Kanchanaburi Visit

smint

Have been living in Thailand for a few months, know some Thai (very very basic) and I'm planning to go to Kanchanaburi this January. (Group of 3-4 of us)

Would like to gather some advice from everyone whether it would be better to follow a group tour or just walk around ourselves - is it easy to get around and find our way there? We have about only 24 hours to spend there (but staying there for the night).

Wonder if it's better to book in advance from a tour agent online (those package tours I've been looking through which charges around 2000-4000B for 2D1N tour, including accomodation) or just jump in there and see what's on offer. I'm thinking of elephant rides in the river and bamboo rafting, death railway etc. Would prefer to walk around ourselves but just afraid we'll lose the way or get overcharged by way too much (overcharge a little ok, but not too much, on a budget! then I'd rather go for group tour!).. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried exploring themselves and going to the elephant camp or something? Appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.

Smint

Hi smint,

If

We have about only 24 hours to spend there (but staying there for the night).

Well you could take the chance of

just jump in there and see what's on offer.
Plenty on offer, but with your time scale mmmmmmmmmmmm not too sure.

By the Way is this

which charges around 2,000-4,000B for 2D1N tour,
per person?

Sadwaee :)

Thanks to everyone who replied and for the info.

Plenty on offer, but with your time scale mmmmmmmmmmmm not too sure.

By the Way is this

which charges around 2,000-4,000B for 2D1N tour,
per person?

Sadwaee :)

Yeah. Was worried about the timing thing too because it'll be quite odd, it's actually like this, I will be only able to leave BKK at 4pm+ on the first day (well I'm actually coming from the airport), have the full second day and second night to stay in Kan, third day also okay, but I will have to reach BKK by 7pm on the third day! So it is kind of a weird time, have just 1N/2N to stay (depending on whether I choose to leave BKK at 4pm on the first day, or leave BKK in the early morning on the second day) and 1D++ to explore.

Yup, the tour is per person, checked around the Internet most include accomodation for that kind of price. Worth it? How much is an elephant ride in the jungle/river if you go on your own? - or you have to go for a package tour to get to try that?

Thanks!

Edited by smint