Combining Som Tam With Other Foods

Svenn

Anyone seen any creative combos with som tam besides sticky rice and fried chicken? It's such a unique food, I've often thought a mild version of it (i.e. not Lao som tam) would be good with something else- maybe combined with guacamole or something in a sandwich? The only thing som tam's missing is fat, it already has sugar, savory, and salty... and the lime might be mutually complimenting to the avocados...

Go for the Somtam Thai version and avoid the one with those disgusting raw crabs.

Speaking of crabs, why not a somtam crab cake? Somtam popscicle for those hot days? Fish burger with somtam instead of lettuce and mayo etc.

Might be good with Duck - Lamb?

Stuff a chicken with it?

If you think about it, somtum is somewhat like a Thai equivalent of cole slaw. In some regions of America, we put cole slaw on top of sandwiches and hot dogs. I think somtum would work well with those foods. Perhaps burgers as well to add some crunch.

Edited by Millard

Oh, the possibilities with som tam.

Just let your imagination go wild!

I think some varieties could be even used as a weapon.

Som tum is fine as long as there aren't a thousand chiles pounded into it, and I too prefer it without the crab. Given an option, I'd defer to yam mamuang over som tum.

Som Tam Thai Bpoo Maa, ha prick.

sweet som tam with the large white "horse" crab, and 5 chillis. (Thai - sweet, Lao - smelly)

Good also with Sweet corn. Cowport

Both traditional recipes.

As mentioned before - use it like you would Coleslaw. Great with baked (well microwaved) potatoes.