Registering A Foreign Marriage With The Amphur

My wife and I were married overseas. I have never bothered to get the marriage registered here in Thailand, there seemed little point.

However it now seems a good time to do this. I know I have to get the marriage certificate translated and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Apart from this and my passport/visa, are there any other documents that the Amphur will want to see? I expect my wife will have to produce various things (ID card, house registration, etc.) but anything else from my side?

Also are there any pitfalls that I need to be aware of? For example, we both kept our own family names on marriage. This has never been a problem either here in Thailand or elsewhere. Would the Amphur try to make my wife change her name to my family name? This would not be welcome as my wife would then have to change all of her ID related documentation.

I'd really welcome comments from those who have experience of registering their foreign marriage with their amphur.

For an extension based on marriage, immigration now even seems to demand you register the marriage and you are advised to ask for the Khor Por 2 form.

I can't think of any other papers you would need, but you can always call ahead and you are advised to chose an amphur where they have some experience with foreign marriages.

Using both you own names shouldn't be a problem, Thai law now allows for it. But you might receive some questions from immigration.

For an extension based on marriage, immigration now even seems to demand you register the marriage and you are advised to ask for the Khor Por 2 form.

Is Khor Por 2 an immigration related form? The reason I ask is that I have been extending via the "retirement" route, and I plan to continue to do so. I want to register the marriage for reasons that are nothing to do with visa extensions.

Form Khor Sor 2 is provided by the amphur and shows details recorded in marriage register. Most immigration offices are asking for this when processing extension of stay applications based on marriage. Not required by immigration if going the retirement extension route.