you have a valid int. lic. you may not have to test.

Training not provided by gov.

The written tests are in Eng.

Not valid int. as they are in Thai

Forget about driving in BKK till you have ridden for at least 6mos.

Best bet is to get an int. from your country and come over and rent a small bike. Go to large shopping ctr. at night and start. These small bikes have no clutch so very easy to learn on. Keep the rubber down and good luck!

Yeehi. Why would an inexperienced rider want to have a motorbike in Thailand?

Presumably you live elsewhere. If so have at least 2 years riding experience and then you might survive the first year. Do you know how to ride the wrong way down a freeway,or ride in the pitch dark without lights, or carry yourself ,wife and 4 kids on the bike. If not stick to the car :o

You were 14 days late in posting this.

April Fools day was the first!!

Driver training in Thailand, you have got to be joking.

You just get on a ride, no licence needed!!

If you do want to stay on the right side of the police then you can get

a licence and there is a written and a driving test.

They do have version of the written part in English.

The driving part consists of driving round a circuit 50m x 20m, with a narrow part to test you ability to ride slowly.

Make sure you give the hand signals as well as the indicators.

Agreeing: Thailand is no place to learn how to ride a bike. I had all kinds of experience. My first ride in Thailand, I almost killed myself. Second ride, I landed in a ditch without a scratch. Finally I got the knack of it. 28,000 km later, I still think it's about the riskiest thing you can do in Thailand, including riding bareback (don't ask).

Firstly for a farang to obtain a lic. you must have a non-imm. visa and a letter confirming your add.

You can test in any province. If you have a valid int. lic. you may not have to test.

Best bet is to get an int. from your country and come over and rent a small bike. Go to large shopping ctr. at night and start. These small bikes have no clutch so very easy to learn on. Keep the rubber down and good luck!

I was told that it is a work permit that is required as well as house registration.

I was told that it is a work permit that is required as well as house registration.

Well it's obvious you were told wrong. Check other threads on topic.