Five Popular Thai Methoods To Save Fuel

george

Five popular methods young motorists prefer to save fuel

BANGKOK: -- Young motorists in the city prefer to save fuel by filling octane petrol that matches car engines and driving cars with a speed of no more than 90 km/hour, according to a survey by the Energy Policy and Planning Office.

Such behaviors are part of the five popular methods the young motorists in Bangkok opt to adopt to conserve the fuel consumption.

The other three are attempting not to overload their cars, making a plan before traveling, and switching off engines while parking.

A survey also found male and female motorists opt to save fuel in a different way.

The female motorists prefer to filling octane fuel that matches engines and driving a car with a not-too-high speed to save oil consumption.

But the male motorists place an emphasis on engines. They prefer to conserve fuel consumption by taking care of the engines such as regular checking of the vehicle condition, tire blow, and filter.

--TNA 2005-04-26

Someone should invent an air-con system that works off battery, then people can kill the engine at the traffic lights and still have some air-con while the copper in the police box wakes up to change the lights.

Edited by terdsak_12

Five popular methods young motorists prefer to save fuel 

BANGKOK: -- Young motorists in the city prefer to save fuel by filling octane petrol that matches car engines and driving cars with a speed of no more than 90 km/hour, according to a survey by the Energy Policy and Planning Office.

Such behaviors are part of the five popular methods the young motorists in Bangkok opt to adopt to conserve the fuel consumption.

The other three are attempting not to overload their cars, making a plan before traveling, and switching off engines while parking.

A survey also found male and female motorists opt to save fuel in a different way.

The female motorists prefer to filling octane fuel that matches engines and driving a car with a not-too-high speed to save oil consumption.

But the male motorists place an emphasis on engines. They prefer to conserve fuel consumption by taking care of the engines such as regular checking of the vehicle condition, tire blow, and filter.

--TNA 2005-04-26

:o should this one not be in the jokes forum? :D:D

Someone should invent an air-con system that works off battery, then people can kill the engine at the traffic lights and still have some air-con while the copper in the police box wakes up to change the lights.

Starting the engine generally uses more fuel than idling at the lights as far as I am aware terdsak, can anyone confirm?

Starting the engine generally uses more fuel than idling at the lights as far as I am aware terdsak, can anyone confirm?

I have always heard told that if waiting for more than one minute, it's more economical to shut off and restart an engine but I don't know whether there is any real science backing up that tale.

Both Honda and Toyota have models available overseas, and maybe in Thailand too (not sure) that do basically what you suggest.

The so called hybrid cars charge their batteries using braking power and downhill runs, and whenever possible they shut down the petrol engine and run using their electric engines on stored battery power.

Typically they can achieve figures between 4.5 and 5.5 litres of fuel per hundred kilometres as opposed to say around 8 or 9 litres per hundred kilometres for a conventional car around a 1.8L to 2L motor.

When I was in Sydney a month or so ago, these cars were selling from about AUD34,000 for the Honda Civic hybrid up to about AUD40,000 for the Toyota "Prius".

Starting a COLD engine does use a lot of fuel, but one that has reached working

temperature not. As soon as the engine has reached its working temperature you can

turn it off at a traffic light. It will save you fuel if the light is red for at least twenty

seconds.

I wonder why nobody does this in Bangkok, especially as most traffic lights have a

display that clearly shows you for how long you have to wait. When I first saw this I

thought that it was intended for saving fuel.

Ppl don't turn engines off, even if they have to wait for 15 minutes at a junction.

Buses and trucks that have no AC don't do it too, why?

I have seen ppl parking their cars, leaving the engines running, going somewhere,

returning 15 minutes later to continue their jouney.

Ppl here don't safe any petrol at all, it seems more like they try very hard to waste it.

At the same time all are complaining about high petrol prices.

:o