New Mitsubishi Lancer Ex Gt

VespaSeeker

Just seen the new Lancer at the BKK motor show last weekend , nice looking motor with some features i like the sound of , sensor lights , paddle shift gear etc , decent price too around 1,039000bt for the GT model , anybody bought one yet or any thoughts ?

My Missus talked me out of a new D-max truck , actually she's right dont really need a truck so left now with the slim choice of Sedans here , Honda Toyota etc , no way i am paying double money for any other imported makes ! .

Seems most here only buy Toyotas and Hondas, baaaaaa. Then they will wax lyrical about the excitement of their Jazz, hmmm. And they are competent cars, but I get sick of looking at other peoples let alone inflicting that on myself. Buy what you like, dare to be different.

I followed one the other day, it looked good but I did think the tyres were quite slim for such a car. What size motor has it got? 2 litre?

I personally think the civic would be a better car, it has tiptronic gear shifts as well.

HHmm feel the same way , so many Toyotas and Hondas on the road and i do like something a little different , had a better look at the car today in a Pattaya Mitshubishi dealership , actually cant decide if i like the styling or not , the rear end of the car looks very high , didin't notice the width of the tyres ,only that they were nice 18" alloys as standard and yes the engine on the GT model is a 2 litre

Inside the car looks decent , bit of carbon on the dash and the paddle shift gear thingy looks cool , just worried maybe as being a new gadged in these cars are they likely too suffer problems , dont want to be forking out for a new motor and changing gearboxes or something a few thousand KM in .

Also sorry for my complete ignorance but what on earth is tiptronic gear shift ? Does that mean can change between manaul and atomatic ?

Edited by VespaSeeker

HHmm feel the same way , so many Toyotas and Hondas on the road and i do like something a little different , had a better look at the car today in a Pattaya Mitshubishi dealership , actually cant decide if i like the styling or not , the rear end of the car looks very high , didin't notice the width of the tyres ,only that they were nice 18" alloys as standard and yes the engine on the GT model is a 2 litre

Inside the car looks decent , bit of carbon on the dash and the paddle shift gear thingy looks cool , just worried maybe as being a new gadged in these cars are they likely too suffer problems , dont want to be forking out for a new motor and changing gearboxes or something a few thousand KM in .

Also sorry for my complete ignorance but what on earth is tiptronic gear shift ? Does that mean can change between manaul and atomatic ?

This model is only 'new' to Thailand in other open markets(rest of the world?) where they can't fob the punters off with endless makeovers it's been around for a couple of years so i would not think there will be a problem technically.

New Lancer has scored very badly in fuel consumption tests - way below the rest of its class.

I think I saw 28 mpg mentioned somewhere :D

Cheers

MPG :) Thailand works in litres&kilometers if only fuel comsumption is a criteria i guess look no further than a Cherry QQ. A fair report on the 1.8 today in Bangkok Post 2.0 gt last week puts the cars dynamically above the Civic & Corolla, so i would think the decision is wether you wan't to enjoy your driving experience and be different or join the masses in their thiking.

Hmm that fuel consumption is a worry , I seen a post by a Chap from Malaysia i think it was claiming he was getting 13.1 Km to the Litre driving on expressway ,

so by my online calculations using converter websites ,

1 gallon = 4.5 litres

13.1 KM = 8.1 miles

4.5 * 8.1 = 36.45miles to the Gallon

Its early and i have not had my Bacon & Eggs yet + my maths is normally pants so please correct me if i am wrong .

If my calculations are by some miracle correct 36miles to the gallon seems pretty decent and in line with most sedans on offer .

• 3 months later...
So is it any better than the Civics performance wise?

Well not had a chance to take either car for a decent test drive , but i did have a little spin in a Civic last week and i didn't like it , inside the car is decent enought but from your driving position you cannot see the end of the bonnet or any part of the rear of the car throught the rear window , maybe this is somehing you get used to , but i like to be able to tell where these bits of the car are when i am driving and parking !

I remember Jeremy Clarkson ridiculing a car for these same design faults a few years back on Top Gear .

Anyway with the exchange rate being pants right now i have managed to keep my self away from car dealers .

If you're not concerned about resale value, it's a great choice in it's segment IMHO. Well built, well featured, nicely styled and keenly priced.

dont want to be forking out for a new motor and changing gearboxes or something a few thousand KM in .

Mitsubishi's come with a 5 year/150,000KM warranty so that'd probably be something for the next onwer to worry about :)

Is that a trick question? :D Seriously, how could it not be - even in 2.0L form the Civic is downright pedestrian.

I had the 1.8 liter Civic and can tell you that hiway mileage (yes, mileage, I'm that old) was consistently 40 mpg. In town a different matter, I never actually checked it, but I do know I was at the gas station every other day.

My Pajero Sport is not as good on the hiway, about 30 mpg, but then it is a whole lot more vehicle. Around town and doing a lot of idling, you can't beat a diesel.

If you're not concerned about resale value, it's a great choice in it's segment IMHO. Well built, well featured, nicely styled and keenly priced.
dont want to be forking out for a new motor and changing gearboxes or something a few thousand KM in .

Mitsubishi's come with a 5 year/150,000KM warranty so that'd probably be something for the next onwer to worry about :)

Is that a trick question? :D Seriously, how could it not be - even in 2.0L form the Civic is downright pedestrian.

I guess I wan't clear enough, am talking about the ride quality and the KMPL (km/L) rating. I have to say though, having seen one on the road in black, it didn't look too hot.

From reading the reviews, the 1.8 version is the better overall buy. I've read the 2.0 had good straight line acceleration, probably in line with the civic 2.0 (the mitsubishi has a bit more torque though). The thai version of the 2.0 ex is really stripped down. In the Philippines they have a great sound system and multiple airbags. I could count the number of ex's Ive seen over several months on one hand. That doesn't mean it isn't a good car; it's just the Thai mentality that only T and H cars are worth having.

Well not had a chance to take either car for a decent test drive , but i did have a little spin in a Civic last week and i didn't like it , inside the car is decent enought but from your driving position you cannot see the end of the bonnet or any part of the rear of the car throught the rear window , maybe this is somehing you get used to , but i like to be able to tell where these bits of the car are when i am driving and parking !

I remember Jeremy Clarkson ridiculing a car for these same design faults a few years back on Top Gear .

Anyway with the exchange rate being pants right now i have managed to keep my self away from car dealers .

You could always put one of these on each corner to solve that problem, Jeremy could use them too for that matter..

TRS2821.jpg:D:)

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 2 months later...