Farang Kids In Thailand - Safety?

liahayes

Hi!

I am travelling to Nong Khai with my partner and two kids aged 4 and 8, in Feb for five weeks to volunteer at a nursery school teaching english. We are staying with the school teacher in her home.

Having been to Thailand before, I consider this a great cultural experience for the kids, and don't feel my kids would be in danger.

My little girl's dad is very concerned about her safety, having heard alot of reports and stories about safety in Thailand.

He is mainly concerned that she is a really friendly kid, who talks to EVERYONE and he is worried she will either be led astray by a stranger, or that should I get seperated from her, or injured, she would not having any help and can not speak Thai.

He is also worried about the chance of medical issues arising through hygiene..food..water..air borne diseases etc, and that if that did happen, we would not be able to get appropriate help.

He is less concerned about political instability and or terrorist attacks (our Government websites outlines Thailand as a place likely to experience both of these??) but is very concerned that she will come to grief in Thailand and does not want to come with us.

I would REALLY appreciate any experiences, good and bad, about travelling and staying with farang kids in Thailand, anything about Nong Khai in particular the standards of living available there, medical help and the amount of people who can understand English. NB: We are learning Thai now, but by no means are beyond the basics yet. smile.gif

I would really appreciate any feedback on this, thanks so much in advance!! blush.gif

as you will be staying with thai friends you are much safer than alone, them, as teachers would know how to protect your kids and give any help, if needed.

take as much precautions beforehand - injections, vaccinations, good medical insurance.

nonk khai is a provincial town, but with hospitals - medical staff speaks english, in any case you can get a translator.

most you should be aware are diseases carried by mosquitos, so get a good cream.

Thailand is no different than any where else in the world you take your children

You have to have common sense and you have to have due diligence

You keep an eye on your kids AT ALL TIMES

Child trafficking is very high in Thailand and surrounding areas and you need to be aware of that

I personally would not let the kids out of the house with anyone but yourself

Leaving your kids with a Thai in charge that you dont know very well is asking for trouble.

Never trust anyone with YOUR CHILDREN is a good rule to follow

Think of the worst and then do the best.

The worst would be how you would deal with your kid disappearing in Thailand and the best is doing everything you possibly can to have the kids safe and make sure there is

NO CHANCE of that happening.

There is a false sense of security because Thai people are so friendly.

However, Thai people let their kids roam all over the place because they never fear anything bad with happen???????????????

Yet thousands of children disappear each year

As mentioned before, drinking water, mosquitoes, local Thai food can all cause serious problems for kids not exposed to it.

Their immune system to germs in not as strong as adults, so keep that in mind

Food you eat might make them sick because they are not use to the germs and bacteria

If you love your kids and fear the thought of every losing them here or anywhere, you know what to do as a parent

The kid's dad is right to be worried. His concern fo her safety is real, not only in Nong Khai area, but everywhere in the world she'd be. What you are advised not to do in Nong Khai, should not be allowed anywhere else.

I sure you and your family will enjoy your time in thailand.

I have a toddler. Strangers are always picking her up and playing with her, which she thoroughly enjoys. Thais love kids, and are genuinely friendly.

My daughter too will talk to anyone, and of course i keep a close eye on her.

Unfortunately, the awareness of safety in this country is very poor. Though most Thai's don't see a problem.

I don't want to put you off your trip, but you should be more vigilant concerning safety than you would be at home. Don't assume that anything is safe. Examples.. My friend's toddler electrocuted from touching a bare electrical wire at a restaurant. A toddler killed by falling into an unsupervised pot of boiling rice porridge at a kindergarten. The list is tragically endless.

I have a toddler. Strangers are always picking her up and playing with her, which she thoroughly enjoys. Thais love kids, and are genuinely friendly.

Unfortunately, the awareness of safety in this country is very poor. Though most Thai's don't see a problem.

I don't want to put you off your trip, but you should be more vigilant concerning safety than you would be at home. Don't assume that anything is safe. Examples.. My friend's toddler electrocuted from touching a bare electrical wire at a restaurant. A toddler killed by falling into an unsupervised pot of boiling rice porridge at a kindergarten. The list is tragically endless.

yes if a thai is walking with a child by her side then 70% of the time its on the wrong side where the heavy traffic is

they really have a very very poor sence about thinking about safety for others or themself...

Pieter :):D:D

Fortunatly i have never seen a bad one----but have seen many close shaves with visiting children { and some adults } nearly coming to grief while just walking along the road--as regards to being traffic-wise.

May be so different from where they have come from--and just not aware of the crazy driving that goes on.

That would also be one of my concerns.

Bucko

Thanks everyone so far for their replies.

From my point of view - I am very, if not overly cautious of my kids even in Australia. I would never think to leave me kids with a stranger or someone I did not know well, even for a minute, neither would I not surpervise them in a restaurant, near a road etc.

I guess what we are trying to establish is if it is MORE dangerous in Thailand than at home - or just still the fact that when you take your kids out ANYWHERE, you supervise them?

Attach an emergency sheet to your child's clothes. Some people like a little package that can get buttoned inside a pocket. In this little plastic sealed envelope is the child's name and emergency contact info, like a phone number. Tell your child that if ever anything happens, like an accident or if she gets lost, the little package is her ticket home. Every year kids are brought into ERs and no one knows who they are. Hours go by until a call eventually comes in to check to see if a child has shown up. At 4 and 8, the kids are old enough to be stretproofed and you can practice the drill with them. If you practice long enough, the kid remembers. The police here may be inept and corrupt, but one thing they can do well is help a child in distress. No matter how drunk or abusive the cop, he'll make time for a lost child. Help him by providing the means for someone to call you.

as far as 'germs' adn things; if u are an hysterical super clean city type, your kids might have a bit more problems witht the 'less clean' style of dish washing (cold water in basin then rinse), the toilet set up (water washing, need to wash hands with soap), etc. however, if your kids are country kids, used to being out and about, falling down and getting up, not too prone to illness at home, i dont htink that is the main problem.

stick to real, european or really closed bottles of water (my daughter was with me in issaan, and she got the more expensive water, i drank what the thais did).

use mossie cream at all times./sleep with mosquito screens. / have updated tetanus shots/ bring any meds they might need (u can get most stuff in thailand but better to use stuff u know the brand and dosage of )/ bring foods that they will like/famiiar with, as sometimes kids like to eat familiar stuff even when on an adventure (my daughter was much older but still, she brought peanutbutter, chocolate spread, and the israeli version of instant soup and noodles stuff as she hates spicey food,and is vegetarian. its sort of like 'comfort food'. btw, my kids did this when they went to america as well.

get them used to eating rice and other thai dishes ahead of time so u know what some of their thai faves are. prevents tired hungry kids not knowing what they want to eat. also helps get their stomachs kind of in synch with the rice vx bread switchover.

explain about thai loos vx western loos, so that u have them a bit prepared (girls always have a problme with this in the beginning)-- i prepared my duaghter and it did help when we were in areas witht the thai style only loo.

thais love kids, but as others have pointed out, they have zero safety sense compared to the states and most likely australia as well (car safety, seat belt safety not to mention motorcyc safety... open fire, matche, chemicals etc left laying around, apartments up high with non barred windows, and steep stairs with no safety rails or incompletely built... its very israeli actually... see it all as a more challenging play park-- u have to check out the house, play area, shcool yard for possible dangers and then let your kids know that YOUR rules are 1,2.3 even if the thai kids are climbing in the trees or pulling the mangy dog's ears.

bring some favorite toys but be very aware, thais seem to have a different sense of 'private vs for everyone'... if your kids are possessive of a fave teddybear leave it at home, cause it might be 'borrowed' permanantly. also it seems to me from what i saw of my nieces/nephews and also friends' kdis, they dont take care of 'things' as much. things get played with, tossed aside, broken, drawn on .

thais have a smaller sense of personal space then westerners and probably most definately australians... and thais dont like to leave people alone. so if your kids need 'down time' , make sure u enforce it or u will have people coming and out, kids coming in and out, to see your kids, even if they are asleep or want to be alone. my duaghter was 18! when she came with me, but that was the most difficult part. she would go to a room to read or listen to mp3, and suddenly a million worried adults were bugging her.

thais like to feed kids. regardless if it is age appropriate or what you feel is good for your kids. either go with the flow or be prepared to spend time policing.

the main reason i didnt bring my younger daughter with me on same trip was 1. my ex had the same reactions as your daughter's father and therefore refused premission to let her out of country,naming pedophilia, drunkards, etc as if we dont have that here and 2. she is actively asthmatic and i felt that where we were going (way up country out in the boondocks) it could be problemtaic both because of the sleeping/living conditions at my thai husband's family house and the relative distance and lack of real transport if i needed to get her to an ER. i could have organized a battery powered inhalation machine but if something were to happen, i would have had serious problems with my ex. now im sorry i gave in to him.

nong khai is a large town (i feel it is a city to me), u can buy most stuff in major stores including stuff that your kids will recognize if and when they dont want 'thai' food or snacks.

have them bring some small 'gifts' to give away, and prepare them they might not get any in return (erasers, pencils, caps, small things), teach them how to wei (they can wei anyone they want without feeling stupid as thai will always make kids wei to all adults anyhow so it will buy u some brownie points). they will learn some thai faster than u for sure.

oh, bring them some cds'or dvds or mp 3 (whatever kids listen to) with their music for some escape time. dont forget if u are living in someone elses house, for some kids it is more difficult.

probably wrote too much info that isnt even relavant. use what u need, disregard the rest.

i think it is a great thing, dont expect your kids to get the same kind of cultural experience as u will, they are kids and they see things differently (more practically, less philosophically )..

bina

israel

forgot to add: im not hysterical about eating from road side vendors, or anything else. unless your kids have immune problems or get sick easily, they are usually pretty hardy, more so then us sinc ethey still play in the dirt and dont always wash their hands even at home.

To the OP: I think your original question is a reasonable one, but I sense the bigger question is -- are YOU ready for the third world. And my hunch is -- no.

Having been a teacher and school principal in the west for 33 years, I have to tell you that western parents are often waaaaay overly protective. When I hear someone say that with children you have to be constantly vigilant, that sets up the radar for me. Of course, the degree of vigilance varies with age.

And yes, you have to be more vigilant...than in the States, for example.

Years ago when I was still taking nearly annual vacations here (rather than living here, as I do now), my best friend said he thought he would come with me to Thailand the following summer. I refused him. He was a fanatic about cleanliness and odors and so forth. He would have hated it here. And I would have hated babysitting an adult that would be suffering in the situation.

So the question is -- can you balance an appropriate degree of vigilance with the need to relax on a vacation? I doubt it. Reconsider your plans.

Only yesterday I was in Tesco in N.Khai and witnessed a family of four having difficulties and the parents not knowing where or what their 2 children were up to ( doing )

The little girl wasn,t to far away and they managed to locate her.

I thought oh well at least it will be act as a possible wanring re keeping an eye on her.

I continued walking round the store from the fresh veg. area and was passing the far end of the sweets aisles some way from there.

A young boy came out of one of them with something in his hand and was obviously lost,confused and looking for his family.

Fortunately I noticed the female adult coming towards were he was and just left it at that.

I wanted to say in a friendly way, you must keep an eye on them at all times but decided not to.

Sadly and without meaning to be critical of Thai culture and many parents there is a problem re their laid back way with children, along with the Mai Pen Rai until something serious happens, and the children are often in a dangerous situation.

The geographical area of N.Khai and possible abduction of children from across the border could / can be a real threat should anyone take a liking to whoever and slip across the Mekong without detection.

Just do what any sensible parent would when in a foreign country and keep them within your sight at all times and hold their hands when out and about.

Be aware also that pavements and so called ped. crossings are usually seen as a right of way to traffic and do not assume all is safe and O.K. to use on foot.

Pedestrians on the whole do not have the right of way in many / most cases.

marshbags :)

P.S.

I think the poster who refers to taking the kids out of the country is assuming the father is not accompanying you.

If this is the case, I as a father would not give anyone permission to take my children to a foreign land and knowing the reputation of Thailand as it is perceived back home, most certainly not.

Out of interest, aren,t they supposed to be in school in February ot does Australia have holidays at this time.????

Edited by marshbags

if your daughter's father is uneasy with her going to thailand, tell him to take care of her for this time and he will stop objecting. I would think he is being an as*hole, to make your and your partner's live more difficult.

thousands of farang kids stay in thailand on a permanent basis and many more come for extended holidays, some resorts are family orientated (you can show him any travel broshure).

in bangkok I often host families with small kids from all over the world, never ever they had any problems, even if they stay for many months.

you have your partner with you to share responsibilities, as well as a protection from the host teacher and from the others in the kindegarden, you should take it very easy

if your daughter's father is uneasy with her going to thailand, tell him to take care of her for this time and he will stop objecting. I would think he is being an as*hole, to make your and your partner's live more difficult.

thousands of farang kids stay in thailand on a permanent basis and many more come for extended holidays, some resorts are family orientated (you can show him any travel broshure).

in bangkok I often host families with small kids from all over the world, never ever they had any problems, even if they stay for many months.

you have your partner with you to share responsibilities, as well as a protection from the host teacher and from the others in the kindegarden, you should take it very easy

Sorry LT but............................. " I would think " you say. Hmmmmmm, and you unjustly reckon he is an a / hole for making their lives more difficult do you..

:) pardon me !!!

You only know what an annonymous member has posted and do not know in anyway what the circumstances are, nor appreciate the fathers understandable concern for his children or indeed how much he was consulted on whatever is happening ect. ect.

Let us remember there are 2 sides to every story to consider.

Her partner ( based on your observations ) is not the childrens father and should not be assumed to be suitable or indeed able to act in the sole interests of the children.

IHO as the father.

Let me repeat myself here and say that if I as my daughters father was in a similar scenarion, I would also object to her being brought to an unknown and questionably unsafe place, which in this particular scenario is Thailand.

The fact that she will be among certain professionals means nothing in terms of him being re assured of their safety.

How on earth can you expect this to be ?????

Professionals = Strangers in this case as that,s exactly what they are to him.

In this particular post you appear to be out of touch in regards to parenting and responsibilites and to comment in the way you have is beyond belief without knowing the real story from both parents.

IMHO that is.

Because you say you know how safe it is, it does not make it O.K. to the father back home in Australia.

I have no objection to someone asking about safety ect. but the personal stuff should remain as it should be........personal between the parents.

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Whilst there are many dangers here that have been virtually erased or do not exist in the West, the number 1 danger for adults and kids is traffic accidents. This is your top danger whether your children are passengers or pedestrians.

I arrived here 4 months ago with my son, age 3.5. We live in BKK, but have made plenty of provincial excursions (albeit not to Nong Khai).

He is 1/2 Thai, looks Thai, but spoke very little Thai. We enrolled him in a local school (where he is the only non native Thai) to learn the culture.

He has adapted well.

I agree with many that traffic related accidents are of the most concern. Seat belts can be nonexistant. Motorbikes are a major mode of transportation, especially when transporting kids to school. Either be prepared to let your kid ride, or have a backup plan.

There is no "child proofing" of houses in Thailand, either. Be aware. That being said, I think I have cracked my head more than once on low door ways.

Thais may seem lax about some aspects of child care, but i sometimes think Thais are a bit too protective, as well. Thais will not let their kids play in the rain, go out in the sun, play in the fog or even walk more than 5 minutes - something that I remember fondly of doing when I was a child.

Disease is a reality, but there are doctors here. Physical safety is your main concern.

Thais enjoy life, your kids will have a blast here.

Thai people love children. As long as you keep them away from the insane traffic they are safer here than in Australia.

Don't believe scare stories.

:)

DO believe scare stories about the danger of electrocution, gaping holes in the street and deadly street traffic. Kids plummeted through faulty hotel balcony railings and were sucked underwater at a waterpark, to their deaths here in 2009- be vigilant! There is little regard for safety here and the danger is real.

Edited by JatujakShopper

I arrived here 4 months ago with my son, age 3.5. We live in BKK, but have made plenty of provincial excursions (albeit not to Nong Khai).

He is 1/2 Thai, looks Thai, but spoke very little Thai. We enrolled him in a local school (where he is the only non native Thai) to learn the culture.

He has adapted well.

I agree with many that traffic related accidents are of the most concern. Seat belts can be nonexistant. Motorbikes are a major mode of transportation, especially when transporting kids to school. Either be prepared to let your kid ride, or have a backup plan.

There is no "child proofing" of houses in Thailand, either. Be aware. That being said, I think I have cracked my head more than once on low door ways.

Thais may seem lax about some aspects of child care, but i sometimes think Thais are a bit too protective, as well. Thais will not let their kids play in the rain, go out in the sun, play in the fog or even walk more than 5 minutes - something that I remember fondly of doing when I was a child.

Disease is a reality, but there are doctors here. Physical safety is your main concern.

Thais enjoy life, your kids will have a blast here.

Good points but do you have fog where you live????.If so is this pollution that will give them lung problems in years to come.

True, true, true! Though Thais are great one of the huge disadvantages here is the complete lack of safety displayed time and time again even with children. The government fails time and time again to improve standards in this area in nearly all areas. :D Many Thais still believe that Buddha will protect, understandably and in this regard sometimes fail to apply what others may consider common-sense. Education in safety across all fields needs massive improvement but as this still a developing country and recently listed NIC one must deal with this disadvantage of living here. 'friendineed' I believe is correct in this regard. YOU MUST be on your guard re safety in this region. In time it may improve but it is still developing at this stage! :)

I would never let someone take my child into a third world country without coming along. Shame on you!

Thailand is not really a third world country! Sorry but I have traveled the world and this is far from what one would consider "third world". Most definitions have moved away from this idea now anyway. LDC (Less Developed Country) is more common to use now or NIC (Newly Industrialized country). Thailand is actually classified by UN standards as an NIC and I have no problems in saying that I feel a LOT safer here in regards to crime than I would in London or certain areas in Australian capitals or the US. Thais in general have a great disposition especially with kids and I for one WON'T be returning to the "developed world". True though there are many safety issues regards OH&S but in other areas definitely would NOT call Thailand "third world" as in regard to what most people consider "third world". Believe me there is way way worse out there than this place. :)

Phom Rak Brathet Thailand!

I spent several days in Nong Khai three years ago. I found the town to be very laid back, the air cleaner, less humidity, and the temperature milder than Bangkok which was a relief. I don't know what time of year you are going, Nov-Feb are lower temperature and much less rain. The town has all the modern convieniences, but still comes across as a authentic Thai town.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Nong_Khai

Chances are you will not be around a lot of English language TV programs so you might stock up on some of your kids favorite movies at Half Price Book store before you go. You can leave them with your host family.

If you bring along one of the netbook PCs ($200-$300) with a DVD-ROM you can play back a DVD and use it in an internet coffeeshop to check your emails. I don't like to use the coffeeshop PCs, they don't always have good anti-virus software. Make sure the power supply is 110-240 and pick up a converter for the different power jack a lot of Thai places use.

Consider picking up a digital camera with a movie mode for your kids. They might get into seeing new sites and at night can show off their photos on the netbook PC and send them home.

Check with your health insurance company. Not all offer international coverage. You can purchase extra insurance while you are gone, including emergency trips back home to USA.

Go go go!