Jewish Bakery Or Deli In Pattaya?

Hobgoblin

Hi,

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any Jewish bakery or deli located in Pattaya somewhere.

I'm mainly looking for someplace to buy rye bread and bagels... I've looked all over for rye bread, but have come up empty.

Thanks!

Mazel tov with that one!

You probably already know that you can get bagels that aren't really bagels (well, they got the shape kinda right) at Au Bon Pain in Royal Garden Plaza.

I have never seen rye bread in town and would be surprised to find it, but I have seen dark breads (Scandanavian and German) around, and that might be the closest you will get. Anyway, what good is rye bread without pastrami or corned beef?

In 2006 Pattaya will be getting a real deli like a lower East Side's Katz's deli or a Midtowns' Carnegie or Stage delis.The menu will include bagels made from dough imported from Manhattan along with bialys,hot pastrami and corned beef in overstuffed rye bread sandwiches with sliced sweet onions and Dijon mustard,potato knishes and pancakes,cream cheese,Nova lox,whitefish salad,creamed herring,and 2 pound salamis hanging over the counter.

In the latter half of 2005 the first deli in Bangkok shall open.All are invited to the grand opening with free fried potato skins and root beer floats for all!

In 2006 Pattaya will be getting a real deli like a lower East Side's Katz's deli or a Midtowns' Carnegie or Stage delis.The menu will include bagels made from dough imported from Manhattan along with bialys,hot pastrami and corned beef in overstuffed rye bread sandwiches with sliced sweet onions and Dijon mustard,potato knishes and pancakes,cream cheese,Nova lox,whitefish salad,creamed herring,and 2 pound salamis hanging over the counter.

In the latter half of 2005 the first deli in Bangkok shall open.All are invited to the grand opening with free fried potato skins and root beer floats for all!

I'd give my left nut for a good corned beef on rye with brown mustard...

For our British readers the 'corned beef' mentioned by the septics is what is known as 'salt beef' in civilised places. Not the terrible tinned minced garbage that is known as corned beef in God's own country.

What about decent roll-mops?

As a child I used to pick them out of one barrel, heimische cucumbers out of another, wrap them in soft rolls and off to school.

And a chollah for Friday night ......

Are you joshing us?

I hope not.

I have always thought Pattaya is kind of like Miami Beach on tainted steroids, so I think a good Jewish deli would be a huge hit and of interest to most all nationalities. Good food is good food.

And the Russians should indeed love it too, as Jewish cuisine is a variation on eastern European food.

So how about some matzo ball soup and New York cheesecake?

This could become the new trendy way to off yourself in Pattaya, more fun than jumping, have a large pastrami sandwich followed by a slice of New York cheeseback, and you might not have a heart attack on the spot, but you're getting there ...

This sounds like another failure waiting to happen. Importing US bagel dough - somehow I cant see that happening but I wait to be convinced. Sounds like a Subway franchise in disguise where they plead their chicken roll REALLY does cost four times the going rate in Thailand for freshly cooked chicken breast meat from a real (not processed) chicken, yet they fail to understand that real chicken tastes better than processed muck dished up in Subway soggy sandwiches. Why is it beyond somebodies commerical accumen to actually sell something made of local produce in a western style at a reasonable price. Its not rocket science really.

Edited by Digger

This sounds like another failure waiting to happen. Importing US bagel dough - somehow I cant see that happening but I wait to be convinced. Sounds like a Subway franchise in disguise where they plead their chicken roll REALLY does cost four times the going rate in Thailand for freshly cooked chicken breast meat from a real (not processed) chicken, yet they fail to understand that real chicken tastes better than processed muck dished up in Subway soggy sandwiches. Why is it beyond somebodies commerical accumen to actually sell something made of local produce in a western style at a reasonable price. Its not rocket science really.

I think this post is a tad off.

Again, assuming this deli is really going to happen, comparing a deli modeled after the famous New York delis and Subway is like comparing a great steak house with McDonalds. Different class and concept. I am no defender of Subway or McDonalds, but if someone can offer a deli in Thailand that is even half as good as the famous New York delis mentioned, they would have a big winner.

Of course, who can argue against using good local ingredients when possible (though for a branded chain like Subway, their fans probably expect the standard stuff they are used to), but how many Jewish deli ingredients are really available here, such as good corned beef and pastrami? Actually, the bagel dough idea sounds like a good idea to me. Many people think the reason New York bagels and Montreal bagels (my personal favorite) are the best is because of the local water, kind of like wine, where it comes from does affect the taste.

There is a good point about price though. I think a local quality deli could even support prices at or near New York prices, but not much more.

I'll believe it when i see it. Remember in order for any bussiness to succeed, you must have something that attracts Thais. You can't succeed with farrangs alone.

Good point, but there are really are exceptions to that rule, especially in Pattaya.

How many Thais would you see at a Russian restaurant in Pattaya?

At most of the go gos in Pattaya?

And don't discount the factor of hosted Thais at this maybe fictional deli.

I agree there is little in Thai culture that would suggest a need for smoked whitefish!

Norman,

\ I agree with you 100% on the bars. I realy hope I am wrong. I can taste that lox and bagel now.

Hey, its not Nova, but you can get decent Norweigan smoked salmon lots of places around town, and also cream cheese, and after all a bagel is just bread (what sacrilige), so you can get sort of close even now. Throw in some tomatos, sliced onions and capers if you are so inclined.

I think this post is a tad off.

Again, assuming this deli is really going to happen, comparing a deli modeled after the famous New York delis and Subway is like comparing a great steak house with McDonalds. Different class and concept. I am no defender of Subway or McDonalds, but if someone can offer a deli in Thailand that is even half as good as the famous New York delis mentioned, they would have a big winner.

Of course, who can argue against using good local ingredients when possible (though for a branded chain like Subway, their fans probably expect the standard stuff they are used to), but how many Jewish deli ingredients are really available here, such as good corned beef and pastrami? Actually, the bagel dough idea sounds like a good idea to me. Many people think the reason New York bagels and Montreal bagels (my personal favorite) are the best is because of the local water, kind of like wine, where it comes from does affect the taste.

There is a good point about price though. I think a local quality deli could even support prices at or near New York prices, but not much more.

OK so I was being a bit sarcastic when I wrote that but to your point, price of the product is key. You might do just about OK at NYC prices, but you could really clean up by offering similar products at 25% of the NYC prices. I would imagine that its all about throughput in that kind of business. They need to generate the volume to jusitfy the import of so many products and or mixing with local ingrediants as much as they can. Basically, you do not need to import chicken from the USA, but might have to import corned beef. However if your able to sell hundreds of corned beef sandwiches in a day, you can then have the product made locally and your costs tumble.

I like Greek deli's much better...better salads, great asortment of cheese, olives, stuffed grape leaves......and no Suicide Bombers standing in line to blow up the "Jewish Deli"

Hey, apples and oranges, but I could go for some hot Greek too (no snide comments, Boon Mee).

As far as suicide bombers, well, think what that would do for the TAKEOUT side of the business!

As a famous as campaign once said:

you don't have to Jewish to like ... (whatever the food was, don't remember)

This has to be a ruse.....I have to admit that is all sounds very good. I grew up in New York City and an jewish to boot. I will be living yr/round in Pattaya within 6 months and the thought of good deli is very comforting. 

Eric

Well, sounds like it could be a ruse to me also, but you really have to wonder what would be the motivation to make up such a far fetched story.

The only one I can think of is someone scoping out the market demand for such a venture.

• 10 months later...

Pattaya already supports two Starbucks - not to mention countless knock-offs, 94c, Grand Canyon etc. - selling coffee at 100 baht per cup or more so why not a Deli. But where? Please not Royal Garden - it's the most inconvenient shopping area in town.

I'll believe it when i see it. Remember in order for any bussiness to succeed, you must have something that attracts Thais. You can't succeed with farrangs alone.

With all due respect Sir, I would question that statement, can think of a good few propriators making a handsom living catering to Falang, :D can think of a lot more that arn't though! :o

Pattaya already supports two Starbucks - not to mention countless knock-offs, 94c, Grand Canyon etc. - selling coffee at 100 baht per cup or more so why not a Deli. But where? Please not Royal Garden - it's the most inconvenient shopping area in town.

Correct, but upper class Thais purchase from Starbucks, and 94C coffee. They also eat Subway, and Pizza. But I would be surprised if a Thai would be eating a corned beef on rye.

Barry

OK, it's 2006 now.

Where's my steamed smoked meat sandwich on rye with mustard and pickle on the side?

Still haven't found rye bread or bagels.