Color Change For Auto

The registration of my old P.U truck is being slowed because last year I had it painted a different color. In a world where people believe what other people say, I could just tell the registration folks, "Hi, I had the truck painted" - some cleric would take 1 second to write the word 'green' in place of 'white' on the form, and we could go on from there.

But no, because no one trusts what anyone else says at face value, and because Thai bureaucracy has to make mountains of mole hills, an otherwise benign and simple adjustment becomes a drawn out process. Several days/hours and many miles later, and the glitch should be ironed out enough to satisfy their byzantine requirements.

I can't offer words of advice, as I'm only in the 20th hour of a 2 to 4 day process, but perhaps some T.Visaite can articulate how to make it easier.

The process for registering a colour change for my car was straight forward enough.Just needed to take the receipt from the paint shop to the registration office and done!

Just be sure it is a "registered" paint shop - or you will have all the dramas the OP is going through.

The process for registering a colour change for my car was straight forward enough.Just needed to take the receipt from the paint shop to the registration office and done!

Just be sure it is a "registered" paint shop - or you will have all the dramas the OP is going through.

If you would use a agent to change your registration it would be easy. Normally you have to use a rigistered paintshop. If you don't, you can "buy" those "registered bills" for approx 300 Baht at the transport offfice. At least in BKK and Pattaya they do it this way.

Edited by stingray

So what happens when you turn up with your very old truck you've just given a spruce over with the leftover enamel from a house repaint--- meltdown???

So what happens when you turn up with your very old truck you've just given a spruce over with the leftover enamel from a house repaint--- meltdown???

See OP.

it was a paint job from a real shop on main street, not sure whether it was registered as such. They did an excellent job, by the way. Perhaps remiss of them to not make it clear to me about the formalities.

Anyhow, am getting things straightened out. Ordinarily, an annual registration update for this vehicle takes about 2 hours. This year it's about 6 hours stretched over 3 days - with lots and lots of unnecessary bureaucracy - as expected for Thailand.

Thats seems pretty harsh, what if i paint my car myself ??

Thats seems pretty harsh, what if i paint my car myself ??

Unless you have a license, applying to re-register the new colour will not be accepted.

Unless you have a license, applying to re-register the new colour will not be accepted.

I am truly speechless.

True and happened to me on a POS Beetle I painted myself. In spite of the fact that the newly painted car was sitting before their eyes they refused to change the colour in the book and needed an official receipt. Common sense would then tell them that any such receipt would be a fabrication, however reason does not enter into the equation and such a receipt was produced and accepted - job done

Edited by soundman
Added quote tags.

Wife and I will also run into this prob soon.

Our second S6 has been repainted in some backstreet shop AND we have taken the engine from the 1st S6. However, the car title has not been officially been transferred yet.

Wife will use an agent at the dept to do all at the same time.

Can't wait to roll out in our (sorta) new black on black S6. Excellent paint job btw.

However, I will give her the heads up on the repaint issue. I know she knows its big issue for the bureaucrats. The new engine VIN will be worse, but we have the insurance papers and all.