One Way Ticket To Australia

Carpy,

I can't give you a definitive answer on that one. What I can say is this, your wife has obviously been assessed as a 'genuine visitor' otherwise she would not have been granted her tourist visa.

However, when she arrives in Australia, if she is questioned by immigration about not having an onward tickets, what will she say? Keep in mind that immigration want to be convinced that she will not overstay or work whilst in Australia, that is contravene the conditions of her tourist visa.

Does she have adequate funds to support herself whilst in Australia, or access to adequate funds? Did you provide a letter of support with her application? Will those funds also cover the return airfare.

If I was in your position, I would see that she leaves Thailand with a return ticket.

Your wife should obtain a return ticket and carry the printout of the E-ticket with her in case

Immigration / Customs in Australia do ask if she has a return ticket. They may ask. My wife was not asked for a return ticket over 3 years ago but when she applied for an extension it was the first thing that was asked for.

Carpy,

I can't give you a definitive answer on that one. What I can say is this, your wife has obviously been assessed as a 'genuine visitor' otherwise she would not have been granted her tourist visa.

However, when she arrives in Australia, if she is questioned by immigration about not having an onward tickets, what will she say? Keep in mind that immigration want to be convinced that she will not overstay or work whilst in Australia, that is contravene the conditions of her tourist visa.

Does she have adequate funds to support herself whilst in Australia, or access to adequate funds? Did you provide a letter of support with her application? Will those funds also cover the return airfare.

If I was in your position, I would see that she leaves Thailand with a return ticket.

If I were an Immigration Officer, I would be suspicious. Personally, as I am right now, I am almost sure she is not going to return. It is a common knoledge that price of 1 way ticket is practically the same as a return ticket. Strange, but this is a fact. So, WHY? :)

Just a quick question that I hope someone can help me with.Can my wife who has a 3 month tourist visa to Australia leave Thailand on a one way ticket.Or does she have to have a return.Any answers will be greatly apprieciated.

She will be fine. A DIAC officer has assessed the visit as genuine.

She will not be refused entry because she doens't have a return

ticket.

It is not a condition of the visa to have a return ticket.

Regards

Will

Forget the nitty gritty of whether she should have a return ticket or not......

The rule of thumb is that she should have a return ticket OR the funds OR access to the funds to purchase one......

While it is fine to say she doesnt need one or that there is no requirement to have one, what we are saying is that to avoid any possible hassles or questioning on entry to Australia, it is advisable to have one so that the passengers entry to Oz goes as smooth as possible and doesnt cause her any unnecessary stress.

Edited by gburns57au

Forget the nitty gritty of whether she should have a return ticket or not......

The rule of thumb is that she should have a return ticket OR the funds OR access to the funds to purchase one......

While it is fine to say she doesnt need one or that there is no requirement to have one, what we are saying is that to avoid any possible hassles or questioning on entry to Australia, it is advisable to have one so that the passengers entry to Oz goes as smooth as possible and doesnt cause her any unnecessary stress.

Of course it's preferable but not necessary.

The visa was granted so presumably the officer

was convinced that she or the boyfriend has

sufficient funds.

If she is travelling with the boyfriend, the chances

of her even spoken to are slim at best.

I would just question why the OP is interested

anyway.

Regards

Will

I would strongly recommend you do not take the chance. Irrespective of Australian regulations some airlines can and will refuse to allow boarding the aircraft without an onwards flight out of Australia.

This has happened to me twice in recent years when flying INTO Thailand --- which most certainly does allow entry on a one way ticket -- if you have a visa.

My problem has never been with immigration --- but with airline staff applying rules which are incorrect.

Referring to visas holders entering Australia --- the Qantas website states:

" passports.

- Passenger must:

- hold tickets with confirmed onward reservations; and

- hold all documents required for next destination"

Even after a visa has been issued, it can be subsequently 'cancelled' at Oz immigration clearance if immigration are not satisfied that the holder is a 'genuine visitor'.

With all due respect Bridge, that's staing the obvious.

She is not going to have a visa cancelled for not having

a return ticket.

The OP was asking if his girlfriend HAS to have a return

ticket which the answer is no.

Regards

Will

I would strongly recommend you do not take the chance. Irrespective of Australian regulations some airlines can and will refuse to allow boarding the aircraft without an onwards flight out of Australia.

This has happened to me twice in recent years when flying INTO Thailand --- which most certainly does allow entry on a one way ticket -- if you have a visa.

My problem has never been with immigration --- but with airline staff applying rules which are incorrect.

That's flying into Thailand.

It would be extemely unlikely that someone would be

refused to board into Australia because they do not

have a return ticket. Even more so if she was travelling

with an Australian Citizen or permanent resident.

Regards

Will

Thailands rules re entry for Visa holders are well established --- it is permitted with a one way ticket----- but despite this I have been refused boarding to fly to Thailand unless I purchased an outbound flight.

This refusal was in Australia with airlines flying to Thailand.

Why would anyone assume the same cannot happen when flying to Australia ??(or into any country)

Additionally:

" passports.

- Passenger must:

Is this information from QANTAS incorrect ??

Edited by tig28

Even after a visa has been issued, it can be subsequently 'cancelled' at Oz immigration clearance if immigration are not satisfied that the holder is a 'genuine visitor'.

a return ticket.

Regards

Will

Your advice is not very helpful and potentially it could be damaging.

If it so happens that the visa holder is questioned about why they don't have a return ticket it could cause unecessary problems.

Why take the risk of being hassled?

a return ticket.

Regards

Will

Hi Wil

I suggest Bridge is making the point that holding a Visa for entry into any country does not guarantee that entry shall be permitted.

Immigration officers can and will cancel a Visa for any valid reason. One reason that is frequently quoted for such refusal is:

"I do not believe the applicant intends to honor the conditions of the visa --- IE: leave within the stated period"

I cannot think of any reason that is more suspicious in this regard than arriving on a one-way ticket ---- particularly as has been already pointed out ---

Bridge @ 2009-12-17 18:43:37) *

. It is a common knowledge that price of 1 way ticket is practically the same as a return ticket. Strange, but this is a fact. So, WHY? :)

I would also like to echo the same question to the OP--- WHY ??

With all due respect Bridge, that's stating the obvious.

a return ticket.

Regards

Will

Your advice is not very helpful and potentially it could be damaging.

If it so happens that the visa holder is questioned about why they don't have a return ticket it could cause unecessary problems.

Why take the risk of being hassled?

No my advice is correct.

If you've read the earlier posts, I said it's

preferable to have a return ticket. It is NOT

necessary. The OP asked if she HAD to have

a return ticket.

She is married to the guy and the application has

been assessed as geniune. Having no return ticket

will not be a problem.

Yes, she doesn't want to be hassled but not having

a return ticket is not grounds to cancel the visa.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

No my advice is correct.

Holy mackerel Wil

" passports.

- Passenger must:

Is this advice from the Qantas website (which is a cut & paste from the IATA website) incorrect??

a return ticket.

Regards

Will

Hi Wil

I suggest Bridge is making the point that holding a Visa for entry into any country does not guarantee that entry shall be permitted.

Immigration officers can and will cancel a Visa for any valid reason. One reason that is frequently quoted for such refusal is:

"I do not believe the applicant intends to honor the conditions of the visa --- IE: leave within the stated period"

I cannot think of any reason that is more suspicious in this regard than arriving on a one-way ticket ---- particularly as has been already pointed out ---

Bridge @ 2009-12-17 18:43:37) *

. It is a common knowledge that price of 1 way ticket is practically the same as a return ticket. Strange, but this is a fact. So, WHY? :)

I would also like to echo the same question to the OP--- WHY ??

Hi Tig.

Not having a return ticket is NOT a reason to

cancel the visa.

And this "I do not believe the applicant intends to honor the conditions of the visa --- IE: leave within the stated period"

is not correct at all.

To cancel the visa, natural justice must apply and a DIAC officer

should not cancel a visa on this premise. "They believe".

That's not a ground. She could always say she's getting her

ticket later.

If say, a Thai female travelling alone with a let's say a dodgy

history does not have a return ticket, it might lead to a more

thorough look. But if she's married and travelling with her

husband or he is waiting for her in the arrivals hall, it's honestly

not a problem.

Regards

Will

Thanks so much for all your answers.To stop a bit of the bickering.My wife has been here 2 times already and is now waiting for her spouse visa.Which I was told last week that it will not be finalised before christmas.As I wanted my wife and 2 year old son to be with me and my family for christmas ,we got a 3 month tourist visa.Our case officer told me that this tourist visa will not affect the spouse visa.She also said she would e-mail me when her spouse visa will be ready.So my wife will travel back to get her spouse visa when it is ready.1 way on Jetstar for 1 Adult and 1 child is 21,000 baht.I can not book return for wife and 1 way for my son.So just done 1 way for both and will get a return ticket here in Australia for my wife when she goes back.I hope this makes sense now.I was just wondering if she needs to show a return ticket to leave Thailand.As I have been pulled up in Australia when on a one way to Thailand.Because I was moving there.I showed my non b visa and it was no problems.

Thanks so much for all your answers.To stop a bit of the bickering.My wife has been here 2 times already and is now waiting for her spouse visa.Which I was told last week that it will not be finalised before christmas.As I wanted my wife and 2 year old son to be with me and my family for christmas ,we got a 3 month tourist visa.Our case officer told me that this tourist visa will not affect the spouse visa.She also said she would e-mail me when her spouse visa will be ready.So my wife will travel back to get her spouse visa when it is ready.1 way on Jetstar for 1 Adult and 1 child is 21,000 baht.I can not book return for wife and 1 way for my son.So just done 1 way for both and will get a return ticket here in Australia for my wife when she goes back.I hope this makes sense now.I was just wondering if she needs to show a return ticket to leave Thailand.As I have been pulled up in Australia when on a one way to Thailand.Because I was moving there.I showed my non b visa and it was no problems.

No probs carpy.

With all of the further details you have

provided, wife, kids, spouse application

and repeat visits, it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

" passports.

- Passenger must:

This statement would apply to travellers in transit to a third country, eg PNG, NZ etc.

Thailands rules re entry for Visa holders are well established --- it is permitted with a one way ticket----- but despite this I have been refused boarding to fly to Thailand unless I purchased an outbound flight.

This refusal was in Australia with airlines flying to Thailand.

Why would anyone assume the same cannot happen when flying to Australia ??(or into any country)

Additionally:

" passports.

- Passenger must:

Is this information from QANTAS incorrect ??

Hi Tig28.

I would assume in that context they mean

visa's and travel documents.

If that was the case, anyone with an ETA with

no return ticket could be refused and I doubt

that is the case.

An example in question, a USA citizen arrives

on a 3 month visa and is not sure how long

they're going to stay. To say they will need

a return ticket or they won't be boarded is silly.

To be honest, a return ticket only shows intent

to return home. If they're going to overstay,

they're going to overstay regardless of a ticket.

Regards

Will

backsoon...

NOT SO! Not in all cases.

Have you tried buying a ticket that leaves from Thailand in Australia?! It's much more expensive as the sepcial offers are only made available to the agents in the country of departure.. at least with THAI it is.

My partner was coming from Thailand in January and i only bought the ticket a week in advance. I also had to pay for it on the spot at the Thai office, or pay all the fees to send her the money via western union and risk missing the seat. Because the trip started in peak time, 1 way was around $1500 and return was over $2800 but if I bought the return part for 3months later seperately on special in Aus it was only $650... add it up. Fares are based on TYPE of ticket for both trips.

OP - You don't have to have one, but if she does get stopped you'll have questions to answer. My girl did not get stopped, so no problem, but i made sure i had plenty of cash in my account and was at the airport with phone on in case a guy in a blue suite came looking for me. If you take that risk, make sure you're waiting well before she arrives in case she needs to call you into immigration to answer the questions. If they do ask, you want to have plenty of money in the account to cover her (not that i've ever heard of them checking) and can say with confidence you're just not sure what date she'll return.

Oh and don't freak her out about it. If she's freaked out going through immigration they'll stop her for sure. Just tell her if anybody asks, tell the truth and give them your number.

Hi,

Well the wife had no questions asked at all in Thailand or Australia.if your wife or girlfriend don't mind traveling Jetstar it is heaps cheap and the price is no different one way or return.I paid 21,000 baht approx $700:00 one way for both wife and 2 year old son.So its cheap if you want it to be and Thai's are not to fussy.They will sit on a bus for 12hrs to save 1000 baht rather than fly.So jetstar is ok for them.I have already looked at a ticket back and that will be about $400.00 one way.Not bad for high season.