Free Visas For 2010 Said Tourism And Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa

dom samui

I came to Thailand many times and spent possibly over $100k in Thailand on holidays before I even realised you needed a visa for extended stays. My travel planner noticed one time that a planned itinerary would take us to 31 days and we simply cut one day out. A free visa would have been of no interest at all. When I came on much longer stays and had to obtain a visa, I was certainly not spending the amounts I had on short trips.

I do not see this attracting anyone and if someone is swayed by a saving of Bt1000, then what are they worth economically ? Nothing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minister added that the government's measures to assist tourism entrepreneurs affected by political turmoil would be continued this year, including admission fee reduction, free landing and parking fees, and free visas.
The visa waiver fee may not influence the decision of Small group / Big spenders / Experienced travellers - but does make a difference in how hard the travel agents in India/China etc. push the destination.

The visa waiver results in more margins/better priced packages - esp attractive to the the 1st time overseas traveller. In addition, in India and increasingly China a package tour / corporate incentive tour / wedding groups to Thailand is often priced much less than a domestic one - if you compare similar quality of hotel etc - with the cachet of it being overseas. For wedding/corporate groups etc from India - Thailand is on their shortlist since there are relatively few destinations that offer Visa on Arrival anyway - so this waiver seals the deal.

Eg. India/China - a family/group of 4 saves upto 8000THB with the visa on arrival - not trivial. Whether this is the group Thailand wants to attract is a different matter, since most first timers are looking to re-create a piece of their country on foreign soil. Nevertheless, they're tourists that spend here.

One downside of visa waiver is that you'll probably see an increase in travel agents that promote the NO COST trips to Thailand....relying on hustling the customers to buying overpriced stuff to offset the expenses.

What exactly is being waived/reduced? The initial post mentions "admission fee reduction" -- does that include free Visa on Arrival for those countries that are on the list of 21 countries, like India, China, Taiwan, etc?

I thought the current program, which was set to expire this spring, only waived the fee for Tourist Visas. Did/will it also affect the B1,000 fee for Visa on Arrival?

Let's face it it's the crappy exchange rate that's putting people off Thailand not 1900B for a visa. People who came here 2 years ago find themselves 20-30% worse off if they come now.

Not currently a problem for Aussies. :)

The EURO is still going strong too.

Remember, Great-Britain did not want to participate in the EURO.

Schengen same same.

I Just applied for my "free visa" at the Thai Embassy, Hull Uk. Since the free visa option has been in place the embassy has now introduced a £15 administration charge. Also you have to include a payment for the return of your passport by Royal Mail of £8. Royal Mail has a set fee for this of £4.95 so this in effect is a way to increase their revenue.

The free visa therefore costs £18. This is about the same as the charge for a border run from Krabi where i stay. The only benefit for someone staying a couple if months is the fact that they don't have to do a border run after 30 days.

This is not really something that will encourage someone in the UK to change their holiday destination to Thailand.

"Mr Chumpol on Thursday reported that the number of tourists last year exceeded the target of 14 million people"

Where were they?

Can anybody confirm these figures?

Continuation of "free" visa, can't see that would make much of a difference.

I also find the Tourist figure of 14,000,000 hard to believe,considering previous years have been 12,000,000

seems that Thailand is the only country exempt from problems caused by political unrest,with no knock on loss of revenue Hmmmmmmm!

I Just applied for my "free visa" at the Thai Embassy, Hull Uk. Since the free visa option has been in place the embassy has now introduced a £15 administration charge. Also you have to include a payment for the return of your passport by Royal Mail of £8. Royal Mail has a set fee for this of £4.95 so this in effect is a way to increase their revenue.

The free visa therefore costs £18. This is about the same as the charge for a border run from Krabi where i stay. The only benefit for someone staying a couple if months is the fact that they don't have to do a border run after 30 days.

This is not really something that will encourage someone in the UK to change their holiday destination to Thailand.

23 pounds.

I understand the total charge is not £18, it is not £23 either as you must pay £4.95 to send you passport to the Embassy, £15 for the admin fee and £8 to have them post it back. The total charge is £28. I was highlighting that the Embassy has not actually made the visa "free" as they try to portray. The "free visa" minus the actual cost of postage will cost £18.

I am not British, but I do know about the Hull Honorary Consulate. He gets his money from his customers, not the Thai government. to take full advantage of the free Visa program, you have to obtain your Visa from a Thai consulate, not an Honorary Consulate.

Barry

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand

This is what I thought as well. I don't see the fact that the Visa is free convincing people to come to Thailand who otherwise would have gone somewhere else. It is nice and I'm sure people get a nice surprise from it, but I highly doubt many are making it a significant factor in their decisions.

Maybe this in concert with the reduction to 15 days of the VOA is increasing the average stay in Thailand, which would be a good thing in the end...longer vacation here=more money spent.

Let's face it it's the crappy exchange rate that's putting people off Thailand not 1900B for a visa. People who came here 2 years ago find themselves 20-30% worse off if they come now.

I agree, some of the prices here in thailand i could buy cheaper in the u.k......

I'm sorry but a free 1,900 baht tourist visa wouldn't sway me to spend my 100,000 baht holiday money in Thailand, I would also think the big spenders are the people on the two week holidays (lot of money to spend in a short time) and they get a visa on arrival.

Whats stopping people coming is the uncertainty as to whether it will still be safe to come three months after they've booked their flight and hotel.

Kevc, you hit the nail on the head and your statement is right in the bull's eye. That's the real problem "the uncertainty from travellers for their security in the light of this continued threat from red shirts to go ahead with their silly rallies and creating political turmoil with the only goal to bring the Government down and Toxin back in power, no matter at what cost, even with bloodshed!"

And if the Government will go down, the yellow shirts will surely not accept a bandit like Toxin to come back in power... That would be a declaration of war against all who have the sense of rightness and respect to the country and its institutions.

and ther we go, again and again...

Meanwhile, the neighbours are growing stronger and stronger, offering much better prospects of fair treatment and charming holidays... Their future is bright!

I understand the total charge is not £18, it is not £23 either as you must pay £4.95 to send you passport to the Embassy, £15 for the admin fee and £8 to have them post it back. The total charge is £28. I was highlighting that the Embassy has not actually made the visa "free" as they try to portray. The "free visa" minus the actual cost of postage will cost £18.

minus postage 15 pounds

including postage 23 pounds

You dont pay the fee of 8 pounds to hull you send off with your passport a return addressed special delivery envelope....ie 2 special delivery at 4 pounds = 8 pounds + 15 admin charge = 23 pounds ok!

I am one of those that does not have 2 pay for Visa.

However I have changed my destinations. This FRiday no more Thailand, going Cambodia.

I love Thailand but I sent my third unanswered email,( I have also sent fax), to Thailand Immigration department 10 days ago. So much for Thai courtesy.

I spend a lot of time in Malaysia and used to go at least 3, sometimes 4 times a year up to Thailand. I like to stay 3 weeks as by the time you get there and travel around 21 days is nothing.

But as you all know if I come across the land border by coach or go to Sungai Goloc and get the train I am limited to 15 days. Arrive at an airport I get 30 days.

Again why? not border runner> Went across to Goloc the other day. He is malaysian. Just went to get car part, his stamped 30 mine 15. Were were 3 hours.

What their computer no good, or they think their borde staff is DISHONEST.

There was no one in Goloc.. But was in Bangkoh, Kwai in November.. No one around.. Shops closed everywhere.

Same last May.. But just checked some hotel sites charging mor for foreigners, bu that is par for the course.

Attraction Suphanburi 199 Thai..499 Farang.

Thailand get stuffed.

Not currently a problem for Aussies. :D

:D:):D :D :D :D

Went across to Goloc the other day. He is malaysian. Just went to get car part, his stamped 30 mine 15. Were were 3 hours.

The stamp you get depends on your nationality.

ASEAN nationals get a standard 30 days.

I do not believe for one moment that it will increase the number of tourists. The number of tourist will probably increase but that is because the financial crisis is coming to an end and people have more discretionary income. It is however to be expected that the Thai tourism minister will claim otherwise as it increases his standing. Be especially aware when statistical figures are used to underscore statements, statistics in Thailand are even more bogus than those of Greece.

Statistics the world over are bogus...does anyone really believe that unemployment is only 10% in the USA? It is very probably much nearer 17%. Add in all those people (around the world) who are fearful of losing their jobs, and you may have (in the US) an amount closer to 30% who are unable to indulge in any kind of tourism.

One thing we can be reasonably certain of: the Depression is not over...it is with us, through the ignorance of bankers and politicians (see also Japan), for a good decade if not much longer.

Also, don't blame the Thai government for a strong baht....that is entirely the fault of the British and American goveernments which have been merrily printing money like Zimbabwe in the last two years. The reckoning is not far down the road....

At least they are trying ............. a little bit anyways

You think tourism is bad now

Just wait until Tekki officially loses his money

Personally, I like the free tourist visas

and I don't mind have a couple meals

on the Laos side of the Mekong to get it

14 mill. tourists ....... not even close

How long can the Thai Consulate in Vientiane keep handing out hundreds of free tourist visas everyday? We thought it might return to normal when visa were no longer free. I even heard rumours from the visa agents there. I can't see it continuing the way it is.

Went across to Goloc the other day. He is malaysian. Just went to get car part, his stamped 30 mine 15. Were were 3 hours.

The stamp you get depends on your nationality.

ASEAN nationals get a standard 30 days.

ASEAN includes the Philippines and they only get 15 days too.