Location Reminders ...cant Remember

kurushektra

Hi there Chiang Rai:

Your fabulous city is one I hope to get back to soon. Please help me out. I'm trying to find the name and address of that fab restaurant, Chinese style (?) that sets on a corner with a rounded wall completely open, across from a wonderful gift shop with two paintings by Tawan, the national painter who has Ban Damm, North of CR a little.

Next, I'm trying to find the name and location of that wonderful coffee shop, that seems to be a center of community life. Sets on a corner, with two or three other shops attached. Across from a church I think. Has a garden entrance that's inclosed and stairs leading to second floor. Great coffee from one hill tribe.... Doi.....

If anyone can help me with these, it would be great. Lost all my contacts in a fire. Cheers.

I know both places but I don't know the names of them. You're right, the coffee shop is across from a church. The restaurant you speak of also has a second floor where they serve but many people don't know about it. I'll get the info for you when I get out and about if someone else doesn't provide it before then. Might be a couple of days.

I see you have left Thailand. You writing a book?

Looks like you have several good answers already. I found some other info to add.

The restaurant is indeed the Muang Thong Restaurant. 889/1-2 Phaholyothin Road, Chiang Rai, 57000, Phone 053-711162 and 053-716511. It is located about 1/2 block away from the Wiang Inn, same side of the street and there is an "art" shop across the street. They have decent food but I don't eat there because they don't wash their water glasses with hot water and I get a whiff of the river with every drink.

The coffee shop is indeed the Doi Chaang Coffee and Art House. 542/2 Rattanakhet Road, Wiang Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Phone 053-752918. The shop is on the same street as the Wiang Inn but in the opposite direction as the restaurant, opposite side of the street and is about three blocks from the Wiang Inn. Not sure about the "center of community life" thing but it may well be the community center for the art folks here.

Good luck to you.

I have added both places on the Google Map for Chiang Rai that you can find in the Pinned topics.

There are more than 150 different marked places, restaurants, interesting places etc etc there.

That is why it can take a minute or two before the full map comes up.

:D:):D

Thanks so much for all your help. My vague memory. Doi Chang and Art Shop is indeed the place. Lovely to get the addresses.

I call Doi Chang the center of 'community life' because when I visited there I saw so many falangs sitting around. It was a chummy place.

As the the resto, I think that is the place. Willl have to check my map. Didn't know they had a second floor...

Washing glasses in warm water. Really Thailand is one of the cleanest places I've ever visited. I never had any problems with food poisoning etc. ( My only problem was in an Italian resto in Chiang Mai).

So folks, what is your favourite place to visit in CR?

Cheers from Canada.

Sorry, but I think there could be a little bit confusion here.

The place on the corner, opposite the First Church (1910?), serves Doi Chang coffee.

It's the old Esso gasoline station, later turned into a bookshop and after that in the

coffee place it is now (I don't know if they still do, but before the Chiangrai

Youth Orchestre performed there every Saturday).

I am afraid that you are thinking about the beautiful open coffee-shop, travel agency,

motorcycle rent, internet shop, bakery and 'snack- restaurant' (excellent, excellent, excellent!

Try the soups and the sandwiches) of Khun Tawann and Khun Taai.

'Fashion Space' or something similar it is called.

It has also a room for meetings and a second floor (hardly used).

It is about fifty meters further on the road, direction police station, direction Tree House Restaurant,

direction Swiss Delicatessen, direction Koh Loy. At starboard!

That's where several foreigners enjoy the nice ambience amidst design, quality and the spirit of

the place in general.

But if you remember it as Doi Chang you are right of course.

The only thing I can do is to advice you to try out the place fifty meters further, from which you

still can see the church at the opposite side of the road and if you so wish, enjoy it as a source

of inspiration.

Limbo :)

PS For skybluestrue

Khun Thawann, formerly one of the best rally car drivers of Thailand, his family name is Thor-angkoon.

Does it ring a bell?

To avoid other misunderstandings: the family name of the artist Thawann (Studied in Amsterdam in the sixties,

something you still can see the reflection of in his certain parts of his work) is Duchanee.

Picture by our good old Goski! post-6305-1263805396.jpg

Edited by Limbo

Sorry, but I think there could be a little bit confusion here.

The place on the corner, opposite the First Church (1910?), serves Doi Chang coffee.

It's the old Esso gasoline station, later turned into a bookshop and after that in the

coffee place it is now (I don't know if they still do, but before the Chiangrai

Youth Orchestre performed there every Saturday).

I am afraid that you are thinking about the beautiful open coffee-shop, travel agency,

motorcycle rent, internet shop, bakery and 'snack- restaurant' (excellent, excellent, excellent!

Try the soups and the sandwiches) of Khun Tawann and Khun Taai.

'Fashion Space' or something similar it is called.

It has also a room for meetings and a second floor (hardly used).

It is about fifty meters further on the road, direction police station, direction Tree House Restaurant,

direction Swiss Delicatessen, direction Koh Loy. At starboard!

That's where several foreigners enjoy the nice ambience amidst design, quality and the spirit of

the place in general.

Limbo :)

PS For skybluestrue

Khun Thawann, formerly one of the best rally car drivers of Thailand, his family name is Thor-angkoon.

Does it ring a bell?

Know the place well, next to the Greenwing dealership, called 'work@home' I think or very similar. Lovely sandwiches and a beautiful, very friendly Golden Retriever too. Saw a Subaru Impreza wrx there on my last visit, must be Khun Thawanna's new toy. But from the OP's initial description I think he was referring to Doi Chaang and not this place. Both worth a visit though!

Edited by skybluestu