New Ford Everest 3.0 4x4 Ltd

thaieagle67

its still the same frame and floor plan from mid 80s, like 25 years old. last vehicle in LOS with (very dangerous even in minor accidents) handbrake under the steering wheel

last facelift looks good though, and engine and auto is fine. Traction is still terible compared to more modern suvs and pickups like Mitsu, Navara, Fortuner and Vigo.

its still the same frame and floor plan from mid 80s, like 25 years old.

How does that work when Everest Production started in 2003.

Everest, Ranger, Mazda B50 are all built on the same frame from Mazda B2600 in 1985-86. Everest floorplan is the same as ranger/B50 from the front until reaching the rear seat. Just have a look at the floor under drivers seat. high floor/cramped legroom for left foot. Measure the width of the frame and compare with modern pickups/suvs on frame like Navara, Vigo, Fortuner and Mitsu

Like the styling of new Everest with lots of designelements from Disco and Range Rover, which Ford can do since they are no longer the owner of these brands :)

its still the same frame and floor plan from mid 80s, like 25 years old.

How does that work when Everest Production started in 2003.

Everest, Ranger, Mazda B50 are all built on the same frame from Mazda B2600 in 1985-86. Everest floorplan is the same as ranger/B50 from the front until reaching the rear seat. Just have a look at the floor under drivers seat. high floor/cramped legroom for left foot. Measure the width of the frame and compare with modern pickups/suvs on frame like Navara, Vigo, Fortuner and Mitsu

Like the styling of new Everest with lots of designelements from Disco and Range Rover, which Ford can do since they are no longer the owner of these brands :)

Yeah, i kinda work on/modify Everests and Rangers for a living, whilst they are very similar, they are different as well, they dont ever share the same wheelbase, they have different spring/torsion bar rates different shock absorbers, many many differences, comparing an Everest to a Ranger is not comparing apples with apples.

Edited by Spoonman

The ladder frame is virtually unchanged since it was first developed. Twenty five years? Try about seventy years. Why is it still used? Because it is very rugged and it works. Uni-body construction is fine for smooth riding passenger cars but for a rugged vehicle, you STILL need a frame. As with many things, simple is better. Solid axles and leaf springs are difficult to damage. If you want a race car with fragile suspension, that's what you buy. If you want a rugged work horse, you need a frame and leaf springs.

It's a dinosaur - stay clear of it and stick with your Fortuner

If i was to trade in for a new Fortuner, i am worried that with minor changes last year, there will be a major makeover of the Fortuner coming very soon, so i would be buying another dinosaur! Does anyone know if Toyota are planning a major makeover anytime soon?

The ladder frame is virtually unchanged since it was first developed. Twenty five years? Try about seventy years. Why is it still used? Because it is very rugged and it works. Uni-body construction is fine for smooth riding passenger cars but for a rugged vehicle, you STILL need a frame. As with many things, simple is better. Solid axles and leaf springs are difficult to damage. If you want a race car with fragile suspension, that's what you buy. If you want a rugged work horse, you need a frame and leaf springs.

Ladder frames are continously improved.

Nissans Navara frame is new since 2007

Toyota Vigo since october 2004. Fortuner since december 2004

Izu/Chevy since 2002

Mitsu Pajero Sport 2007?

Ford/Mazda still building on a narrow 1985 frame providing high bulky floorplan, higher center of gravity and lousy traction.

Agree Ranger and Everest does have different parts in suspension. Pickups must be able to carry 1000 kg to avoid excise tax, while Everest can focus more on comfort paying 20% excise tax. Frame and floorplan is still the same old one from front until rear seat.

Liked the look of new Everest when it came out like 6 months ago, but totally lost interest when I saw the parkingbrake under steeringwheel, high bulky floorplan and discovered the old narrow frame. Its outdated.

Edited by katabeachbum

Ladder frames are continously improved.

Nissans Navara frame is new since 2007

Toyota Vigo since october 2004. Fortuner since december 2004

Izu/Chevy since 2002

Mitsu Pajero Sport 2007?

Ford/Mazda still building on a narrow 1985 frame providing high bulky floorplan, higher center of gravity and lousy traction.

Agree Ranger and Everest does have different parts in suspension. Pickups must be able to carry 1000 kg to avoid excise tax, while Everest can focus more on comfort paying 20% excise tax. Frame and floorplan is still the same old one from front until rear seat.

Liked the look of new Everest when it came out like 6 months ago, but totally lost interest when I saw the parkingbrake under steeringwheel, high bulky floorplan and discovered the old narrow frame. Its outdated.

I think i have read enough to put me off the Everest. I'll have to have a good look round when i get back to LOS to check out the remaining option, Fortuner again!

I think i have read enough to put me off the Everest. I'll have to have a good look round when i get back to LOS to check out the remaining option, Fortuner again!

Thats a shame, for what they are they are a pretty good thing, they seem to cop a slagging as people have higher expectations of them, if you a buy a chassied leaf sprung SUV this is exactly what you get, not some plush sports car.

Thats a shame, for what they are they are a pretty good thing, they seem to cop a slagging as people have higher expectations of them, if you a buy a chassied leaf sprung SUV this is exactly what you get, not some plush sports car.

There are more modern thai suvs available. Both Pajero Sport and Fortuner have adapted to new tax rules in LOS. Developed new frames, new floorplans and not least rear coil springs. No sports cars, but IMHO handles and brakes a lot better than Everest

I asked my inlaws this weekend. They bought a new one 4.5 years ago. They love it. I am not a mechanic but they say on rough roads it handles good.

Just thought i would ask them since they bought one. Even at 5 years old it looks good and they say it gets 14 KM to the liter.

Did you ever see how thin is a Fortuner Chassis, specially at the front end? Basycly it's all the same, the frames, suspensions and a four banger diesel, that's it!. But i'll prefere Ford over Toyota. The new duratec is a much better engine. Have only a 4 door Wild Track but in compare with the Vigo, it's a much better truck, Handling Styling and suspension is not hard like a "cemet truck". Locals use always Toyota. I want a different ride, therefore NEVER Toyota.

I asked my inlaws this weekend. They bought a new one 4.5 years ago. They love it. I am not a mechanic but they say on rough roads it handles good.

Just thought i would ask them since they bought one. Even at 5 years old it looks good and they say it gets 14 KM to the liter.

In Thailand everybody love Honda and Toyota. How many cars they had before? Honda click... I had few Toyotas before always bad luck with them, but one of my fork lifts being used in my company back home is 25yrs old Toyota, I feel they changed after they are no longer produced in Japan, thats why it is very funny that Toyota Vigo is so cool and Ford Ranger is shit, both are made in Thailand. :) Its like saying better wife is from central than from east Thailand.

Funny story from yesterday, me and taxi driver.

Me: ford ranger is better than Vigo

Taxi drive: no, ford takes much more petrol

Me: no, my company owns few focus cars back home with diesel which can go bellow 4lts/100km after he said that his Honda Jazz is taking 8l @90kmh

Taxi: wow, but toyota better, few seconds after we both saw Toyota Corolla with white smoke from engine parked on the side of the road :D

Good to say that resale value will be probably higher with Toyota and Honda, but you pay more for them when you buy them...

I buy car for me, not for people after me!

Bought Ranger today :D

I bought the Everest 4x4 3.0 a few months ago and have been very happy with it. The 3.0L engine has plenty of power and is very peppy. It's interior is much nicer than both the Fortuner and MU7 and also has much more usable space than either with the combination of ways the seats fold down. Leg room is definitely not a problem, even in the third row there is enough room for a smaller adult. As far as the frame and suspension goes it is made to be capable on AND off road. On the highway it rides smooth and quiet off road I have been impressed as well. Calling it a dinosaur is fine if you have the sheep mentality to buy a fortuner because everyone else is driving one. Granted Toyota makes a quality vehicle but there are way too many of them on the road for me. Before you buy, arrange to test drive them both and see how they compare.

Edit

Last point is the parking brake under the steering wheel which is actually a good idea. It may not be a new design but i have never understood why it needs to take up space in between the seats when it is only used to park. Unless of course you are planning on doing some Tokyo Drift sliding around corners in the local parking garage it is not needed during normal driving. Why not put it out of the way under the steering wheel? I honestly can't believe anyone woulds actually complain about this!

Edited by tuffy

I bought the Everest 4x4 3.0 a few months ago and have been very happy with it. The 3.0L engine has plenty of power and is very peppy. It's interior is much nicer than both the Fortuner and MU7 and also has much more usable space than either with the combination of ways the seats fold down. Leg room is definitely not a problem, even in the third row there is enough room for a smaller adult. As far as the frame and suspension goes it is made to be capable on AND off road. On the highway it rides smooth and quiet off road I have been impressed as well. Calling it a dinosaur is fine if you have the sheep mentality to buy a fortuner because everyone else is driving one. Granted Toyota makes a quality vehicle but there are way too many of them on the road for me. Before you buy, arrange to test drive them both and see how they compare.

Edit

Last point is the parking brake under the steering wheel which is actually a good idea. It may not be a new design but i have never understood why it needs to take up space in between the seats when it is only used to park. Unless of course you are planning on doing some Tokyo Drift sliding around corners in the local parking garage it is not needed during normal driving. Why not put it out of the way under the steering wheel? I honestly can't believe anyone woulds actually complain about this!

The parking brake should be in the middle console. Honda CRV have the same problem. But you need the parking brake only for snow drifting. So in Thailand is't not really important, where the parking berake is located in your car. I still prefere Ford over anything else. Specially the design is good, not boring and tasteless, like Japanese cars.

Edit

The parking brake should be in the middle console. Honda CRV have the same problem. But you need the parking brake only for snow drifting. So in Thailand is't not really important, where the parking berake is located in your car. I still prefere Ford over anything else. Specially the design is good, not boring and tasteless, like Japanese cars.

Try hit your knee in the parking brake during hard braking or small accident and you realize why all other vehicles have moved it to a safer place.

Try hit your knee in the parking brake during hard braking or small accident and you realize why all other vehicles have moved it to a safer place.

Interesting, considering the handbrake is recessed into the dashboard.

workcampics049.th.jpg

But then you do openly admit to reckless driving "i set my cruise control to 160km/h" so im guessing you probably dont bother with seatbelts, hence you have knee issues.

Edited by Spoonman

Interesting, considering the handbrake is recessed into the dashboard.

workcampics049.th.jpg

But then you do openly admit to reckless driving "i set my cruise control to 160km/h" so im guessing you probably dont bother with seatbelts, hence you have knee issues.

I dont have knee issues, but Euro NPCAP does have in crash tests with Rangers which is the same base vehicle and same dash/handbrake.

I use seatbelt even going just 1 km, so better for you to stop assuming and stick to facts.

Fact about handbrake is that all other vehicles have removed it from dash in front of knees to a safer position due to crash test requirements, but Everest keeps it there due to being based on a 25 year old vehicle and no need to pass any crash test since its not being sold in Europe or north american markets

Driving 160kmh on highway is not considered "reckless" by thai law, its a very minor offense at 200 baht

Some drivers can do it safely in some vehicles. Some cant.

Edited by katabeachbum

I dont have knee issues, but Euro NPCAP does have in crash tests with Rangers which is the same base vehicle and same dash/handbrake.

Driving 160kmh on highway is not considered "reckless" by thai law, its a very minor offense at 200 baht

I can only find a Euro NCAP test for the 2008 Ranger, nothing is mentioned of the Handbrake positioning.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/ford_ranger_2008/342.aspx

Do you have anything newer perhaps ??

As for the Thai law in regards to speeding... is that an official speeding ticket for 200b or is that the 200b you bribe the policeman with ??

Do you have the Euro NCAP for the Toyota Vigo (Hilux) Same base vehicle as the fortuner, I cant seem to find it, has there been one done ??

Edited by Spoonman

I can only find a Euro NCAP test for the 2008 Ranger, nothing is mentioned of the Handbrake positioning.

As for the Thai law in regards to speeding... is that an official speeding ticket for 200b or is that the 200b you bribe the policeman with ??

Do you have the Euro NCAP for the Toyota Vigo (Hilux) Same base vehicle as the fortuner, I cant seem to find it, has there been one done ??

Yeah I am going to have to call BS on the hand brake being a safety hazard as it is recessed, Also the Everest has side impact beams as well as side airbags :) and dual front airbags, which the other brands do not offer.

I use seatbelt even going just 1 km, so better for you to stop assuming and stick to facts.

Fact about handbrake is that all other vehicles have removed it from dash in front of knees to a safer position due to crash test requirements, but Everest keeps it there due to being based on a 25 year old vehicle and no need to pass any crash test since its not being sold in Europe or north american markets

Maybe you should stick to facts as well, the Ranger (Rememeber, same same from the B pillar forward) is sold into the European and South american markets, and as pointed out by your good self it is certainly tested.

Maybe you should stick to facts as well, the Ranger (Rememeber, same same from the B pillar forward) is sold into the European and South american markets, and as pointed out by your good self it is certainly tested.

Fact: as I mentioned tested in Europe and very dangerous for drivers knees. Dont know any South American market requiring crash tests

The Chevy Tahoos I used to buy from Argentina didnt even have airbags, but they did have EU approved lights unlike their US or Canada made cousins

but hey, its a free world and everyone can choose what suits them

Please show me where in the Euro NPCAP test where it states the Handbrake is a hazard, you obviously have this knowledge, why not share it.

And what relevance does a chebby Tahoe got to do with a discussion about a Ford Everest/Ranger ??

Edited by Spoonman

Yeah I am going to have to call BS on the hand brake being a safety hazard as it is recessed, Also the Everest has side impact beams as well as side airbags :) and dual front airbags, which the other brands do not offer.

I'm not interested in any airbags at all, because in Europe (maybe in Thailand later) it's a common issue that tiefs broke in your car to steal the air bags. Lot of hassles, damages and timewasting until your car is back on the road. So beter NO air bags at all

I'm not interested in any airbags at all, because in Europe (maybe in Thailand later) it's a common issue that tiefs broke in your car to steal the air bags. Lot of hassles, damages and timewasting until your car is back on the road. So beter NO air bags at all

I thought we were just discussing safety, personally I wouldn't own a car with out airbags for safety. My car also has a stereo which thieves tend to steal, and wheels which they will steal if given a chance. You might be better off taking the bus.

Edited by tuffy

I thought we were just discussing safety, personally I wouldn't own a car with out airbags for safety. My car also has a stereo which thieves tend to steal, and wheels which they will steal if given a chance. You might be better off taking the bus.

Today each car has their own stereo, so they can't use it in another model if they steal it. Aftermarket Stereo with universal mounting easly get stolen, they can put in any car . But actually todays cars have already good stereo, there is no need for DVD palyers and all that Hi Tech toys. Should be anyway not legal th have a DVD player and screen in a car. Car is for drive not for look TV. Air bags ok for someone who like to have it. I no need both of it. I drive 30 Years now WITHUOT air bags or ABS and WITHOUT DVD Screen in a car. I also walket in the school everyday 6 km, because our dad didn't drove us kids in the school, even when snowing. Later when i was 16, i drove Bysicle and small motorbike in switzerland, without helmet. Oh wonder, I still a life. I not say about safety, but i don't see the necessary of air bags in another way you can watch movie in a car during driving. what is the option to have air bags, whern they got 4 tiomes stolen a year, during holidays in Spain or Italy.

Still not take the bus, drive old Tanks without aribags, instead of plastic toys.

200 baht is the official fine for speeding 160 kmh on highway, I have saved 3 of them. Asking bribes are anything from 500 down in my experience, but large official speed checks with 15-20 officers on duty is official fine 200 baht with fine clercks in place. Smooth.

Do approx 50k km on highway a year, and if there is an official speedcheck, I pay my 200 baht and has carte blanche to keep the speed up rest of the day.

Last crash test with Euro pickups I read was in a euro newspaper june 2009. DMax is a disaster, passanger compartment and roof collapsing, frame bendt. Ranger stronger frame and body, but to high HIC and handbrake issue at very low speed. Navara ok after airbagsoftware upgrade, Mitsu ok, Vigo ok with 2 aibags.

To the poster saying only Everest has 2 front airbags, read up. Izu, Mitsu and Toyota is on par.

BTW airbags can only partly compensate for an old frame and old body without proper deformation zones, or as with Dmax a too soft passanger compartment/frame.