Road Accidents

The traffic in Chaweng was like the M25 on a Friday nite. 3 scooter accidents outside my bar but no bad injuries.

As an aside, a friend of mine wanted to hire a taxi from the other side of Meanam to Chaweng and back. To avoid drink driving. The taxi wanted 3000 Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) He declined.

Traffic was heavy, many, many visitors.... visit the local hospitals and then go and figure!

Happy new year?

And the BiB's out in force...

From what I hear it was total carnage out there on New Years Eve. The ambulances were parked at many of the crossroads just waiting for something to happen. A really sad case was the farang who checked into his resort, rented a bike and then picked up a doris in Lamai and on the way home ran into the back of a truck, killing both of them. Apparantly his bag in his room was still unpacked ! :)

Traffic was heavy, many, many visitors.... visit the local hospitals and then go and figure!

Happy new year?

And the BiB's out in force...

From what I hear it was total carnage out there on New Years Eve. The ambulances were parked at many of the crossroads just waiting for something to happen. A really sad case was the farang who checked into his resort, rented a bike and then picked up a doris in Lamai and on the way home ran into the back of a truck, killing both of them. Apparantly his bag in his room was still unpacked ! :)

That's so tragic. Where did you hear this?

"A really sad case was the farang who checked into his resort, rented a bike and then picked up a doris in Lamai and on the way home ran into the back of a truck, killing both of them. Apparantly his bag in his room was still unpacked"

I had a friend that died early hours wednesday morning, this sounds like the same thing just told differently. If it is the same the fact is it was a thai girl riding and over taking on a blind corner that crashed into a rubbish truck head on :).

R.I.P Graham :_(

If a different person then i am saddened more by this :D

"A really sad case was the farang who checked into his resort, rented a bike and then picked up a doris in Lamai and on the way home ran into the back of a truck, killing both of them. Apparantly his bag in his room was still unpacked"

I had a friend that died early hours wednesday morning, this sounds like the same thing just told differently. If it is the same the fact is it was a thai girl riding and over taking on a blind corner that crashed into a rubbish truck head on :) .

R.I.P Graham :_(

If a different person then i am saddened more by this :D

You are correct, the girl was driving and the guy had only been on the island for two hours !

As an aside, a friend of mine wanted to hire a taxi from the other side of Meanam to Chaweng and back. To avoid drink driving. The taxi wanted 3000 Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He declined.

that is criminal !!!!!!!!

should be 200 THB MAX , 45 THB if by metre taxi...

crazy really, as if the taxis charged normal prices, deaths could be avoided as more people would take taxis !

If your going to drive in thailand,you had better know what your doing.If ya haven't ridden A bike for many years and miles you might not want to.If ya haven't drove A car in rush hour in many of the biggest cities, you might want to forget about it.You have to be looking out for the other driver every minute or you'll be toast.This is not an exageration.

If your going to drive in thailand,you had better know what your doing.If ya haven't ridden A bike for many years and miles you might not want to.If ya haven't drove A car in rush hour in many of the biggest cities, you might want to forget about it.You have to be looking out for the other driver every minute or you'll be toast.This is not an exageration.

What appalls me is tourists, who have never driven a scooter before, driving too fast without a crash helmet. Many come from countries that don't drive on the left hand side of the road so in an emergency situation, their first reaction is to swerve into oncoming traffic. I got hit by a French tourist who swerved to miss a dog and went straight into me. :)

As an aside, a friend of mine wanted to hire a taxi from the other side of Meanam to Chaweng and back. To avoid drink driving. The taxi wanted 3000 Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He declined.

that is criminal !!!!!!!!

should be 200 THB MAX , 45 THB if by metre taxi...

crazy really, as if the taxis charged normal prices, deaths could be avoided as more people would take taxis !

Until the taxi drivers start drinking too...

The traffic in Chaweng was like the M25 on a Friday nite. 3 scooter accidents outside my bar but no bad injuries.

As an aside, a friend of mine wanted to hire a taxi from the other side of Meanam to Chaweng and back. To avoid drink driving. The taxi wanted 3000 Baht!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) He declined.

Samui! Good place to live ?????????????

i can not think of any place i would rather be, how about you?

Agree, where do you live?

Novogrod?

Always the whiners that wish they could live here that whine.

Agree, where do you live?

Novogrod?

Always the whiners that wish they could live here that whine.

I think PEP lives in a one goat village in Isaan, has opened a noodle stall which isn't doing too well and is trying to justify his move there!!! :D

Bad news always brings out the haters. Surprisingly, given the extremely high number of road accidents in the leader of the NY carnage, Chiang Mai, the CM forum isn't full of people talking about how its hel_l on earth and how they'd all better move. Of course, that will change once the burning season starts and the pollution picks up :)

The most cumulative deaths were reported in Chiang Mai and Chanthaburi with 11 deaths in each province while the highest number of the injured was seen in Nakhon Si Thammarat with 128.

We say it every year and every year its bad, but Thailand really needs to do something about its drunk driving problem. Songkran is the next big bad one and it will probably be just as bad. I remember one year they set up a road block outside of Thong Sala to catch drunk drivers on Songkran. We drove through the road block, one cop was watching a portable tv, the other one was on his phone and watched us drive by (about midnight I guess). It wasn't until we got to a dark part of the road that we realized the headlights weren't on. Police couldn't have cared less.

We say it every year and every year its bad, but Thailand really needs to do something about its drunk driving problem. Songkran is the next big bad one and it will probably be just as bad.

Yep. That is the time of year to stock up the fridge and stay home for a few days.

A deadly time of year.