Creative Writing Courses In Cm?

Andreas84

Does anyone know if there are courses in creative writing in Chiang Mai? It could be anything from short workshops to courses of long duration. Or groups where people meet a few times a month or so, to give feedback on each others written material (essays, short stories, poetry etc). Maybe there are associations or meetings for (english-speaking) writers in Chiang Mai?

Anything related to this, also in other parts of Thailand, would be interesting for me to know about. I am specifically interested in courses etc related to writing, which are really emphazising true creativity and exploration, rather than a kind of conventional, "conformist" university course :-)

I think that the OP wants to take a class on creative writing not teach one. I don't think that taking a creative writing class designed for Thai students would do him/her much good. The language institute at CMU focuses on teaching to Thai students not to foreigners. There are a few different creative writing courses offered in Chiang Mai (CMU/Payap, private language schools) but they are designed for EFL students, and are usually taught by people with limited publishing experience.

There are some poetry clubs and similar groups around most are comprised of amateurs or those with limited publishing experience, but they will be able to help some. You will find a small community of writers here. I think that when you actually get here you will be able to meet up with like minded people.

There is a writers club that meet each thursday at a restaurant in the Nimmenhamen area of Chiang Mai. There is no charge and they welcome new members. Various amateur and professional writers read their stuff out loud to the other members and get creative suggestions as feedback. I'm a professional writer but I get good suggestions and advice all the time. If you want to know more then just PM me and I'll gladly give you the details.

I think that the OP wants to take a class on creative writing not teach one. I don't think that taking a creative writing class designed for Thai students would do him/her much good. The language institute at CMU focuses on teaching to Thai students not to foreigners. There are a few different creative writing courses offered in Chiang Mai (CMU/Payap, private language schools) but they are designed for EFL students, and are usually taught by people with limited publishing experience.

There are some poetry clubs and similar groups around most are comprised of amateurs or those with limited publishing experience, but they will be able to help some. You will find a small community of writers here. I think that when you actually get here you will be able to meet up with like minded people.

OK, thanks for your input. I guess you are right that courses aimed at thai students is not really interesting to me, or perhaps to many westerners in general. In example, I would assume that any course aimed at EFL students would imply their english skills are generally not very good, compared with a westerner who can speak and write english quite fluently, although he has english as a second language? But the latter (poetry clubs etc) could be of interest.

There is a writers club that meet each thursday at a restaurant in the Nimmenhamen area of Chiang Mai. There is no charge and they welcome new members. Various amateur and professional writers read their stuff out loud to the other members and get creative suggestions as feedback. I'm a professional writer but I get good suggestions and advice all the time. If you want to know more then just PM me and I'll gladly give you the details.

Cool, I'll PM you

• 7 months later...

So, you want to write?

Now’s your chance to take part in writing workshops

this September in Chiang Mai

‘Write Now - Get Writing’ 1-day workshop

Thursday 23rd Sept 10am-6pm ‘get started and keep going’

‘Get Travel Writing’– 1/2-day workshop

– Friday 24th September 9am-1pm ‘make money while traveling"

‘Writing to make a difference’ – 1/2 day workshop

– Friday 24th September 2-6pm ‘write to bring about change’

Whether you are a published writer, fancy you have ‘a book inside you’, or just want to start writing, you are invited to take part in full and half day writing workshops in Chiang Mai this month. Packed with fun exercises and deep insights, these practical workshops will give you new skills, knowledge, inspiration and confidence to write – and get published, and get paid.

Led by writing teacher and mentor Keith Lyons,

each workshop includes a meal at the Chiang Mai Writers Club,

follow-up 1-on-1 consultation and a full money-back guarantee*

*if you follow the programme and after 1 year you haven’t achieved success, we’ll refund your money

‘Write Now - Get Writing’ – Thursday 23rd 10am-6pm – investment 1699 baht, incl. meal

‘Get Travel Writing’ – Friday 24th 9am-1pm – investment 999 baht, includes meal

‘Writing to make a difference’ – Friday 24th 2-6pm – investment 999 baht, includes meal

Venue: Chiang Mai Writer’s Club and Wine Bar –

141 / 3 Ratchadamnoen Road, Ampur Muang,Chiang Mai, phone 814187

located in the centre of the old city, midway between historic Tapei Gate and Wat Pra Singh

To register: contact Keith Lyons [email protected]

“Keith’s ‘Get Writing’ workshop was the one single event which changed me from telling others I was a writer to actually writing and getting published.” A.G., Australia, 2009

“Writing is a mind game, and from the workshop I learnt how to overcome my fears about writing so I could sit down and write what I really want to say.” P.L., Hong Kong, 2010

• 9 years later...

I know, 

it's a very late reply

to the original post, 

but I found a place where 

I am more than happy with 

and it should be mentioned here 

to complete the thread: 

http://writesmartacademy.com/

I am doing a PhD

that I am going to write in english 

and since its not my mother tongue 

and I am struggling with writing in general 

I haves some troubles of how to start 

and how to express my thoughts....

Suphak helped me a lot

after two weeks already

by just asking the right questions 

and giving me a wonderful advice 

of how to adress the right audience! 

Even my need for a writing class 

is in an academic field 

I am sure that Suphak, 

who holds a PhD in comparative literature 

and is a great teacher & empathic person, 

is able to help in belletristic and creative writing. 

She used to teach at Chiang Mai University 

and is a really motivated person. 

And even if you can not read it here 

my writing and my relation to writing 

improved a lot within a month already... 

Edited by Chrissiha