English Pub Just Opened In Pinklao

Bkbloke

Hi,

Just stumbled upon a little English pub called the Green Dragon in the car parks behind the Pata department store. I live in the Pinklao area so this is a god send for me as there isn't much like this around these parts. They aren't fully opened yet but I had a chat to the gaffer and got to sample some of there home made lasagna. Nice little set up. There's going to be an official opening in the New year with free booze and grub. I googled the place and they have a website up and running. Nice!

Edited by bonobo
Corrected place name in title

I googled and found their website, but the menu doesn't seem very English, or their beer list. Hopefully this will change as they get into the swing of it, or else I'm afraid that this is just another generic restaurant with some possibly "English" decor. I hope that won't be the case, as the only other option is the "Oh My Cod" cafe in Khao San.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, it looks like they have disappeared into the aether. There used to be a website that wasn't too hard to find on google, but now I can't find it either. I walked around the back of Pata last week, and didn't see any place called "The Green Dragon".

Perhaps Bkbloke can offer us some enlightenment? As I said in my earlier post, an English pub would be welcome out here, between the river and Lotus/Central. It seems to take a long time for anything to develop around here, especially restaurants. It has only been within the past two years that we've gotten a good coffee place (albeit expensive) on the first floor of Pata, so if we could have somewhere for fish and chips or a good hamburger, that would be great!

Sorry guys, diidnt realise anyone was interested

I went past the other day ( I have in laws in that area) looks like they had finished decorating, Spoke to the gaffer again and they have had to change the name to Tree House,something to do with the licence. Its still being ran as an English bar and restaurant and there is going to be a grand opening this saturday with free beer and barbecue from 3 in the afternoon.

I didin't have a problem finding it and the Tree House Sign is up now. Its in the car park behind Pata and the supermarket with the red walls. The website seems to be up and running which also has amap of the place.

I can't be there unfortunately but have a good one and let me know how it went.

I found the website and it posted a "Grand Opening" at 12 oClock Sat 30th. I arrived at 1.00 and met David (Owner) who said it wouldn't open until 3.00. When quizzed about the "Grand Opening" time, he said 'No it says 3.00 on his website' and that was that. On arrival home I checked and sure enough it said 3.00 although checking my computer history I find a snapshot taken most definitely has 12 pm. Obviously, I did not go back! The bar itself is actually a hardstanding in the car park to the rear of the Pata store. As far as I can see there is NO English Bar or Restaurant. Just a bar with an English owner!

Hi,

Well I finally got to eat there the other night and it wasn't bad at all. its certainly more of a bar than a pub but nice enough for that neck of the woods for sure . Had a decent sized sirloin steak with fries and salad which only set me back 80 Bht (do'nt know how long they can keep that up for) washed it down with a huge glass of red wine 90 Bht. Saw one guy tucking into a Lasagna which I'll probably try next time i'm around.

Had a decent sized sirloin steak with fries and salad which only set me back 80 Bht

now that is cheap !, what is the website to this place, or the google search terms to find it

Hi,

Dont think we are allowed to post links here. But just type the words Tree House Bar Bangkok into google and that should do it.

Okay, I just went to check it out, it isn't a British pub, but now I think that's okay!

The owners are really nice and it is a great place to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Pinklao. Bkbloke is correct that the prices are really good, and there is finally an option for western food in Pinklao that isn't a mall-based franchise. You can see from their website that they are more of a family restaurant, but they have a patio that isn't in the screaming traffic of Pinklao Road, and is easily accessed from Pata. They plan to get a screen so that you can watch football or whatever game is going on, and I guarantee you will be surprised that there is somewhere relaxing to hang out so close to Pinklao Road.

They are here, if you are looking for another map aside from the one on the website. Go behind Pata, around the corner from the small open market, and you will find them. They are open to customer's suggestions, (within reason), in regard to plans for their future menus, and they've shown an interest in making their customers happy, so I think this may be a new favourite for me!

I had a really nice steak and chips, (especially for the price), and many glasses of wine. At that price, I couldn't resist. Next time I will definitely try the lasagna. I hope David and Meow are successful in this endeavor, Pinklao needed a good alternative to Khao San for western food. It isn't a British Pub, but now I don't think it has to be in order to give Pinklao residents a new local. If you live in the Pinklao area, give them a try!

Okay, I just went to check it out, it isn't a British pub, but now I think that's okay!

The owners are really nice and it is a great place to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Pinklao. Bkbloke is correct that the prices are really good, and there is finally an option for western food in Pinklao that isn't a mall-based franchise. You can see from their website that they are more of a family restaurant, but they have a patio that isn't in the screaming traffic of Pinklao Road, and is easily accessed from Pata. They plan to get a screen so that you can watch football or whatever game is going on, and I guarantee you will be surprised that there is somewhere relaxing to hang out so close to Pinklao Road.

They are here, if you are looking for another map aside from the one on the website. Go behind Pata, around the corner from the small open market, and you will find them. They are open to customer's suggestions, (within reason), in regard to plans for their future menus, and they've shown an interest in making their customers happy, so I think this may be a new favourite for me!

I had a really nice steak and chips, (especially for the price), and many glasses of wine. At that price, I

couldn't resist. Next time I will definitely try the lasagna. I hope David and Meow are successful in this endeavor, Pinklao needed a good alternative to Khao San for western food. It isn't a British Pub, but now I don't think it has to be in order to give Pinklao residents a new local. If you live in the Pinklao area, give them a try!

Ah! I thought I was the only one.

The owners are really nice and it is a great place to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Pinklao. Bkbloke is correct that the prices are really good, and there is finally an option for western food in Pinklao that isn't a mall-based franchise. You can see from their website that they are more of a family restaurant, but they have a patio that isn't in the screaming traffic of Pinklao Road, and is easily accessed from Pata. They plan to get a screen so that you can watch football or whatever game is going on, and I guarantee you will be surprised that there is somewhere relaxing to hang out so close to Pinklao Road. They are here, if you are looking for another map aside from the one on the website. Go behind Pata, around the corner from the small open market, and you will find them. They are open to customer's suggestions, (within reason), in regard to plans for their future menus, and they've shown an interest in making their customers happy, so I think this may be a new favourite for me!

I had a really nice steak and chips, (especially for the price), and many glasses of wine. At that price, I

couldn't resist. Next time I will definitely try the lasagna. I hope David and Meow are successful in this endeavor, Pinklao needed a good alternative to Khao San for western food. It isn't a British Pub, but now I don't think it has to be in order to give Pinklao residents a new local. If you live in the Pinklao area, give them a try!

I ditto everything said above. I've been there twice in the last week and although the location isn't anything spectacular its very friendly with good food at great prices. Sirloin steak with fries and salad, garlic bread and a large Heineken for 195 baht. I was ashamed I had no change for a tip. I'll remedy that next time as I will definitely go back.

The owners are really nice and it is a great place to relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Pinklao. Bkbloke is correct that the prices are really good, and there is finally an option for western food in Pinklao that isn't a mall-based franchise. You can see from their website that they are more of a family restaurant, but they have a patio that isn't in the screaming traffic of Pinklao Road, and is easily accessed from Pata. They plan to get a screen so that you can watch football or whatever game is going on, and I guarantee you will be surprised that there is somewhere relaxing to hang out so close to Pinklao Road. They are here, if you are looking for another map aside from the one on the website. Go behind Pata, around the corner from the small open market, and you will find them. They are open to customer's suggestions, (within reason), in regard to plans for their future menus, and they've shown an interest in making their customers happy, so I think this may be a new favourite for me!

I ditto everything said above. I've been there twice in the last week and although the location isn't anything spectacular its very friendly with good food at great prices. Sirloin steak with fries and salad, garlic bread and a large Heineken for 195 baht. I was ashamed I had no change for a tip. I'll remedy that next time as I will definitely go back.

Just been over there tonight with the missus for a bite. I live on Charansanitwong close to Soi 40 and walk through that car park practically every night so thought I would check it out after reading about it on here.

So, we had 2 x Pork Steaks with Fries and salad with a Garlic Bread side a Tuna Salad and 2 glasses of Cali White. The service was quick and friendly the wine glasses were large and generously filled, they lasted easily through the meal, it was a cask wine but at 90 baht for a large glass I was well happy with it. The pork steak was a decent thickness/size and very tender, the fries were a thick crinkle cut style and tasty though you do only get a small portion of them. The salad with the steak was nice fresh and tasty.

The tuna salad was very nice too, a decent sized bowl with fresh salad and tasty chunks of tuna. Garlic bread side consists of 2 mini sized baguettes fresh and soft with a good garlic taste. The owner David is a nice guy who does not bother you while you are eating but is happy to chat when it suits. There was no dessert available but that is not a criticism as David is only 10 days into it and is working hard to get everything set up right.

So yeh! all good. We paid 395.00 baht all up and walked away happy. I got eaten alive by mozzies but nobody else did so I am just mentioning it for the hel_l of it "They really love me those goddamn mozzies". A nice little bar/restaurant tastefully decorated and fine for a nice relaxing beer/wine as well as food. I hope he does not fit a TV because this place is simple quiet and relaxing. Leave the big bars to show the footy David and keep doing what you are doing, hopeully it will be a winner for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link.

I went round there last night. it's nice to find somewhere like this on my side of the river, had the steak which for 90 B was bloody excellent, really juicy .I think they'll be seeing a bit more of me especillay as they are putting steak and kidney pies on the menu. mmmmmmmmmm!