Visa For Thai Visiting The U.s.?

Hello,

I would like my cousin to visit me in the U.S. during the summer for two weeks. She is Thai, does she need to go to the U.S. consulate to obtain a tourist visa? What is it I have to do from my end in order for this to go smoothly? I have a U.S. green card but I am Thai/German citizen.

I would appreciate every suggestion.

Thank you,

Anita

Hello,

I would like my cousin to visit me in the U.S. during the summer for two weeks. She is Thai, does she need to go to the U.S. consulate to obtain a tourist visa? What is it I have to do from my end in order for this to go smoothly? I have a U.S. green card but I am Thai/German citizen.

I would appreciate every suggestion.

Thank you,

Anita

this website may help

http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Hi -

Just back from the states with a Thai Friend. I'm European so no need for visa. Thai friend needed and was a bit more tricky. Just be prepared. Have documentation, documentation, documentation! Fill out everything they ask for. Form is relatively simple. He had letter from Bank and copies of credit card. Letter from job. House registration and so on. 7 week wait for interview. But in the end got 10 year visa. Now while we were there we saw many people turned down. No job. No education. No money. Sorry - but no visa. They very strict it seemed. Middle class and up will be no problem.

Good Luck

My fiance (Thai) applied for a US tourist visa last December. Even with work guarantees, money in the bank, college education, etc. she was denied the visa. Apparently there was NOT enough compelling reason for her to return to Thailand. Beware that the embassy person is in a GOD-LIKE position of decision making and can OK or deny a visa just because he doesn't like the way you sit in your chair for the interview. No joke. I wrote my congressman about the situation and he agreed that the person from the embassy has too much authority but because of the red-tape involved with US immigration laws little can be done to correct this situation.

I know it is very difficult if not impossible for a female to get a visa to the US but I do not know how difficult it is for a male to get the same visa.

It's too bad your person wanting a visa is not from Mexico. All she would have to do is get across the border and she would be able to work, draw welfare, vote, or do anything else she wanted. We have about 6 million illegal mexicans in the US right now and nothing is being done about it. If I sound a little irritated, I am. You go through the correct channels and you get denied. You come across the border illegally and you have it made.

I wish you the best of luck obtaining the visa you need. I currently have the paperwork in progress for a fiance visa and even this process will take about 5 or 6 months.

:o

A fiance applying for a tourist visa to visit her boyfriend in the US is a different thing from someone applying for a tourist visa to visit her cousin. After all, the fiance is already agreeing to sever ties with Thailand at some point (presumably), so showing a reason to return will always be problematic.

Back up everything with documentation, even if it comes to a copy of your and her birth certificates, and maybe your parent's birth certificates, to show the relationship.

Reason to return is always the challenge on a tourist visa, but for someone with a job in Thailand, home in Thailand, family in Thailand, and money in the bank in Thailand, a visit to a proven relative should be straightforward.

If you're missing one or more of those, you'll need better documentation for the other areas. (or ask nicely at the embassy if there's additional documentation of some sort that would do in it's place...)

Ironically, if your cousin is married, or has children, and husband and/or kids aren't going, the embassy will usually be a lot happier on the reason to return.

Thanks so much for all your replies. Whow, this is much more challenging than I thought it would be.

The thing is that my cousin doesn't come from a middle class family in Thailand, her family in fact is poor and I am always contributing to their lives. That means she won't be able to show that she has money in her bank account. She has a BBA from a Thai university though...

How about I or my father here in the U.S. provide banks statements? Could that work?

I have a citibank account here which I know is also over there in Bangkok....but it is under my name...

Does anyone have an idea how much money she would need to have?

Thanks again for all your help.

Anita :o

If she is poor with no strong reasons to return to Thailand having you involved as support in the US is not going to be of much help as there are just too many who travel and do not return (that is the reason for the visa requirement in the first place). If there was no problem of overstays the visa process would be much less restrictive or not even needed (as in the case of many countries). Sorry but it does not sound likely she would be successful if no job or other strong reasons for return. Using your money only proves she has friends in the US (who could help her stay?).

As for the denial of a tourist visa (from other poster) to a finance it should be obvious that the application was not for the current type of visa (unless he is resident in Thailand and plans to remain here). The Consul is very restricted and has to be able to support his decisions.

Mistakes are made; and the system is not perfect but it all boils down to the record of those before you. Get the overstay problem under control and walls can come down. We are all victims here.

My cousin does have a stable job in Bangkok so it's not like she is unemployed.

She also has a business degree from a Thai University. I am not sure if her salary would be considered average...she makes about 8000 Baht a month. How much is a Thai to make to be considered middle class with a chance to come and visit the US?

Thanks guys

~Anita

She also has a business degree from a Thai University. I am not sure if her salary would be considered average...she makes about 8000 Baht a month. How much is a Thai to make to be considered middle class with a chance to come and visit the US?

Thanks guys

~Anita

She needs to take a letter from her employer to the US Embassy confirming her employment and confirming that her job remains open for her to return to upon her return to Thailand. A letter from you will help too.

Thanks guys

~Anita

You did not mention that she had employment before and from your post it seemed you were supporting her. If she has a job and can get leave and letter from employer and you add letter that she will be staying with you so will not have expenses while in the US it might be possible. The salary is low so some explanation of how she can afford the trip will probably be needed (which could be in your letter). It is worth a try but try not to get her hopes too high until the visa is in hand.

Also, if she is going to have paperwork form her employer, copies of payslips, as many as possible, from as far back as possible would be a good idea as well.

They are very nice at the Embassy, but they are government employees. The more paperwork you give them to back up your case, the better off you will be.

Good Luck