Really Trying To Like Boxer, But....

Curt1591

Looking for a 250 CC bike. After reading the praise, on these boards, for the Boxer, I was leaning in that direction. Then I started to investigate it.

After a couple months of searching, I have yet to see a 250. I finally found Tiger Bangkok, but they don't have one. They have one Tiger, a 150 scooter, and lots of Sachs.

They told me to arrange a test drive through Samut Prakan. One would be brought to Bangkok by appointment. Called Samut Prakan. They don't have one!

At the BKK Tiger shop, I did see a couple dozen 200's waiting for service. Mostly cop bikes.

I didn't see one Tiger amongst the employee's bikes, mostly Hondas.

My big concern is, if I am having so much trouble trying to find the bike, how much luck will I have with parts and service?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Curt1591

There's a Ninja 250 for sale in the classifieds :)

Thanks, but I'm not a rice rocket kind of guy. I don't like riding prone.

I'm considering the D-Tracker. Although, stock, it's supposedly a dog, topping out at a mere 110 KPH, my rides are mostly city commutes. I'm more after strength and maneuverability than speed.

I'm considering the D-Tracker. Although, stock, it's supposedly a dog, topping out at a mere 110 KPH, my rides are mostly city commutes. I'm more after strength and maneuverability than speed.

Done in 15 minutes to restrict the electonic emision control. Just move some wires on the ECU, and have full power

Go sit on a Ninja 250R and take one for a spin before you write it off as a rice rocket- it's actually a lot more neutral than you might expect.

The stock D-tracker is absolutely a dog, but that's because it is restricted to pass the Thai emissions. Derestrict and add an aftermarket pipe and you'll be able to cruise along at 140km/hr no problem. And the D-Tracker is an awesome urban assault vehicle.

Regarding the Boxer250RS all owners I know have given it glowing reviews, but they all live out in the country. I'd be a bit wary of riding the air cooled Boxer 250RS in hot and heavy city traffic...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Don't worry about the power of the D-tracker!

As mentioned above, easily solved.

I ride a KLX, same engine, and easily keep 120 with some reserve to overtake.

Really very well balanced bike and fun to ride, I assume the D-tracker to be the same...

I'd also go with the CBR150R or the D-Tracker.

The latter is easily de-restricted, as mentioned above. You can either do it yourself, or pay someone a little bit of money - no need to go for the replacement ECU at BHT 8,000. De-restriction is not just for top speed, it's for any speed in gears 3 and up - makes it feel like a proper and nice 250.

The Tiger 250 is a lot cheaper than the D-Tracker (I think) but IMO you get what you pay for. There are no magic tricks involved, everyone's just cooking with water here.

Edited by nikster

I never found a Boxer "250" except once, in Patpong Soi Song. I'm told they have two dealers up north here on Thanon Wainotfindme or Soi Sapachulapayapadaddy, but I've never seen a Boxer "250" all year now. I see CBR150's every day. Got lost this week in parking lot abd found an identical twin to mine. At least five local CBR big dealers (but no need for repairs) and my village mechanic 28 meters south of my house repaired mine after the wreck.

Thanks for all the input. Any other insights are welcome.

Beginning to feel that the D-Tracker might do the trick. I'm not really looking for speed, just a bit more power/strength. My little Wave really works too hard!

Besides, there seems to be an easy fix to the speed issue, if it becomes an issue.

I also like the ride height. I already see beyond most Thai riders. The D-Tracker will give me an even better vantage point.

Curt. Can i ask what the address is of the Tiger dealer in Bangkok. Was it the Factory dealer or was it P-Bike the (supposed national dealer) I have also forwarded you post to Khun Pariya from Tiger. I will post his response.

Thanks Allan

Also Kata. the police are having problems with service NOT because of Tiger, but because the Police Bosses have ripped off the service budget. so there is no cash for servicing (ALL parts for the Tiger 200/250 are available from the factory next day). Also i believe that the vast majority of Tigers outside BKK actually belong to the individual police officer and not the police force. But i may be wrong about that.

Edited by thaicbr

Curt. Can i ask what the address is of the Tiger dealer in Bangkok. Was it the Factory dealer or was it P-Bike the (supposed national dealer) I have also forwarded you post to Khun Pariya from Tiger. I will post his response.

Thanks Allan

I was the location near Phahon Yothin soi 35, just north of Ratchadapisek.

If this is the Tiger "factory" spot, you might also have Khun Pariya train his "sales" staff. Usually, when I approach a showroom/lot, I experience sales people knocking down stuff, trying to get to the farang. Here, we had to hunt down and interrupt a couple staff from their chat. It wasn't until we were wrapping up our visit that a guy showed up who actually seemed to care we were there.

Here's another police boss situation!

Edited by Curt1591

Thanks Allan

Also Kata. the police are having problems with service NOT because of Tiger, but because the Police Bosses have ripped off the service budget. so there is no cash for servicing (ALL parts for the Tiger 200/250 are available from the factory next day). Also i believe that the vast majority of Tigers outside BKK actually belong to the individual police officer and not the police force. But i may be wrong about that.

Allan, you could be right about the service budget.

Police force owned bikes have maroon plates. Not seen any privately owned police Tigers in Hua Hin or Phuket

They are happy with the police forced owned CBRs and BMWs though

Kata. just cos they got the maroon plate does not mean they are force owned. Here in SAmphran my mechanic fixes the local police big bikes. All are owned by the police personally and all have maroon plates except one and thats because it already had a plate and the owner could not be bothered getting a maroon plate

Ok. below is the answer i got from Khun Pariya at Tiger. It would seem that because they are doing a good job of making special orders for customers that they cannot manufacture as they normally would also with it being year end the stock has run down. Umm ok they are a small company compared to the big 4. This still should not happen but ok.

BUT i ask how many of the big 4 would let you design your own paint scheme and add different parts as a factory option?

The good news is that they will be offering a more economic model which depending on the price would be interesting.

Dear Allan

Thanks for the info.

To be honest, we are really out of 250RS this month, our show unit here also had been sold. I am still having about 5 back order for the 250RS.

As for the production, before we made the 250RS i.e. 1 time = 50 units but the problem is that most of customer want something different i.e. specs, color, etc. So now it is better to make per order, and as it's coming up to the end of the year, the suppliers are very difficult to ask for more order from them.

Next year we will have a more economic 250, ie. the 250 without special parts i.e. aluminum, racing muffler but these will remain as options.

We are getting our test bike back today, so there should be no complain about there is no bike to see now. It is funny that before when we have a lot of stock, not many people were interested.

Best Regards,

Pariya

I never found a Boxer "250" except once, in Patpong Soi Song. I'm told they have two dealers up north here on Thanon Wainotfindme or Soi Sapachulapayapadaddy, but I've never seen a Boxer "250" all year now. I see CBR150's every day. Got lost this week in parking lot abd found an identical twin to mine. At least five local CBR big dealers (but no need for repairs) and my village mechanic 28 meters south of my house repaired mine after the wreck.

Hey, Peace. Had to laugh at your comments. Few weeks back I came out of Tesco on the road to Hang Dong and found my black CBR was now flanked on both sides with identical ones. Three in a row. Well, not quite "identical", as mine has the dragon decals and the box on the back, but other than that.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new in the tiger tread?

Here´s my last expericence: Coming back to LOS after 10month , put the CX out of the garage, battery joined, opened gas and...................THE VERY FIRST KICK, ENGINE WORKS!! WOW!

What I allways do before I go home, close gas, let the engine run until stopps. Then there is no gas in the carb anymore.

Edited by HangDongRider

Nothing new in the tiger tread?

Here´s my last expericence: Coming back to LOS after 10month , put the CX out of the garage, battery joined, opened gas and...................THE VERY FIRST KICK, ENGINE WORKS!! WOW!

What I allways do before I go home, close gas, let the engine run until stopps. Then there is no gas in the carb anymore.

I believe most of the Tiger owners have gone to another forum. Tired of all the drama here I suppose... :)

Hi,

I've seen a few Tiger 250 RS Boxers in bangkok, the few times I went there. And they have been visibly growing in numbers.

Seems the production is sold out (overseas? to the Philipines?) and there is a waiting list.

Tried and failed to buy a used onw twice, so their owners like them. And a few regular TV posters love them.

I like the engine characteristics and the riding position. Why not check out some video at the website of some afficionados? www.tigersachsclub.com

Even unloved cop bikes in Aranyaprethet sounded sweet and the one part showing issues was the exhaust manifold, but that might be due to mud caking it over and over again.

Some guys I've been in touch with have ridden the 250 Boxer tens of thousandss of trouble free miles. And the warranty is pretty good. the bike is pretty good - even on a 1.000 km trip with a Ninja 250 as second bike.

I believe it's a capable bike with good farang ergonomics (as much as I like the CBR 150 concept, a 100 kg fattie looks like the frog on the German shoe shine brand Erdal metal box).

There has been testimony to super warranty service - and the brand is certainly not producing junk like Phantoms.

Am waiting to buy one next week, used and the 200 cc. I wouldn't do that if I had concerns about the brand, built quality or service. disclaimer: I'm in Nonthaburi, not some far away province.

We all have different likes and dislikes. Some choppers with ape hangers I would dread to ride for a mile give a hard on to others. Some like supersports bikes and I'm thinking aching knees and wrists. i loved the 2-stroke RD 350 YPVS, others hate strokers. But here's what I'm asking for:

be fair. Name a spade a spade and if you know a Tiger breaking down all the time, say so. But unfounded, hearsay based bashing is not a good thing.

Next, someone will say Honda Waves are junk etc. Which wouldn't be true, of course.

But if my own experiences with the Tiger will be bad, I'll certainly say so.

Let's hear from folks who rode and owned one, okay?

It's an Italian design. It's a capable bike with decent brakes and a good exhaust which will last for many years. Parts are cheap. Service is manageable for a true bike mechanic who gets the usual parts like fresh oil filter with a new seal.

For me, engine characteristic and ergonomics are key points.

Maybe the Liffey (?) 250 cc introduced by Richard BKK is a good bike and better value - I don't know that one, never saw one. Yes, I have preconceptions about Chinese brands but why shouldn't be there a diamond among the rubble?

Enjoy what you ride and be fair in your comments.

Chris