Suay Mok

alaina

Different time zones boo, you beat me to it! Unbelievable what some people will post.

:o

This guy seems to have a chip on his shoulder a mile wide and with his level of English, rational discussion is pretty much impossible.

And while they're at it, could the mods please ban his irritating avatar too? :D

Pearl, Thais love compliments, so I think you'll probably get the "suay maak" comment quite often. A simple "thank you" in Thai or English would be a good reply. From what I've seen, farang women will get this compliment if they have pale skin, blonde/red/brown hair, a straight nose and blue/green eyes. If you are a blue-eyed blonde, you can't go wrong. I don't think you'd get such a comment based only on being anatomically different, whether it be an hour-glass figure or big boobs. My female colleagues are more likely to refer to a young woman as "sexy" if she has a statuesque figure.

Us guys get lots of compliments about being "handsome" too, but it's usually because we are wearing a smart suit and tie or we've changed the way we look. It doesn't necessarily mean we have handsome features.

One thing the Thai female staff kept saying was that I am very pretty.  (I am not bragging, and I figure I'm just okay but lets say that I am very different anatomically than most Thai women and very pale.)

Tan yourself asap.

P.S.: I had been tanned a lot in the summer. So no Thai ppl say "suay mak" to me any more. haha :o

Well, I doubt most people would go to such extremes to avoid compliments, Anna. Besides, as a white-skinned person, tanning is never a good solution. Ruins the lovely skin, you know.

Well, I doubt most people would go to such extremes to avoid compliments, Anna. Besides, as a white-skinned person, tanning is never a good solution. Ruins the lovely skin, you know.

Right you are!

Tanning is nothing more than dying skin-cells... :o

LaoPo

My mom never suntanned and, at 65, has the skin of a much younger woman. Her friend from school always had a tan, and looks like an old shoe. In fact, she doesn't even suntan anymore but is still permanently brown. She is cooked well done. :o .