Pool Paint

longtime2

Don't forget to prepare the pool before painting over the old paint. The best thing is to sand blast the old pool. At the very least scrape it and hand sand the larger patches. You have to etch the old surface. Also to make sure there is no old debris left on the surface us muriatic acid to clean the pool before painting.

I've had experience painting a concrete pool, twice, and I'd never advise anyone to do it.

Sure it will look great - for about 3 or 4 months. Within a year it will look like crap.

Even with painstaking preparation and care, the paint will only stick to new or freshly sand-blasted concrete.

No amount of sanding or use of muriatic acid will help make it last longer. The 2 pack paint is expensive too.

The edges often start to flake off first and every little surface imperfection becomes a haven for black mold.

An automatic cleaner like a Kreepy-Krauly will hammer away at the surface and dislodge any paint that's not 100% bonded.

The answer is:

a) a vinyl liner - very quick and smooth.

or :) a new fibre-glass layer - messy and smelly to work with but long lasting.

or c) sandblasting and tiling - the tiles will be fine if the glue and grout is mixed and applied properly,

the grout is the weak link. It gets dirty real easy.

Whatever you choose, I wish you good luck!

• 1 month later...