Man Had 50 Maggots In Ear

george

Man had 50 maggots in ear

PHUKET: -- Thai doctors removed 50 maggots from a 84-year-old man's ears who had sought treatment for extreme itchiness in the orifices, media reports said on Wednesday.

Anan Temtan checked in to Vachira Phuket Hospital, 660km south of Bangkok, on Tuesday, complaining of growing itchiness in his ears that could not be cured with cotton buds.

Upon inspection, doctors discovered about 50 fly larvae in the octogenarian's ears, which they removed with tweezers and suction instruments, said The Nation newspaper.

"We believe flies might have gone inside his ears to lay eggs which hatched into larvae, causing the itching," opined Doctor Somsack Nonthasri.

Anan's granddaughter said her grandfather had helped clean up a neighbourhood marketplace four days prior to his ear infestation.

--DPA 2005-04-27

Just to make your breakfast more apetizing try this.

They are using maggots and leeches in hospitals in the U.K. leeches to draw blood so there won't be excessive bruising and swelling after surgery and maggots to eat diseased and dead flesh as when old ladies get ulcers on their legs so the wound will respond to treatment better.

Enjoy!

Just to make your breakfast more apetizing try this.

They are using maggots and leeches in hospitals in the U.K. leeches to draw blood so there won't be excessive bruising and swelling after surgery and maggots to eat diseased and dead flesh as when old ladies get ulcers on their legs so the wound will respond to treatment better.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that appetising contribution Maerim. I'll skip brekkie :o

It's actually true that maggots will only eat decaying or dead flesh. They are being used in hospitals more and more for the treatment of infected wounds that will not heal and respond to antibiotics. They will not touch healthy flesh either. They are specifically "grown" in a hygienic environment for this purpose.

Enjoy your lunch :o

If you stare cross-eyed for too long, your eyes may get stuck.

If you swim within one hour of eating, you may get cramps.

Pizzerias sometimes use rat meat instead of canned ham.

Dr Pat Pong is really a doctor.

Bamboo larvae are yummy.

Bamboo larvae aren't THAT bad, are they? Fried is much better than dry roasted. I once heard someone describe them as 'they tast like hot pus'. I, for one, would not know! :o

my ex went to hospital a few years ago when his eye swelled up (he was then working the cotton fields/veggies in the fall with lots of wind).... they pulled lots of little larvae out of his corner of his eye GROSS ME OUT and its fairly common among farmers : its a CERTAIN fly that lays eggs in orifices (sheep's noses, horses' anus, etc....(BOT FLY MAYBE) ) and my vet told me that soldiers in army sometimes get them in: THEIR MOUTH (GUMS) while sleeping field style (outdoor exercises) YUCK YUCK YUCK (even though i actually raise fly larvae for lizards to eat.... BLECH BLECH BLECH.....

Same thing happened to a friend of mine when we were working in Libya (which the British Army called the 'Land of Flies' with good reason).

He reckons a fly flew into his eye for a fraction of a second - that evening he felt his eye swell up. Fortunately his wife was a nurse and rolled his eyelid back over a matchstick. Picked about twenty little maggots and eggs out of his eye with tweezers. Then flushed the eye with a lot of water.

(Stig & Ulla Andersson - if you ever read this)

If you are around livestock - esp. water buffalo - be creful of this happening.