Thais Hunt For Missing Hippo At Chiang Mai Night Safari

george

Thais hunt for missing hippo

hippo2009.jpg

Hippopotamus. File photo.

CHIANG MAI: -- Thailand's Chiang Mai Night Safari has launched a search and rescue operation for a baby hippopotamus that went missing from the zoo's veterinary hospital last week, media reports said Sunday. The baby hippo was last seen in hospital on Thursday, soaking in a tub of water, the Bangkok Post said.

A security guard assigned to watch the hippo fell asleep and when he awoke the animal was gone.

Hospital staff found tracks leading to a nearby forest in the Chiang Mai Night Safari, which covers 127.6 hectares.

Officials dispatched 100 people to search for the hippo, but prospects of its survival are deemed low in light of the animal's youth and poor health.

The zoo, situated about 650 kilometres north of Bangkok, has been the target of criticism for poor management and mistreatment of animals in the past.

--dpa 2009-12-06

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You couldnt make this up!

A baby hippo, last seen having a nice soak in the bath at the hospital, waits for the security guard to fall asleep before making good his escape.

It's the funniest thing i've read in TV for ages. This is funnier than George's April Fool's threads.

How hard exactly can it be to find a hippo in Chiang Mai?

Has anyone checked the beer bars? He might have disguised himself in there.

The security guard fell asleep. How typical

This guy needs to be fired and the moron who hired him should shortly follow.

What, no CCTV in the hospital, guard(s) at the outer gate, fencing, blah, blah,.......

What the frug do the 'authorities' expect !

Chalk another one up to the Losers Of Sense.......

Brewsta

You couldnt make this up!

A baby hippo, last seen having a nice soak in the bath at the hospital, waits for the security guard to fall asleep before making good his escape.

It's the funniest thing i've read in TV for ages. This is funnier than George's April Fool's threads.

How hard exactly can it be to find a hippo in Chiang Mai?

as a worker or as a customer?

as a worker or as a customer?

I'm assuming either. Presumably that is why 100 people are currently checking. It's a big, tough job but someone's gotta do it.

, Thai people have no compassion for animals at all. so many times,

I believe this is nonsense. I see Thais feeding feral dogs and cats everyday in Pattaya. I never see them running over dogs and cats either. In other countries in the region they're looked upon as food.

From what I see generally, Thais love animals.

Edited by tropo

"Has anyone checked the beer bars? He might have disguised himself in there."

Oh I don't think that he would need much of a disguise in some of those joints - he would blend in perfectly !

But surely this must be a desperate attempt at a publicity stunt by TAT:

Join The Great Chiang Mai Hippo Hunt 2009. First Prize a Baby Hippo; Second Prize a redundant Security Guard and Third Prize - TAT.

Hippo-hippo hurray ! (sorry)

wow either total incompetence or a planned theft (for what reason I couldn't guess) but a baby hippo is still a big bloody animal & would be noticed wandering around.

A guy just got arrested in Phuket for walking around Patong's Bangla Road area with a baby crocodile on his shoulders. Have your picture taken with it and give the guy 100 baht.

The cops locked him up and took the animal away.

Maybe he's expanded into hippos now !!

You say Thais love animals well maybe...I once asked a Thai friend why you don`t see many wild animals in Thailand ...his response was "if it is free and you can eat ...we have already ate it " so I guess you are right Thais love animals .....are hippos good eating ?

I believe this is nonsense. I see Thais feeding feral dogs and cats everyday in Pattaya. I never see them running over dogs and cats either. In other countries in the region they're looked upon as food.

Are you looking through beer gargles?

Why do not you visit soi AR near family mart and ask the vendours there, how many dogs were run over in the past 3 months.

Or come over to soi 14 of 3rd road and see how many dogs are running around with broken legs.

Better yet, visit pet shop on 3rd road and see how animals are kept. If that does not do the job, you can always visit the VET on 3rd and ask her how many pets she gets from pet shops who are seriously ill and die.

But yeah, you right, i once saw a good heart thai man feed a dog who just gave birth to 8 pups, so he gave her rotten unpeeled prawns. 2 hours later poor thing died as it choked on the shell.

PS. I raised the pups and found home for them.

Yes definately a nonsense!

The zoo, situated about 650 kilometres north of Bangkok, has been the target of criticism for poor management and mistreatment of animals in the past.

The mistreatment of ALL animals, wild or not, in this so called buddhist country makes me sick every single day.

It is unbelievable and a shame for every human beeing how Thais treat all kinds of lifeforms. In my opinion they are in the most cases not worth called Buddhists!

The mistreatment of ALL animals, wild or not, in this so called buddhist country makes me sick every single day.

It is unbelievable and a shame for every human beeing how Thais treat all kinds of lifeforms. In my opinion they are in the most cases not worth called Buddhists!

Do you carry a sick bag around with you? Perhaps you should consult a Doctor if you vomit every single day. :)

Guard falling asleep? OK, TIT... happens all the time.

Then the baby hippo climbs out of the bathtub, towels himself dry, checks for some food which the guard did not eat, takes a sip or 2 from the Lao Khao (he is a THAI hippo), and sneaks off in to the night. Of course without making any noise, and equally of course, he knows the best way to escape from the zoo... I guess he has a stroll through the zoo to find his mama before that?!?

Maybe the poor hippo has been eaten by some other zoo inhabitants....

My thoughts are with the baby hippo...

Most ill informed & wrong Post i've seen on this Forum for a long time.