New Zealand - Thailand To Sign Fta Deal

george

New Zealand-Thailand to sign FTA deal

BANGKOK: -- New Zealand and Thailand are scheduled to sign their bilateral free trade area (FTA) agreement this week.

New Zealand's Prime Minister, Helen Clark, and her Thai counterpart, Thaksin Shinawatra, will witness the signing of the FTA deal during the former's official visit to the Thai kingdom between 19-20 April.

The New Zealander and Thai leaders will also witness the signing of three others bilateral agreements.

They include the working and tourist visa deals, as well as the labour and environment agreements.

The visiting New Zealander prime ministers will also hold talks with Mr. Thaksin and other Thai cabinet members.

She is scheduled as well to preside over the opening of a seminar on business operations in New Zealand, to be held at the Conrad Hotel here tomorrow.

--TNA 2005-04-19

BANGKOK: --  New Zealand and Thailand are scheduled to sign their bilateral free trade area (FTA) agreement this week.

New Zealand's Prime Minister, Helen Clark, and her Thai counterpart, Thaksin Shinawatra, will witness the signing of the FTA deal during the former's official visit to the Thai kingdom between 19-20 April.

The New Zealander and Thai leaders will also witness the signing of three others bilateral agreements.

They include the working and tourist visa deals, as well as the labour and environment agreements.

The visiting New Zealander prime ministers will  also hold talks with Mr. Thaksin and other Thai cabinet members.

She is scheduled as well to preside over the opening of a seminar on business operations in New Zealand, to be held at the Conrad Hotel here tomorrow.

--TNA 2005-04-19

I've made a few postings on this in the past....but here is a refresher link :

Thai NZL CEP

They include the working and tourist visa deals,

--TNA 2005-04-19

Mostly reserved for qualified NZL business professionals/investors in certain industrys travelling to Thailand.

Talk of providing an avenue for trained (recognised quals) thai chefs and masseuses for easier entry into NZL, however I am not following those developments.

The most attractive part of the manifest, AFAIC, is that NZL citizens (in certain industrys ie: software developement, ...) can hold 100% equity and directorship of a Thai company.

Yes, Mr Helen Clarke turned up at Sonkran celebrations in Auckland last week.first time she has ever turned up. :o

Incorrect.She was there in 2004 aswell.

But only because the agreement was coming up. :D

She likes Thai people about as much as she like Rugby!

where do u get your mis-information from ?

Actually she is the MP for Mt. Albert. The suburb where the songkarn celebrations were held.

Yes, Mr Helen Clarke turned up at Sonkran celebrations in Auckland last week.first time she has ever turned up. :o

Incorrect.She was there in 2004 aswell.

But only because the agreement was coming up. :D

She likes Thai people about as much as she like Rugby!

where do u get your mis-information from ?

Actually she is the MP for Mt. Albert. The suburb where the songkarn celebrations were held.

Pen, I am well aware of where Mr Clarkes elec office is.

I was taking the piss. The country is actually run by Heather Simpson. :D

"The most attractive part of the manifest, AFAIC, is that NZL citizens (in certain industrys ie: software developement, ...) can hold 100% equity and directorship of a Thai company."

I went to see a business advisor at SunbeltAsia today and was told that the 100% equity and 100% directorship in effect means nothing, it doesn't change the status quo and that the USA remains the only country that can have complete control of their business. She said a New Zealand business can't have 100% New Zealand directorship they still require 4 out of 7 promoters whatever that means and I could not open a business with 100% New Zealander directorship there would need to be at least 4 of 7 Thai directors and I could only have 49% of the shares and the Thais 51%, however they would legally tie it up so that in effect the Thai shareholders have no actual authority in the company. Is this fact or is the woman shitting through a straw?

MFAT

3.1.2 Services/temporary entry/investment

Thailand will take some steps under the CEP towards easing and clarifying the conditions under which New Zealand business people enter and operate in Thailand. These are similar to the commitments made to Australia in respect of work permits and visas. They cover short-term business visitors, intra-corporate transferees and investors.

New Zealand and Thailand are committed to entering into negotiations on the liberalisation of trade in services within three years. This will provide an opportunity to negotiate a services component to the CEP with wider coverage than Thailand is currently in a position to provide.

The CEP provides for additional protections against arbitrary treatment for New Zealand investments, including appropriate protection against expropriation unless internationally accepted criteria are met.

Thailand is committed to maintaining the right to 100 percent New Zealand ownership and control of investments in a number of manufacturing sectors in Thailand.

In addition to the letter of the provisions on investment, the CEP has the potential to make New Zealand and Thai business people more alert to the mutually beneficial opportunities for pooling the strengths of each country through investment, joint ventures and collaboration in third markets.

More information on outcomes in these areas is contained in Annex 1.

"The most attractive part of the manifest, AFAIC, is that NZL citizens (in certain industrys ie: software developement, ...) can hold 100% equity and directorship of a Thai company."

I went to see a business advisor at SunbeltAsia today and was told that the 100% equity and 100% directorship in effect means nothing, it doesn't change the status quo and that the USA remains the only country that can have complete control of their business. She said a New Zealand business can't have 100% New Zealand directorship they still require 4 out of 7 promoters whatever that means and I could not open a business with 100% New Zealander directorship there would need to be at least 4 of 7 Thai directors and I could only have 49% of the shares and the Thais 51%, however they would legally tie it up so that in effect the Thai shareholders have no actual authority in the company. Is this fact or is the woman shitting through a straw?

Well I have personally discussed on have ongoing communications with the NZL government on the matter.In certain limited sectors, under the new CEP agreement (signed 19th April), equity participation can be up to 100% by NZLers and directorship can be up to 100% by NZLers. Please follow the link I posted earlier in the thread. For more info contact the NZL Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Well I have personally discussed on have ongoing communications with the NZL government on the matter.In certain limited sectors, under the new CEP agreement (signed 19th April), equity participation can be up to 100% by NZLers and directorship can be up to 100% by NZLers. Please follow the link I posted earlier in the thread. For more info contact the NZL Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

What limited sectors did you discuss with the Govt?

What limited sectors did you discuss with the Govt?

Software Design and Development. I work for a US headquarted software firm with a presence in LOS (where I have been deployed for many years). I have provided consulation to NZL MFAT officials.

One of the more interesting things on the MFAT web site is this comment

"New Zealand has also agreed to explore the scope for developing a system to recognise the qualifications of traditional Thai massage therapists with a view to facilitating their entry into New Zealand for temporary employment purposes"

Now if there was ever a way anybody with any clues could get "working girls" in the country....this would be it.

A quick 10 week course at Dr somchais massage school for the Intellectually advanced..a brief history of legit work..and hey presto, a legit work permit! :o

"New Zealand has also agreed to explore the scope for developing a system to recognise the qualifications of traditional Thai massage therapists with a view to facilitating their entry into New Zealand for temporary employment purposes"

Now if there was ever a way anybody with any clues could get "working girls" in the country....this would be it.

A quick 10 week course at Dr somchais massage school for the Intellectually advanced..a brief history of legit work..and hey presto, a legit work permit! :o

As it is a temporary permit , I would presume that all the standard immigraton requirements would still be enforced(reason to return to LOS etc...), therefore certified or not, you average working girl will still get denied. It would be like a 90 day tourist visa, with the condition that you can work during those 90 days(which you can not do on a tourist visa, and study visas have work limitations.)

As it is a temporary permit , I would presume that all the standard immigraton requirements would still be enforced(reason to return to LOS etc...), therefore certified or not, you average working girl will still get denied. It would be like a 90 day tourist visa, with the condition that you can work during those 90 days(which you can not do on a tourist visa, and study visas have work limitations.)

I was a bit tongue in cheek, but they will still try and now they have a much better chance etc.It will also be interesting on how long they give the WP for.If it's only three months, then it would hardly seem worth the effort for any "legit" therapist to work in NZ at all.

The best thing about the whole deal is that NZ Beef tariff drops from 40% to 30% over night. Hopefully the drop will not only make steak a little less expensive, but much more widley available.

I was a bit tongue in cheek, but they will still try and now they have a much better chance etc.It will also be interesting on how long they give the WP for.If it's only three months, then it would hardly seem worth the effort for any "legit" therapist to work in NZ at all.

The best thing about the whole deal is that NZ Beef tariff drops from 40% to 30% over night. Hopefully the drop will not only make steak a little less expensive, but much more widley available.

what about lamb ? I am sick of bringing my own sheep back with me :D