Cambodia, Thai Soldiers Enjoy New Year's Dance Near Border

churchill

PHNOM PENH, Jan. 4 (Xinhua) -- Some 80 Cambodian and Thai soldiers enjoyed a New Year's dance last weekend, a festivity that helped the two sides of armed forces to know each other and exchange gifts, a senior military official said Monday.

Major Gen. Srey Doek, commander of Division 3 based at Preah Vihear Temple said some 30 Thai soldiers and 50 Cambodian soldiers who are all based along the two countries' borders had enjoyed a Jan. 1 gathering.

He said during the gathering, both sides had exchanged gifts, sharing fruits, drinks and danced to the music together for about two hours at Choam Te border point, about 18 kilometers from Preah Vihear Temple.

He said during the gathering, both sides had pledged that regular meetings shall be held in order to avoid any armed clash.

Since the border conflict between the two nations began last year, two times of armed clashes had occurred, during which several soldiers from both sides were killed and injured.

Cambodia and Thailand believe in Buddhism and they enjoy similar culture, tradition and round dance (Roam Vong Dance).

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2010-01/...nt_12752727.htm

The Israelis and Palestinians should learn from this... so much more intelligent than killing each other.

But, typically, all this window dressing and PR doesn't help resolve the underlying issue - unless they have a "Dance Off" to sort it out. In which case I fancy the Cambodians to win.

Pity the love-in doesn't extend to the politicians then we can have our local tourist attraction back again.

Yes it's a pity that a beautiful place like this is inaccessible! :)

The Israelis and Palestinians should learn from this... so much more intelligent than killing each other.

Well, maybe if the Arabs didn't send children and the mentally infirm into Israel proper wearing explosive devices that went boom. Several Thai citizens have been injured in such explosions and I don't think they were combatants. At this time neither the Cambodians nor Thais have engaged in such activities.

In any case, your point is irrelevant since the Palestinians are too busy feuding with each other much like the Reds and Yellows of Bangkok.

What I really wanted to know is if there was a slow dance and if any of the soldiers exchanged furtive glances and then consummated the romantic notions that stirred in their young lonely hearts?

Well, maybe if the Arabs didn't send children and the mentally infirm into Israel proper wearing explosive devices that went boom. Several Thai citizens have been injured in such explosions and I don't think they were combatants. At this time neither the Cambodians nor Thais have engaged in such activities.

In any case, your point is irrelevant since the Palestinians are too busy feuding with each other much like the Reds and Yellows of Bangkok.

What I really wanted to know is if there was a slow dance and if any of the soldiers exchanged furtive glances and then consummated the romantic notions that stirred in their young lonely hearts?

What you say about Israel/Palestinians is true, of course; the dispute has simply gone too far.

Thai and Cambodian soldiers dancing together? Jeez! What's next? A karaoke? A picture of of perfect peace - until somebody treads on somebody else's toe. Suggest that the Thai Government send a few regiments of katoeys down there.

The mental picture I get is somewhat similar to two homosexuals on a tandem - a dog ran out into the road and threw a bucket of water over them.

Reminds me of the football match played in no man's land on Christmas Day 1914. :)

That sure helped to shorten the war - only another 4 years - well 5 if you count the hostilities against the Russians which nobody talks about any more, but still appears in the dates 1914-1919 which one sees on many World War 1 era memorials across Britain!

Reminds me of the football match played in no man's land on Christmas Day 1914. :)

That sure helped to shorten the war - only another 4 years - well 5 if you count the hostilities against the Russians which nobody talks about any more, but still appears in the dates 1914-1919 which one sees on many World War 1 era memorials across Britain!

Orders are orders. Doesn't make the story any less touching.