Brt Bus Service

azza09

• 7 months later...

Bangkok's bus service of the future is here and now. BRT is up and running, for free as of now. I've taken it twice so far, and like it. More detailed report to follow shortly, after a few more rides. For now, I just want to recommend it, bump this thread, and recommend anyone to try this new public transit service.

Bangkok's bus service of the future is here and now. BRT is up and running, for free as of now. I've taken it twice so far, and like it. More detailed report to follow shortly, after a few more rides. For now, I just want to recommend it, bump this thread, and recommend anyone to try this new public transit service.

Is it a guided bus? ie does it run on some sort of tracks or within its own lanes?.

I also worry that there still isn't enough room for the rest of the busses,cars,motorbikes,trucks and tuk tuks.

Is it a guided bus? ie does it run on some sort of tracks or within its own lanes?.

I also worry that there still isn't enough room for the rest of the busses,cars,motorbikes,trucks and tuk tuks.

Buses are only actually guided when docking at the stations, the rest of the route has a segregated lane, much behind a curb to supposedly keep other vehicles out (slightly effective) and the rest behind a line which is totally ineffective at keeping other vehicles out.

No bus priority at junctions yet (system not installed) and no revenue collection system as yet, although when it is working your Skytrain smartcard should work for the BRT (BRT is operated by KT, the same outfit who operate the 2.2km south extension of the BTS).

As far as I am concerned, and from my view, the BRT, as it now works, does more harm than good.  I drive past the Mall Thaphra and down Rama 3 several times a week.  On the Southern route in Thon Buri, the BRT lane is designated by a painted line, and by a curb on Rama 3.  In the northern direction, it has a curb.

Going south, every taxi, car, and bus fills the BRT lane.  In front of the Mall, that is usually the only way to get past as the multitude of other buses and taxis block the remaining lanes as they discharge and take in passengers (who then have to wend their way through the other cars to get to the curb.  The only time i have actually seen an actual  BRT bus in either direction, it was sitting in the same traffic as all other cars.

Once over the bridge and on Rama 3, the route was rarely congested before.  Now it is routinely congested until the Sathupradi Road junction.  When you take a three-lane road down to two, this is the result.  More so as taxis and the other buses stop in either lane as they will for the interchange of passengers.

On the northbound side, congestion is much, much worse.  It is now quicker to use Sathorn and Sapan Taksin to get into Thon Buri.

Eliminating a traffic lane is not the way to go.  A BRT should only be emplaced where an extra lane can be built.  Then, other buses need to be reduced or restricted.  And vehicles discharging or taking in passengers should be strictly limited to the left lane.  

BRT's work in other places where traffic laws are better observed and other traffic is not constrained.  Unless there are changes as the system is expanded, I see the Bangkok version of the BRT as causing more congestion than relieving it.

As far as I am concerned, and from my view, the BRT, as it now works, does more harm than good. I drive past the Mall Thaphra and down Rama 3 several times a week. On the Southern route in Thon Buri, the BRT lane is designated by a painted line, and by a curb on Rama 3. In the northern direction, it has a curb.

Going south, every taxi, car, and bus fills the BRT lane. In front of the Mall, that is usually the only way to get past as the multitude of other buses and taxis block the remaining lanes as they discharge and take in passengers (who then have to wend their way through the other cars to get to the curb. The only time i have actually seen an actual BRT bus in either direction, it was sitting in the same traffic as all other cars.

Once over the bridge and on Rama 3, the route was rarely congested before. Now it is routinely congested until the Sathupradi Road junction. When you take a three-lane road down to two, this is the result. More so as taxis and the other buses stop in either lane as they will for the interchange of passengers.

On the northbound side, congestion is much, much worse. It is now quicker to use Sathorn and Sapan Taksin to get into Thon Buri.

Eliminating a traffic lane is not the way to go. A BRT should only be emplaced where an extra lane can be built. Then, other buses need to be reduced or restricted. And vehicles discharging or taking in passengers should be strictly limited to the left lane.

BRT's work in other places where traffic laws are better observed and other traffic is not constrained. Unless there are changes as the system is expanded, I see the Bangkok version of the BRT as causing more congestion than relieving it.

Well I live also in the corner of Narratiwat and Rama 3. I have to disagree with you. Every morning I go to work in the Silom area and every evening i come back. I never drive Narratiwat, its been terrible traffic before the BRT and now its same or worst I don't know nor care because there is many other roads to take that are traffic free. Rama 3 to Silom takes me 15 minutes... and going to thon Buri, i always took Saphan Sathorn as there is no traffic in that direction. The traffic is from Thon Burin to Sathorn. So it's not much different. I see the BRT as a good thing for people who don't own a car and needed to go to work by the old bus or taxi before. They now save time and money. Must be also better for pollution.

I drive on Rama3 everyday along the BRT line and never had a problem. The bus also pass every 3-5 minutes. If you want to see the terminal go to Sathorn Narratiwat and you will see how many departures of bus and how many people use it if you really believe it is useless.

I drive a car also but we have to respect others who chose an other way of transportation. I know that many people feel they are more worthy and should have priority because of their car... these are the people who usually cause all the traffic. So many times when there is traffic it is because a retarded driver went into the wrong lane or tried to push at the red light but is stock in the middle and is blocking the other way.

The traffic is not caused by the BRT but by the behavior of all the drivers.

PS: Also the BRT is not using a lane all by itself except on Narratiwat from what i saw. In Rama 3 the lane is open to use by cars except at the station of course...

Eliminating a traffic lane is not the way to go.  A BRT should only be emplaced where an extra lane can be built.

BRT's work in other places where traffic laws are better observed and other traffic is not constrained.  Unless there are changes as the system is expanded, I see the Bangkok version of the BRT as causing more congestion than relieving it.

I'd have to disagree with you on the first point, additional streetcar only lanes were built in Toronto eating up a lane on each side. It caused massive car traffic jars but people also switched to public transit a lot more.

On the second point, I'd agree wholeheartedly, enforcement if the rules should be more rigid and uniform…through the use of ticketing by video camera.