How Long Can A Uk Holiday Visa Be?

Essentially it's possible that I might be returning to the UK to work for about 1 year - obviously I want to take my wife & son with me. My wife has not only had holiday visa but previously had a Settlement Visa (of which she only spent 11 months in the UK).

My son has a British passport so there is no problems there. My wife also holds a Lao passport with an Oz Permanent Residency visa . . . we being living together married side of the UK for 3 years so not enough for the 4 years thingy. We've been married for over 5 years in total but as she's already been granted a settlement visa previously they've previously rubber stamped that our relationship is genuine.

So the questions are can you get 1 year holiday visas? Or would I need to go through the Settlement thing again (which seems OTT in my opinion)?

Cheers in advance for an advice.

The maximum stay in the UK with a visit visa is 6 months on any one visit and a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 in total.

I think that a settlement visa is your only option.

If it is possible for you to extend your stay in the UK for 3 years then at the end of that period she would be able, providing all the other requirements are met, to apply for British citizenship and a British passport. Then she would be able, of course, to enter and leave the UK as often and as long as she wished; same as any other British citizen.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it was 6 months but I didn't know about the 6 out of 12 rule.

Hmmm how long do settlement visa take these days? Taking into account our background i.e she previous had a settlement visa - initially we'd stay with my parents until I sorted out somewhere to rent (my parents house is plenty big enough being 3 bedroomed - we'd have a room to ourselves etc etc).

If parents' accommodation is adequate, then there is no need to move out.

Well I'd have no intention wanting to stay for an entire year at my parents - anyway the work wouldn't be near where they live...

. . . .

5 days sounds good as the work could be at relatively short notice. All this said I might not be going yet . . . but cheers for the info guys. :)