Bi-lingual Programs In Bangkok

CWMcMurray

My wife and I would like to send our daughter to a school with a Bi-lingual program, but are not sure about how to get a list of possible schools to start our evaluation.

We are living in the Notheastern part of Bangkok (Pattanakarn) and would like toask all of your help in fgenerating a list of schools. We will of course then come up with a short list to actually visit and evaluate, but we are having diffculty finding a list of schools t start from.

There seems to be many lists of International School, but none for those with Bi-Lingual or English programs.

As I realize that many of you may have previously taught at or be familiar with schools in this group, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Please advise name of the school in question (and if available) the location and contact details of the school.

Thank you all for your help.

There is some gov't oversight of private schools, including bilingual schools. You might try contacting the MOE about what bilingual schools are in your area. This may be a long shot, but it's about the only thing I know of right now. There is also an Association of Bilingual Schools, but unfortunately, not all schools belong to it.

You may have to start by asking some parents in your area. Most parents know by word of mouth know which schools would be bilingual or they would know which parents might know.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Web site of the Association

http://thaiapep.net/

You can download the list of the schools from this page

http://thaiapep.net/billingual-school.html

ALL IN THAI

One of my daughters is in a bilingual section, I'm very happy.

Not in your area:

http://yamsaard.ac.th/

But I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of bilingual schools in Patanakarn.

This is exactly what I was looking for....perfect.

I don't recognize all of the different locations (will have to ask the wife), but I see a school in Suan Luang just a couple of sois down from where I am living (pass it every day on my way to work). I have never actually had any reason to go inside the soi, so I didn't even realize their was a school there.

Much apreciated, thank you very much for your help.

Scott... this may be a good one to put as a "Sticky" in this forum. This list could be very very useful for English teachers lookig for schools with English programs that they could contact for jobs.

Edited by CWMcMurray

The list was headed bilingual (EP), which is quite misleading, as these schools have different ratios of subjects taught in english and Thai. Normally, a bilingual program will have all subjects taught in Thai, with english teaching teaching some of the subjects in english. My EP teaches most subjects in english while the Thai teachers do a couple of subjects - Thai language, history, buddhism, etc. Then there will be schools with varying combinations of subjects taught in english and Thai.

I'm not sure of the OP's aim of using a bilingual program. However, having taught in one for nearly 10 years, I can advise that an EP is tough for young students, especially those of lower ability. They struggle with the language and learn considerably less of other subjects, compated to their couterparts in the Thai program. The bilingual program, if you can find a good one, should be a good compromise for younger students my first job was with a bilingual school). An EP is appropriate for higher ability young students, and for secondary students aiming for international programs in Thai universities, or going overseas.

My goal is to find a decent school for my daughter (next term) and my son (in a couple years). They are Thai/US and my wife and I would like them to go to a school that will give them a good education and help to ensure that they are prepared for university/working in either a Thai or English environment.

Culicine... would you care to share the names of any of the schools with EP programs that you have worked at?

Edited by CWMcMurray

My goal is to find a decent school for my daughter (next term) and my son (in a couple years). They are Thai/US and my wife and I would like them to go to a school that will give them a good education and help to ensure that they are prepared for university/working in either a Thai or English environment.

Culicine... would you care to share the names of any of the schools with EP programs that you have worked at?

My school is a stones throw from the new immigration office on Chaengwattana Road. We have had three graduating groups of students. Many went on the Thammasart, Mahidol, and Chula, both international and Thai programs (those in the Thai programs took on a lot of extra tutorial classes, to ensure they got through whatever entrace tests were required. There are a number of Luk Kreung students in the EP. Most seem to do quite well. My son is in KG3 in the Thai program (there is also an EP kindy program). My son is quite happy and seems to be learning something (note english is his worst subject - though they mainly test reading / writing, and not speaking!)

However I'll probably put my son in the Thai program next year (at least for the time being, or until I get a job in an international school). If you are interested I'll PM you the name of my school.

I don't think this thread itself is enough to be a pinned thread, though some of the links should probably be put somewhere in a pinned thread- will look around for a good place (maybe in the opening guidelines & useful information thread).

What about just adding the link to "Posting guidelines and Recomended Links" ?

I would be very interested in hearing any positive experiences of Bilingual primary schools, located anywhere in Central Thailand.

Currently looking at Yamsaard in Hua Hin and would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback with this or similar Bilingual schools.

seykota: How much is the approx total annual fees for the English Program at Lertlah School in Bang Kae? Thanks

• 1 year later...

Ladprao Bilingual School has a very good Bilingual program. I know that they got high marks in some English testing last year, beating many International schools.

It is located on Ladprao Road soi 126, not too far from The Mall Bangkapi.

I believe there is a girl's school on Convent road. The name slips my mind, but I lived in the area years ago and I recall it being rather prestigious.

There is also Bangkok Christian College, but I think that is for boys.

Not too far away there are a couple of Sarasas Schools, Pittiya and Ektra Schools. I think they are on Sathu Pradit. The Sarasas schools have a mixed record, depending on the school, but I believe one of those two schools ranked rather high in the Thai National Exam scores, but I don't know which one.

Some of our teachers should know these schools and could comment on the educational standards at the school. Unfortunately, much of the information we get is more about the school as an employer than about the academics of the school.

Sometime ago, I know there was an educational directory that was published by a newspaper not associated with this forum that listed the schools in Bangkok.

Best of luck and keep us posted as to what you find out.

Assumption College Thonburi. Very near Bang Khae. Co-Ed Catholic school. Strict rules. Very well behaved students (based on observations during the one month I was Teacher Training there). P1-M6

The school has 3 seperate English programs. IEP (Thai teachers) EP (foreign teachers, about 50 I think) and Bell Educational Trust UK (foreign qualified teachers)

I am aware that a lot of the M6 go onto ABAC.

I was impressed with the school. It appears to be very well managed. The school is of course non-profit and I recall being surprised at how low the costs were.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I've taught in a couple of EP programs and a Bilingual school and I feel that the students who get the most benefit from a bilingual education are those who come from a bilingual home environment (usually leuk krungs) or whose parents speak some English and actively encourage their children to watch English movies, read English books, etc...

Some parents will push a student into an EP program when they are in P6 or M1. These students are at a huge disadvantage and usually suffer academically.