Aussie Killed In Phuket Truck Plunge

webfact

Older Land Rovers don't have a hand brake as most cars do, they have a transmission brake, which if were to be used whilst the vehicle is in motion, would not be safe (or sensible).

Are we sure it was a Land Rover? The media reports in Australia said it was a JEEP and it looked like a jeep in the photo I saw ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we sure it was a Land Rover? The media reports in Australia said it was a JEEP and it looked like a jeep in the photo I saw ?

I've only ever seen Siam Safari running around in Land Rovers, although they are often generically called a Jeep.

Both the Willy's Jeep and the Land Rover were used by the military and the name 'jeep' is often used for such vehicles.

Ive never seen Siam in anything but green Land Rovers. I've also seen them in what we called in the army a '1 tonner' which is a very very square Land Rover. Quite unusual looking. They were used for certain communication roles and as ambulances - and had a bit of a reputation for being unstable/top heavy. They werent well liked. I think Siam Safari also has one of these too though i'm not saying that was the type of vehicle that had this unfortunate accident.

post-8346-1263770520_thumb.jpg

Haven't read every post....why would one bother when one has had a similar close call (funnily enough in Phuket of all places. Astonishing coincidence is what I say).

happyinkathu has just got to be (1) a Thai, or (2) a 'my country right or wrong or kind of person' (translates to Thai persons can do no wrong).

I was in a minivan some years ago with several other European-type persons (on our way to Phuket airport), when the "driver" thought it might be a good idea to overtake just before the crest of a hill. Brilliant I thought, why not make the trip 3 seconds quicker. Nobody said a word, except moi. Moi being not only a somewhat sensible person with a great deal of driving experience, but endowed also with a modicum of intelligence, screamed at the Einstein at the wheel. Repeat...nobody else said a word. Must have been each and everyone of them Buddhists, no?

Or holiday-happy dunderheads. Dunno. A total mystery. I am honestly in total awe of the "blind faith" principle, which everywhere - not only in LOS - seems to exist. It can't surely have been low IQ where the tourists were concerned - all 6 or 7 of them. The "holiday zone" perhaps. Dunno. No idea.

But as for the driver...well, that was his job, his occupation, his living. <deleted> is all I can think. How had he survived to that point???

• 3 months later...
No seatbelts on these landrovers.

A seatbelt could have saved the young man's life.

I have been on this Siam Safari tour a couple of times, and all the land rovers I went in have seatbelts. Have you even been on the tour?

The person who died was the only one wearing the seatbelt. Read the information first!