Un Irish Bar

james24

Maybe you can tell which posts are sincere, but many people cannot, and we are all possible customers.

I have no idea if DavidAttenborough is being honest, or not, as I have never had that happen to me there.

Don't forget that the creeps who are lying about people's businesses - positive or negative - do their best to make other readers believe them.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about people's livelihoods here and painting places in a bad light that don't really deserve it, usually because of jealous competitors, should be avoided as much as it is possible.

I must admit my experience above was a one-off. I've eaten there dozens of times before and never had a problem with the service. I keep and will keep going back because the food hits the right spot, and that's all I want out of a restaurant. I don't care for big smiles and friendliness, I just want a big burger and chips.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I went there I sat down for five minutes, smoked a cigarette, noone came to give me a menu, so I went and got one for myself. Then I waited for another five minutes for someone to come and take my order, noone did, so I went to the bar to place my order. Food came, but no sauces, so I went to the bar to get sauces. After I had finished, noone came to take the plate away and give me my bill, so i went to the bar and asked for the bill myself.

I can't say the service was bad, because it didn't exist. I wondered if I should maybe keep ten baht for myself as a tip. They might as well sack the waitresses, since they do nothing, and pass the savings on to the customers.

Did you?

Surely you didn't tip?

I go to UN Irish once in awhile, when MotoGP is being shown upstairs on a big screen. Hang out with a few mates from the Golden Triangle Riders.

Never experienced bad service, always pleasant. And some of the food is rather good- I'm partial to their steak sandwich on baguette.

Just my 25 satang opinion......:)

The unreasonable negative posts from those who have no knowledge of the pub concerned, or just post to be contrarian are certainly not acceptable.

But that happen on many threads on TV. Disagree with someone and you will often get attacked.

Best to ignore by skipping the posts, no point getting worked up about it. Genuine posters can sort out those who are making a responsible post.

Maybe you can tell which posts are sincere, but many people cannot, and we are all possible customers.

I have no idea if DavidAttenborough is being honest, or not, as I have never had that happen to me there.

Don't forget that the creeps who are lying about people's businesses - positive or negative - do their best to make other readers believe them.

I'm sorry, but we are talking about people's livelihoods here and painting places in a bad light that don't really deserve it, usually because of jealous competitors, should be avoided as much as it is possible.

I think I know which posts are sincere but I am not so naive to think I am infallible. I am sorry if I gave you that impression.

I have no reason to suppose that David is being anything but honest in narrating his experience.

Your point about the creeps is one I entirely agree with. Painting an establishment in a bad light when undeserved is out of order I agree. And I agree businessmen need to earn a living - it is their livelihood.

But customers have rights and expectations too. I think Milton would agree with that. In the unlikely event I was served a dud pint in Tuskers the owner or his staff would change it. Of that I have no doubt.

Hypothetically if an establishment served dud flat pints and would not change then I think that a customer has a perfect right to post that experience provided that it is not flaming or personal.

Just my opinion.

I was around that area over Christmas, went to the UN-Irish bar for a couple of drinks and a snack with friends.

The Staff were fine, they didnt hover around me and i have to attract their attention when i needed a refill, but then again i dislike staff hovering over me and hasseling me when my drink is almost empty.

The staff were friendly enough and even had a little bit of a laugh and a joke with us, so overall id give them a solid 8/10 on Service. The Food was good, not great but not bad either... typical 'pub' fare. The venue itself was good, airey, plenty of seating, TV's scattered around with the Football on. The Tables were a little small (we were a party of 4) but thats not really a deal-breaker, we sat up-stairs and i did notice in the garden they had the bench style seating.

I think as an overall i would give the UN-Irish bar 7 or 8 out of 10 - a pleasent place to sup some ale and watch the sports.

Just my experience

The unreasonable negative posts from those who have no knowledge of the pub concerned, or just post to be contrarian are certainly not acceptable.

But that happen on many threads on TV. Disagree with someone and you will often get attacked.

Best to ignore by skipping the posts, no point getting worked up about it. Genuine posters can sort out those who are making a responsible post.

I think I know which posts are sincere but I am not so naive to think I am infallible. I am sorry if I gave you that impression.

I have no reason to suppose that David is being anything but honest in narrating his experience.

Your point about the creeps is one I entirely agree with. Painting an establishment in a bad light when undeserved is out of order I agree. And I agree businessmen need to earn a living - it is their livelihood.

But customers have rights and expectations too. I think Milton would agree with that. In the unlikely event I was served a dud pint in Tuskers the owner or his staff would change it. Of that I have no doubt.

Hypothetically if an establishment served dud flat pints and would not change then I think that a customer has a perfect right to post that experience provided that it is not flaming or personal.

Just my opinion.

Agreed

Chiang Mai is a hard place to do business and anyone who tries and makes a go of it has my utmost respect but..... if you want to keep ahead of the game here you have to work very very hard.

I believe constructive critisism of an establishment has a place on this forum, this is the age of the internet and for good or bad it will be a place where people vent there feelings.

I think it is up to the moderators to class a post as a flame or not.

There will be creeps who will use the anonymity of the internet to post disinformation but that's the nature of the beast, hopefully these people are in the minority in the CM fourm.

the management there are ALWAYS ... repeat .. ALWAYS miserable .. its NOT the thai staff .. they do what they are told to do ... dont blame the thais look at the bosses.

dave2

Your post indicates you've been there several times. It also indicates that you have no problem frequenting pubs where management are miserable, and therefore it can't be a big issue for you. Yet you're making it one. Strange.

Just my opinion.

Agreed

Chiang Mai is a hard place to do business and anyone who tries and makes a go of it has my utmost respect but..... if you want to keep ahead of the game here you have to work very very hard.

I believe constructive critisism of an establishment has a place on this forum, this is the age of the internet and for good or bad it will be a place where people vent there feelings.

There will be creeps who will use the anonymity of the internet to post disinformation but that's the nature of the beast, hopefully these people are in the minority in the CM fourm.

My own feeling is if I was running a business such as UN Irish/Tuskers etc, I would not feel depressed by any justifiable criticism posted on the internet/forum. In fact, quite the reverse, as it would be telling me there are things where I can improve on. No business is perfect all of the time and I’m sure most (not all) owners strive to make there place as good as it can be.

Some owners take criticism on board others do not (despite it being there livelihood). Some seem to feel a little threatened by any negativity and make excuses. Some even blame the customer for the problem.

The internet is a great business medium not just for advertising but getting feed back on how other people (customers) see the business, be it good or bad.

"Food was pretty cool but whats up with the staff, talk about bloody miserbale. It really felt that no-one was really welcome to relax. Everytime we bought a drink we had to pay there and then and if we put a fork down the plate was taken from under us at least four times without being asked. I know its busy on crimbo day and its a good day to make money but they are all including the farangs are so bloomin moody, definately would not recommend."

Well, the food is a pretty important criterion for a christmas lunch/dinner, so you've scored well on that count.

As for the staff being miserable, i was there that night, and i didn't see their misery.

Perhaps past christmas dinners have seen people not paying the bills, and also, with such a busy night, how would you like to be the thai staff keeping about 30 or more bills behind the bar? I regularly go there for my sports and a good pub night out, and had no problem with paying as i went along on this night. Seemed most understandable to me.

Why did you keep putting your fork down and letting the waiters take your food away? "At least four times"?? Well, sound like you've had counting problems here.

It's unreal some of the subjective complaints posted up here that can appear objectively valid to people, that then impact on other people's business. Why didn't you ask the farang owners to smile more so that you could enjoy your experience more? I'm sure they would have obliged.

Just my opinion.

Agreed

Well put, Anonymouse. The fittest survive in business, there is no God given right to own a business.

Tuskers works very hard at making the pub a success. What is achieved is by their own efforts. Fair comment from genuine customers is to be encouraged.

Likite has made some valid points too which seem to be in line with our thoughts.

I agree with you completely. The trick is how to be fair to both businesses and consumers.

Just tell the truth. If it's good say it is. If it's bad then say so. Most businesses welcome feedback.

Damaging comments from posters who have not visited an establisnment are beyond the pale. Unfortunately neither of us can stop that.

the management there are ALWAYS ... repeat .. ALWAYS miserable .. its NOT the thai staff .. they do what they are told to do ... dont blame the thais look at the bosses.

dave2

Your post indicates you've been there several times. It also indicates that you have no problem frequenting pubs where management are miserable, and therefore it can't be a big issue for you. Yet you're making it one. Strange.

His post does not indicate that at all. He posted a criticism. You can't say, from that. that it can't be a big issue for him. It may be but it does not follow from his post or your argument, which is your subjective view.

Last year, someone who seemed to be a customer with a legitimate gripe posted several complaints about my bookstore on Thai Visa and I tried to deal with his complaints. To make a long story short, his stories got wilder and wilder over a few days and he got more and more abusive towards me. Eventually he got suspended and appeared on another forum (known for encouraging libel) and complained about me over there.

Over a few weeks he got more and more chatty with his new buds and eventually admitted that he had been thrown off Thai Visa before for the same thing and that he had hated yours-truly for 20 years and posted a whole bunch of nonsense about my personal life - how I supposedly have no friends and so on.

I can't prove this guy's identity, but he wrote about his friends and so forth and almost everything that he mentioned pointed to a fellow that I had put out of business several years ago.

He had started a war with me when I first opened and after pulling every criminal trick that he could think of he eventually ran out of money and scuttled back home to go on the dole.

My point is that it can be very difficult to tell a complaint from a legit customer apart from some obsessed psycho with a vendetta who does not get too carried away and spills his guts to the world. :)

Last year, someone who seemed to be a customer with a legitimate gripe posted several complaints about my bookstore on Thai Visa and I tried to deal with his complaints. To make a long story short, his stories got wilder and wilder over a few days and he got more and more abusive towards me. Eventually he got suspended and appeared on another forum (known for encouraging libel) and complained about me over there.

Over a few weeks he got more and more chatty with his new buds and eventually admitted that he had been thrown off Thai Visa before for the same thing and that he had hated yours-truly for 20 years and posted a whole bunch of nonsense about my personal life - how I supposedly have no friends and so on.

I can't prove this guy's identity, but he wrote about his friends and so forth and almost everything that he mentioned pointed to a fellow that I had put out of business several years ago.

He had started a war with me when I first opened and after pulling every criminal trick that he could think of he eventually ran out of money and scuttled back home to go on the dole.

My point is that it can be very difficult to tell a complaint from a legit customer apart from some obsessed psycho with a vendetta who does not get too carried away and spills his guts to the world. :)

As I said I do not condone mischievious comments and I am sorry to learn of your experience.

You say it is difficult to spot a legitimate complaint from a customer.

Hypothetically ( because the reverse is true), say I post saying:

" I don't go to Ulysses bookshop anymore because he does not have a wide selection of books"

That is a fair complaint that I am entitled to post as it is my view. That is legitimate.

It would be fair for you to respond by saying " I have x books in stock, my nearest rival something in the order of y. Customers are welcome to check for themselves by visiting the shop"

If I retaliate, as your example indicates, by making wilder and wilder accusations and making personal comments, then that is not acceptable as I have already said in previous posts.

So you can spot the legitimate customer complaint, he is the one in my first example above.

You know he is not when he flames and gets personal. At that point the mods would act anyway.

My own view is that one should respect a poster's complaint and give him the benefit of the doubt that he is being truthful. Particularly if he is a newbie and has no troll record. To assume that he is not truthful and genuine everytime would stifle posts on this forum.

Both businesses and customers have posting rights. It can not be one-sided.

I don't get into A. Mueang for fun very much these days ... work and family ...

But I remember that the Irish Pub and Yoshi's Voodoo Lounge (live music) were two of the best places to hang out back in 1999-2001 when I was last a single man. The Darts League was very popular then and the Irish Pub was a great venue. Always had fun there. Food was good (but I did more drinking than eating :) )

I'll have to go and give it a try some some night. I hope the U.N. name prefix didn't change it too much.

I wish them luck and prosperity in the New Year!

Why not?

-NG

- I did have Christmas dinner there in 1999 and although I don't remember much about the food, I do remember the company was very enjoyable.

Edited by NaiGreg

I went here once in February. Food was very nice and the one member of staff who took my food and drinks order was pleasant but business like. The place had no atmosphere. But it was during the day. Maybe things pick up in the evening. But being honest the atmosphere was very cold for what is advertised as an Irish Bar. O'Malleys faired a little better but the food was not as nice.

dave2

His post does not indicate that at all. He posted a criticism. You can't say, from that. that it can't be a big issue for him. It may be but it does not follow from his post or your argument, which is your subjective view.

I have to disagree. He was emphatic about the 'always', capitalising the word twice, which definitely indicates he goes there many times. If miserable bar staff and management are such a problem why keep on going there?

I think from his post he has an axe to grind. And that is unfair and cowardly to do here, do it with the miserable people themselves.

Maybe a silly question... what is does the UN bit stand for...? United Nations or what? or the Un-Irish? :)

United Nations.

Yea I guessed... thanks... strange combination though - how can it be United Nations AND Irish? still... I should probably let sleeping dogs lie

an earlier pot said that it used to be called "The Irish Pub" & was run by an Irish woman & her thai husband, the Irish women left & the thai husband sold it to an Aussie man & they added the "UN" part cause there was no longer an Irish owner

I went there a couple of days ago. Very pleasant and the staff efficient .

I used to go there quite often but haven't been in years. I can't see how anyone could fault it.

The staff were quick and didn't mess up any orders unlike many other places I've been to.

I'm not there to chat to staff unless I know them well and don't expect them to smile continuously.

I saw the staff personally greet a couple of people who were obviously regulars, maybe I should be miffed that they didn't smile at me profusely and greet me also ? :)

Would definitely go again soon if I have time and people visiting .

Actually their menu explains the restaurants story viz. Irish & UN.

The restaurant was started by Rosemary who was definitely Irish, it was basically her creation and she put a lot of hard work into it to get it started. I actually went back there when I saw this topic; the present owners have done a great job in keeping it going, kudos to them, the restaurant business is really hard work and the economic climate not exactly sympathetic.

I wish they would take Irish out of their name. It is degrading to the pubs in Ireland.

The Irish pub was started by an Irish woman (Rosemarie if I recall correctly) who was married to a Thai guy, who had actually learned baking in Europe. She went back to Ireland about 10 years ago; her husband then sold the place to Sandy, who is Australian. I think they struck the UN on the name because there is no one Irish now involved.

The Thai guy taught an older Thai woman how to bake and she was indeed very good. If she is still there that is why the baked goods are still good.

Rosemarie went back to Ireland w/kids 15 years ago.

The Thai guy, Daeng, is the brother of the owner of a pizza joint named La Villa Pizzeria

dam_n good pizza too!!

Edited by Ajarnmai

• 3 months later...

Went to the UN Irish a few days ago with my date - JEEZE the Thai staff are terrible - miserable and nasty

What's the matter with the management? I asked if they had any Guinness left and this older girl pointed to a sign which said Guinness was finished (which I knew but wondered if they had any barrels left) so I was about to have a draft bitter but she was so off-putting I just walked out.

I know TIT but I rarely get this reaction in other establishments in CNX and it was so unusual it took me aback.

Went to the UN Irish a few days ago with my date - JEEZE the Thai staff are terrible - miserable and nasty

What's the matter with the management? I asked if they had any Guinness left and this older girl pointed to a sign which said Guinness was finished (which I knew but wondered if they had any barrels left) so I was about to have a draft bitter but she was so off-putting I just walked out.

I know TIT but I rarely get this reaction in other establishments in CNX and it was so unusual it took me aback.

Maybe it would further your cause and our curiosity if you were to elucidate in what manner "the Thai staff are terrible - miserable and nasty". You mention only one particular member of staff yet you state "the Thai staff" insinuating all of the staff, including the management. :)

As has been said so often on this Forum "everyone has off days", even the most ardent and well-meaning of our hard working and underpaid bar/restaurant staff, whether it is part of their job description or not. I am sure, if you were to be honest, which I don't doubt you are, you could look back and relate the odd occasions when you would have fitted that description. We all could! But as someone has pointed out, to condemn the entire establishment out of hand because of this isolated incident would seem somewhat hypocritical and grossly unfair. :D

Cheers,

YOS

Maybe it would further your cause and our curiosity if you were to elucidate in what manner "the Thai staff are terrible - miserable and nasty". You mention only one particular member of staff yet you state "the Thai staff" insinuating all of the staff, including the management. :)

As has been said so often on this Forum "everyone has off days", even the most ardent and well-meaning of our hard working and underpaid bar/restaurant staff, whether it is part of their job description or not. I am sure, if you were to be honest, which I don't doubt you are, you could look back and relate the odd occasions when you would have fitted that description. We all could! But as someone has pointed out, to condemn the entire establishment out of hand because of this isolated incident would seem somewhat hypocritical and grossly unfair. :D

Cheers,

YOS

Just reporting... and I'm not the only one

Maybe I've been there 7 times in 7 years. No problem, nothing to write back to County Clare about.

Totally agree - nothing to write home about, but I've never found anything to complain about either.

The foods OK, drinks are on a par with other overpriced places and it's the best bar by far for atmosphere during sporting events.