THAI denies rumor on planned strike by pilots

george

THAI denies rumor on planned strike by pilots

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc has denied a rumor about a planned work stoppage by pilots on 27 April because of dissatisfaction with the monthly salary restructuring, saying it was spread by an ill-intention group.

Wanchai Sarntoontat, Permanent Secretary for Transport acting as the chairman of THAI’s board, said the group disseminated the rumor through facsimiles to the media that the national airline’s pilots need to apologize passengers for their decision to stop working on that date since they are upset about the new monthly salary structure.

They claim most staff members lose morale support for working under the structure because the company passes a tax burden to them.

Mr. Wanchai said he had inquired with the company’s management and the union labor’s representative, who reiterated the rumor was groundless. They said the board and management had reached a proper understanding with the staff on the restructuring.

“Such a rumor takes me by surprise. I believe it is the work of an ill-intention group of people who want to destroy the company’s reputation. I have already instructed THAI’s President Kanok Apiradee to look into the matter,” he said.

Permsak Tongpaiboon, President of the Pilots Association, said the report was untrue and was believed be released through the media by the ill-intention group.

He said the association had closely discussed with the company’s management the restructuring of the monthly salary of pilots. It would not definitely use any difference on the matter to ignite the work stoppage.

--TNA 2005-04-25