From Non O B To 60 Day Tourist...can I Do It?

I am thinking of quitting my teaching job in March without a new job lined up but would like to stay on in Thailand as wife and kid here, both aliens;wife also a teacher but staying in job. If I do not renew current contract I would be looking for a new job. Current contract expires 31st March. As I understand it my current visa, Non-Imm B, will expire 7 days after contract expires. Can I head to Vientiane or KL and get a 60 day tourist visa? Return, find a job and then leave again and get a new Non-Imm B? Any advice gratefully received.

Non Imm B not O oops

Edited by gerryBScot

Are you on a 90 day visa entry? No expiration on end of job.

Or are you on an extension of stay from Immigration? Ends the day employment ends but you can pay for a 7 day extension of stay.

Yes you can obtain a tourist visa and apply for work permit on that and get a new B visa.

Yup Lopburi I am on 90 day visa extended for one year. Good to know that ends on the day the employment ends, and that I can extend it for seven days. Not sure yet but just exploring options and keen to keep on right side of immigration. Will the Thai authorities raise any questions on changing to a tourist visa after being in on a Non-Imm O for about 6 months and then a Non Imm B for a year? Many thanks if you know or have a view.

This is a bit of a hazy area for me as well.

I know if your wife has an extension of stay you can piggyback on it.

Your passport, her passport and I assume some kind of paperwork to prove your relationship.

What I do not know is if this would give you non immigrant status, if so would be very convenient for you as you can look for work at your leisure and if found, immediately can move forward on your work permit.

Look here.

Look at 2.20 in the criteria for extensions section towards the top.

And 2.20 in the documents section towards the bottom.

Thanks Lite Beer, that's really helpful. my reading is if we have the documentation, and we have it and in Thai cos we got married here, then I can get an extension as a spouse without having to demonstrate means. Maybe the reality might be little different, maybe they will want to know about means. But thanks very helpful and would save a visa run.