New Ford Everest 3.0 4x4 Ltd

thaieagle67

200 baht is the official fine for speeding 160 kmh on highway, I have saved 3 of them. Asking bribes are anything from 500 down in my experience, but large official speed checks with 15-20 officers on duty is official fine 200 baht with fine clercks in place. Smooth.

Do approx 50k km on highway a year, and if there is an official speedcheck, I pay my 200 baht and has carte blanche to keep the speed up rest of the day.

Last crash test with Euro pickups I read was in a euro newspaper june 2009. DMax is a disaster, passanger compartment and roof collapsing, frame bendt. Ranger stronger frame and body, but to high HIC and handbrake issue at very low speed. Navara ok after airbagsoftware upgrade, Mitsu ok, Vigo ok with 2 aibags.

To the poster saying only Everest has 2 front airbags, read up. Izu, Mitsu and Toyota is on par.

BTW airbags can only partly compensate for an old frame and old body without proper deformation zones, or as with Dmax a too soft passanger compartment/frame.

I Did not mean to say Everest is the only SUV in Thailand with front air bags but it is the only one with side air bags

200 baht is the official fine for speeding 160 kmh on highway, I have saved 3 of them. Asking bribes are anything from 500 down in my experience, but large official speed checks with 15-20 officers on duty is official fine 200 baht with fine clercks in place. Smooth.

Do approx 50k km on highway a year, and if there is an official speedcheck, I pay my 200 baht and has carte blanche to keep the speed up rest of the day.

Last crash test with Euro pickups I read was in a euro newspaper june 2009. DMax is a disaster, passanger compartment and roof collapsing, frame bendt. Ranger stronger frame and body, but to high HIC and handbrake issue at very low speed. Navara ok after airbagsoftware upgrade, Mitsu ok, Vigo ok with 2 aibags.

To the poster saying only Everest has 2 front airbags, read up. Izu, Mitsu and Toyota is on par.

BTW airbags can only partly compensate for an old frame and old body without proper deformation zones, or as with Dmax a too soft passanger compartment/frame.

I Did not mean to say Everest is the only SUV in Thailand with front air bags but it is the only one with side air bags

agree, Everest is a nice kit with sideairbags, good looks, 5speed auto/ good engine and some dvd stuff.

Kata, you keep harping on about the Everest/Ranger handbrake issue, do you have some factual evidence to prove its an issue.

Intersting bout the speeding ticket though, I got done for doing 140km/h (100km/h zone), I was gven a ticket for 400b that I had to pay at the Highway Police station in Pattaya, maybe these road side sellers/police stalls are "different".

Kata, you keep harping on about the Everest/Ranger handbrake issue, do you have some factual evidence to prove its an issue.

Intersting bout the speeding ticket though, I got done for doing 140km/h (100km/h zone), I was gven a ticket for 400b that I had to pay at the Highway Police station in Pattaya, maybe these road side sellers/police stalls are "different".

Same happend to me in NE, 140+ out of city 400b, 10 policemen with mobile office :) 30mins before they stopped me for same speed and only warned me that I should go slower :D

I'm not interested in any airbags at all, because in Europe (maybe in Thailand later) it's a common issue that tiefs broke in your car to steal the air bags. Lot of hassles, damages and timewasting until your car is back on the road. So beter NO air bags at all

:D:)

200-1000 baht is the fine for minor traffic offense, up to officer and policedistrict. havent been to pattay for 40 years, but 900km Phuket-BKK its always 200baht when caught cruising 157-162 kmh. With official reciept. Once radar, the rest laser, usually see them as they clock me. The "2-3 guys with sunglasses and papermask" I usually dont bother to pull over for any more.

i ll try to find the source for 2009 Euro test crash. As I understand it also reflects in the insurance premium in europe, compare insurance price for Vigo and Ranger/Mazda BT50 with same value

Jeeez, the handbrake is a 30cm long 12mm rebar just where your knee hits the dash. No airbag in this area

Jeeez, the handbrake is a 30cm long 12mm rebar just where your knee hits the dash. No airbag in this area

The handbrake is not 30cm long and its not 12mm rebar, <snip>.

001mfb.th.jpg

great photo, as we can see its rather long (perhaps only 28cm? but looks more like 35cm) and would damage drivers knee going far up femur even if its less than 12 mm steelbar (but looks approx 12mm though). would you care to post the dimensions Spoonman?

<snip>

Edited by soundman

Well the wife suprised me yesterday, as she had been down to the local Ford dealer to have a look at the Everest and she was impressed! So maybe i have to give it a second chance. She liked the new look, interior and spare wheel on the back door design, so she hasn't quite got the concept of the some of the technical issues you guys have raised but if the missus likes it, well that's half the battle won :)

After doing a wide internet search on available vehicles in Thailand, my preference would be the new Mazda CX-9, very smart looking vehicle but at a completely bonkers 3,690,000 Baht :D , is no way justifiable.

The Everest is swinging back into the equation.

[great photo, as we can see its rather long (perhaps only 28cm? but looks more like 35cm) and would damage drivers knee going far up femur even if its less than 12 mm steelbar (but looks approx 12mm though). would you care to post the dimensions Spoonman?

Diameter = 11mm

length (stroke) = 110mm.

How ya going with that NCAP report ??

Thaieagle67, good to hear the Everest is back on the table, for what they are they are pretty dam_n good, you will be happy with it.

Ford have a lot of faith in there product, I pull them apart and fill them full of Armor (650kgs aditional weight) and they still honor the driveline warranty, unlike toyota.

Edited by Spoonman

She liked the new look, interior and spare wheel on the back door design,

Funny, the wheel mounted on the door was the reason I ruled out the Everest. Each to their own.

Having the wheel mounted on the rear door makes it easy to see if someone has stolen it, mounted underneath you will only realise when you have a flat and go to change it.

Having the wheel mounted on the rear door makes it easy to see if someone has stolen it, mounted underneath you will only realise when you have a flat and go to change it.

You're not wrong. My missus has been in the fortuner on her own both times it's had a flat, so there is logic in her thinking.

I must admit though, that i had a rear mounted spare wheel on my old Jeep Cherokee when i lived in the middle east and if the locking mechanism was slightly worn, the spare wheel and its support used to bang like hel_l on the back door, so had be changed regularly and it wasn't cheap. That said, we were doing some serious desert and wadi driving, which is highly unlikely in Thailand, so the Everest is still in with a chance.

Looking forward to getting home now and trying all those on my short list. I'll also see if i can get a go in a CX-9, even if i have no intention of buying one, they just look that good!

I am just going to correct myself here, as looking at the Everest pictures again, i think the wheel mount is bolted directly to the door, so the comment about my Cherokee with its swing arm mounted rear wheel is not valid. Somebody please confirm that is the case!

I am just going to correct myself here, as looking at the Everest pictures again, i think the wheel mount is bolted directly to the door, so the comment about my Cherokee with its swing arm mounted rear wheel is not valid. Somebody please confirm that is the case!

Yes, its on 5th door and it is easy to operate, solid feeling + you have parking camera, no need to be afraid.

I will recommend 3.0, 5sp automatic is good...

I chose ranger 3.0 4x4at, I feel its lighter, and I have it only to go to Big C and Fishing - holiday car.

Edited by RadekGCZ

What model Everest does the parking camera come on, must be the top of the range one, thanks for the heads up though, ive been meaning to include this as an option for our Vehicles, if its a Ford option even better.

Yep the 3.0 LTD 4X4 Nav versions specifications state that a rear view/reversing camera is fitted as standard. Oh that Ford is looking better....... :)

What model Everest does the parking camera come on, must be the top of the range one, thanks for the heads up though, ive been meaning to include this as an option for our Vehicles, if its a Ford option even better.

I tested 2.5 with leather, it had camera + DVD for 2nd row, check www.ford.co.th they have nice web in EN

Thanks Radek, iam very Familiar with the Ford website, ive never really looked into what options the vehicles can come with.

I had two vehicles come in a few weeks back with leather and the roof mounted DVD screen....wow that DVD screen is really a tacky "add on" mostly noticeable when the roof lining is pulled out, Ford could have made it look/feel more integrated for sure.

Thanks Radek, iam very Familiar with the Ford website, ive never really looked into what options the vehicles can come with.

I had two vehicles come in a few weeks back with leather and the roof mounted DVD screen....wow that DVD screen is really a tacky "add on" mostly noticeable when the roof lining is pulled out, Ford could have made it look/feel more integrated for sure.

I am glad you mentioned that. It's maybe something i could approach them about. I wonder if they would be prepared to leave out the factory fitted unit and have one of my choice installed instead. Anyone tried that, for any manufacturer?

• 6 months later...

Gents.....I have been in Thailand since 1989 and have worked most of the years here in Thailand for firms that owned lots of pick ups of different makes. We have owned them all and I mean in the range of 100 pick ups I have had hands on experience with that the company used.

Toyota s have bad top ends on the engines. Valves give problems on the diesels anyway. Now that problem comes at +/-200,000 to 250,000 Kms so most farangs never experience the engine problems. Mitsuis are a bit better in the engine dept, while Fords, Nissans,and Mazdas have the best engines. I drove one Ford Ranger 400,000 KMs with no engine issues. In short if you are buying to use for a long time buy Ford or Mazda as they are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Parts are 20% lower than most other makes. If you will use for 2 to 5 years buy Toyota or Isuzu as resale is much better.

On the fuel usage its crazy....Thais tell u how good of fuel consumption they get but when u ask how many kms per lt they say something like I can drive from Nakorn Nowhere to Bkk on 1/2 tank which tells me nothing about real usage. ha ha

I know one rental guy who owns 50 pick ups and he will not touch a Toyota due to engine issues plus they are higher to buy 2nd hand.

Wondere how the new Tatas are?????

Interesting post. Standby for lots of inputs- que Transam, K-BeachBum and MRO for starters.

I have a 3 year old Nissan Navara King Cab, and unless we win the Lottery that truck will have to last.

If TV is still going in 10 years +, I will post back.

No idea but looks OK, not to sure about the front end of the new Everest/Ranger.. and a big plus

Free five-year/150,000km extended warranty

Free five-year scheduled maintenance

it says on there web site..

Or the new Kia on Thaiautomax

The new Sportage is covered by Kia’s warranty program, which offers unprecedented consumer protection. Included in this program are a 10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty, a five-year/60,000-mile limited basic warranty and a five-year/100,000-mile anti-perforation warranty. A five-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance plan also is part of the vehicle coverage.

If a guy is keeping a car for 5 years or more look at dealer service and if thats ok buy what ya like! lol

I always buy what I like anyway and do not think much about resale but as normal I ride them to rust anyway