Old Bike, Newer Bike, Automatic, Gears....

sbk

I have my eye on an older bike, a honda dream that looks to be in great condition. My husband thinks I should spend the money and go for a newer bike, "get one in good shape and you won't need to pay for repairs for a couple of years". I do like the automatics but want something reliable and hassle free.

If i go for an older honda dream in good nick will I be getting that (ok I know its got gears but I can live with that) or should I bite the financial bullet and get a new automatic?

You aren't appealing to my thrifty Scots background at all guys! :)

Keep up the opinions on old versus new, but for those who vote new and want to bite into my wallet, I understand Honda is the better bike (not interested in a Fino, cute but too often stolen) which Honda is best? I can drive gears but the automatic is so easy. I wouldn't say no to a cute bike but can live with utilitarian.

I personally would never own an automatic. It is my understanding they donot have a neutral. So if a time arises when you must rev the engine and not wish to go forwrad you must have the brake on well increasing the rpm. Also automaticas donot allow you to gear down to use the engine to help slow you down. All the thais I know willnot buy an automatic because they fear going downhill on one and losing control because the only way to stop the bike is with the brakes cannot down shift, they fear the bike will gain speed downhill and become uncontrolable.

I like the gears of dream or wave I also have my new phantom arriving the 15 of february they said it has to be built none in stock. Why not buy new dream?

Without doubt, buy new. My ex wife bought a very presentable second hand scooter, against my advice. I said buy new it is cheaper. She has done nothing but pay for repairs since buying it. It has now cost her more than 30% more than a brand new bike would have.

Gears- auto depends where u live. On the flat an auto is much easier to ride. The earlier post commentinhg on going downhill on brakes alone is a very valuable comment.

Where I am there are NO "new" geared bikes on the road...all auto. But I drive gears. In the end...its your choice. Up to u and your preferences, budget etc.

SBK,

If you live in BKK with lots of stop/go then an auto has merit otherwise no need to buy a new auto unless you want one. Waves last forever. If the price is right and it is in good condition it will be fine. Waves in one form or another nave been around since '69.

From an everyday use point of view however the new autos are more scooter-like so legs and shoes are protected slightly more from the elements. But if you don't like to ride in the rain or will not be wearing $200 shoes when riding it won't matter.

Sidenote: I did notice the otherday at the Honda dealer that the new "Wave" (which is called something else now) that they have changed the cylinderhead so now the exhaust comes out facing directly down.

I am not sure which bikes are out there that are "semi-automatic" anymore ... but they are a good compromise as they have no hand clutch. You can use the gears to slow you down, they have a Neutral 'gear' etc. I know there are several models still available.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older reasonably well maintained Wave at all. Do you know a mechanic nearby that you trust to give a bike a good looksee before paying for it?

jd

Cheers PS.

Local runs, hence finding the auto attractive. I don't mind the semi automatic with gears but no clutch, and yes, can even drive a real motorcycle with a clutch and all (actually took lessons in college as I was interested in buying a bike then but the chilly nights and rain put me off.)

Get the husband to buy you a Ducati 1198S & I will happily be your 'driver'. :D:) .....I promise not too many wheelies :D .

That aside, I would tend to lean towards a new bike because these are only little bikes and some of them get real hidings with little maintenace and whilst cost for repairs can be low here in Thailand, break downs always come at the worse time & can be very inconvienant.

I believe the autos use slightly more fuel than the manual bikes & a big consideration is the use of gasohol. Many motorcycles with Carburetors CANNOT use gasahol (it effects both the plastic parts inside & the seals). Of course Gasahol is cheaper than fuel/petrol (or GAS as you Americans call it). Fuel injected bikes can use gasohol, so perhaps you should look towards one of them.

Having said all of that, the old Honda Dreams & Waves are pretty much bullet proof & if your only talking about a few thousand baht, you can hardly go wrong but at least let someone with some bike knowledge run their eye over it (it might be the best looking piece of <deleted> on you island....if you know what i mean).

It wasnt an implied insult (Im trying to work out how you came to that :D ).

By saying it might be the best piece of crap on the island, I was simply trying to imply that the thrashed bike with newly painted plastic bits MAY NOT be your best option.

:D why are women so hard to communicate with? :):D:D:D:D