Ministry Issues Toad Warning

george

Ministry issues toad warning

BANGKOK: -- Toads and their eggs are not often regarded as a top menu item of choice, but according to the Ministry of Public Health squeamishness is not the only reason not to eat them – they can also cause death and blindness, and their poison is not destroyed by cooking.

Today’s warning from public health Permanent Secretary Dr. Vichai Tienthaworn follows a recent case in Thailand's northern province of Phitsanulok in which a mother, her five year-old son and her eight year-old nephew ate toad eggs fried with fish sauce, causing the death of the two children.

Pointing to a number of deaths caused by eating toad each year, Dr. Vichai said that although it was possible to eat them without being poisoned, they required expert butchery skills for the poison to be removed.

The poisons found in a secretion emitted by glands above the toads’ eyes work to cause faster and stronger heartbeats, while the skin, blood, internal organs and eyes can also be poisonous unless the parotid gland is removed and all the blood fully washed out.

These poisons are able to withstand heat so that even cooked toads are dangerous.

The effects of the poison are proportionate to the amount ingested, and include the excess production of mucus and saliva, weakness of the limbs, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness and heart attack.

The poisonous secretion can also cause blindness if it enters the eye.

Dr. Vichai urged the public to avoid eating toads altogether, noting that there are plenty of other food that is safe to eat.

He acknowledged, however, that toads are not generally a popular item of cuisine.

--TNA 2005-04-23

Ministry issues toad warning 

BANGKOK: -- Toads and their eggs are not often regarded as a top menu item of choice, but according to the Ministry of Public Health squeamishness is not the only reason not to eat them – they can also cause death and blindness, and their poison is not destroyed by cooking.

Today’s warning from public health Permanent Secretary Dr. Vichai Tienthaworn follows a recent case in Thailand's northern province of Phitsanulok in which a mother, her five year-old son and her eight year-old nephew ate toad eggs fried with fish sauce, causing the death of the two children.

Pointing to a number of deaths caused by eating toad each year, Dr. Vichai said that although it was possible to eat them without being poisoned, they required expert butchery skills for the poison to be removed.

The poisons found in a secretion emitted by glands above the toads’ eyes work to cause faster and stronger heartbeats, while the skin, blood, internal organs and eyes can also be poisonous unless the parotid gland is removed and all the blood fully washed out.

These poisons are able to withstand heat so that even cooked toads are dangerous. 

The effects of the poison are proportionate to the amount ingested, and include the excess production of mucus and saliva, weakness of the limbs, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness and heart attack. 

The poisonous secretion can also cause blindness if it enters the eye.

Dr. Vichai urged the public to avoid eating toads altogether, noting that there are plenty of other food that is safe to eat. 

He acknowledged, however, that toads are not generally a popular item of cuisine.

--TNA 2005-04-23

Obviously the toads are not keen on being eaten :o

:D

Therebye hangs a tale.

many years ago I had a Aussie friend named Phil. He worked on an oil rig in the South China Sea. He used to come to BKK and spend all the money he had earned in 6 weeks on the rig. He showed up one weekend and we went out drinking. Had 3 males, 3 Thai females. We males did most of the drinking. Next morning we had 39 liter bottles of beer, 1 fifth of Jack Daniels, 1 fifth of Johnny Walker to throw away. (That doesn't count the drinks we had at half a dozen bars.)

Anyhow, about 3 in the morning, we were out at a street restaurant. I saw some Thais eating something that looked/smelled good. The girls couldn't explain to us what it was, but I decided to try it. Don't really remember how it tasted, I was pretty smashed at the time.

Next day, after sobering up a bit, I discovered it was Frog roasted with Garlic in Chilli Sauce that I had been eating.

Crazy things that you do in BKK when P@ssed.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Therebye hangs a tale.

many years ago I had a Aussie friend named Phil. He worked on an oil rig in the South China Sea. He used to come to BKK and spend all the money he had earned in 6 weeks on the rig. He showed up one weekend and we went out drinking. Had 3 males, 3 Thai females. We males did most of the drinking. Next morning we had 39 liter bottles of beer, 1 fifth of Jack Daniels, 1 fifth of Johnny Walker to throw away. (That doesn't count the drinks we had at half a dozen bars.)

Anyhow, about 3 in the morning, we were out at a street restaurant. I saw some Thais eating something that looked/smelled good. The girls couldn't explain to us what it was, but I decided to try it. Don't really remember how it tasted, I was pretty smashed at the time.

Next day, after sobering up a bit, I discovered it was Frog roasted with Garlic in Chilli Sauce that I had been eating.

Crazy things that you do in BKK when P@ssed.

Sooooo...don't get p1ssed in BKK? :o