Tom Jones In Concert In Bangkok

webfact

I'm going to explain why I have no use for Mr. Jones. Don't take it personally. <snipped>

I never knew how much i disliked Mr Jones until i read that post from Mr geriatrickid and found myself agreeing with everything he said.

For a man with so little talent, can't deny though, he's done well for himself.

Enjoy the show guys.

Edited by rixalex

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Lord, another old timer!

Someone tell me why Thailand is unable to manage or attract a variety of musical artists to play here?

Even Indonesia does better that Thailand when it comes to at least attempting to put on quality and varied musical events.

We had tickets for The Stones in Bangkok. We turned up at Impact Arena but the Stones didn't. They cancelled because of SARS.

Our only chance to see them live. Great disappointment.

Tom Jones has a really powerful voice, loads of talent. Should be a good night.

Edited by BWPattaya

• 4 weeks later...
With the current political situation here in Thailand I am scared the concert will be canceled :)

Planning to fly from Phuket to BKK on the 18th.....

What do you think???

Gerd

Im travelling down on 18th too... hope it's not cancelled but I recon it's 50/50 as Tom's insurers may put pressure on

I guess a few more TV members are going to see Tom Jones, why not meet for a beer after......in case there's an after.

Gerd

Sounds a good idea... I have two tickets and plan to go with my girl (when I choose her) - serious beer sounds good before or after

I have seen him last time 4 years ago in London and he was still in great shape. Now, he must be the hardest working man in show business....

Must be hel_l getting laced up in corsets in this weather.Just hope for punters that its better than Whitney Houston's recent shambolic tour of Aus.

Why dont they just leave us with the memories

Good Lord, another old timer!

Someone tell me why Thailand is unable to manage or attract a variety of musical artists to play here?

Even Indonesia does better that Thailand when it comes to at least attempting to put on quality and varied musical events.

"Attracting" them has nothing to do with it. You pay the price they ask and they come - whoever they are. It is down to the promoter to decide which acts will sell tickets. Tried and true old acts tend to give the most reliable returns - people know what to expect and older people tend to have more money to spend on concert tickets.

lol funny to think that people would pay up to 4000 baht to see a Vegas hotel lobby bar singer :) and also you can get him to perform for free at CM² disco from time to time

Beats the public bar of a Welsh pub.

Sorry to disagree.

There's nothing more impressive in music (REAL music!) than the sudden and spontaneous harmonies of Welsh people starting to sing in pubs.

It's melodic, moving and magic.

And I say that as an Englishman, deeply involved in amateur singing all my life.

I just hope that the NOISE made by that Jones American-lobby-singer-person in Bangkok doesn't travel as far north as Chiang Mai.

I dunno - to watch a 69 year old man wiggle his butt on stage :)

tom jones?? the old fart is still alive?

if i really need me some jones i'll hit youtube. not spending hours watching a cardiac arrest just waiting to happen lol

The real Tom Jones

By ALEXANDER IRVINE

SPECIAL TO THE NATION

gallery_327_1086_89224.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Sunday night at Impact, the Welsh crooner will prove yet again he's still got it - and in fact it never went away

For a knight, Welsh sexpot Tom Jones is disarmingly modest in a chat ahead of his return to Bangkok for Sunday's concert at Impact Arena.

"Just call me Tom," says Sir Tom Jones. "I've been Tom for so long, you know."

He's also been singing for a long time.

"I've never known life without singing, really. It's always been there - and my voice has always been pretty big."

And in fact he says this in a big, deep voice, which still harbours that Welsh accent despite years of being based in America.

Landing in the global spot via American television at the tail end of the original British Invasion, Jones toted the influence of 50's rock and roll.

"Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry - that's the music I grew up with. It was the same with the Beatles and the Stones - it's just that they came out a different way to what I was doing.

"Van Morrison and Joe Cocker tell me the same thing. We were basically listening to the same stuff. It's just that when we do it we all sound different."

So is that the real Tom Jones we see onstage?

"Basically, yeah. I don't change much, I just get louder. I don't live at that pace every day, but the Tom Jones you see onstage is like an energy-addicted Tom Jones!"

Energy is conserved more as he gets older, but Jones learned about pacing a long time ago.

"I used to try and open the show with a big number and then try and up it from there, and it was all a bit frantic," he confesses.

Performing is hard work, but he still gets as much out of it as he ever did.

"I feel I enjoy it more now, but it's still a test singing songs like 'Delilah', for instance. You think. 'Wow, it's still coming out!'"

Does he keep in step with the recording and production technology?

"It's still you, a booth and the microphone at the end of the day," he says, and in the shows, "I don't use a lot of production, although we do have big screens now, which we never used to. But you need that so people can see you!"

Asked if he sees himself in any of today's artists, Jones acknowledges a tinge of his flair in Robbie Williams and "a bit of myself in the Kings of Leon".

"But singers should be different - you shouldn't copy other people."

Does that mean who shouldn't look forward to discovering "the next Tom Jones"?

"I don't think any one person is going to be the next me," he says.

Jones used to do two shows a night in theatres and music halls around Britain. "I do about 200 shows a year now, not a world tour every year, but I play all over America and Canada and do a British tour every so often.

"I don't come to this part of the world that much!"

As to keeping fit, Jones says he hits the gym whenever he's in LA - which he adds isn't that often - but, crucially, "My throat doctor says I'm just built right! I have strong vocal chords that just resonate."

Flirting with fame

A clue to Tom Jones' career priorities even when he was still an unknown emerged this week when the 1963 records of a labour exchange in his native south Wales were dusted off.

Officials recommended local lad Thomas Woodward, who'd sampled factory toil and then dumped it, for work that "wouldn't dirty his fingernails".

They decided his love of music was putting him off settling into a proper job, Agence France-Presse reports.

"It would seem that Mr Woodward's little hobby is highly lucrative and this would also account for his non-enthusiasm in securing employment."

The following year he was negotiating a record deal with Decca, but the labour officials were unimpressed: "He is still signing the [unemployment register] and not autograph books."

Jones is currently worth an estimated US$255 million. The labour records concerning him are alone expected to fetch thousands of pounds at an auction next month.

THE USUAL SET

- See Tom Jones at Impact Arena in Muang Thong Thani tomorrow at 7.

- Expect to hear "Green, Green Grass of Home", "It's Not Unusual" and "Sex Bomb" as well as "Delilah".

- He's touring with a 10-piece band and arrives here from Malaysia. After Bangkok he'll head to Hong Kong, Singapore, Manila and Seoul.

- Get a seat at www.ThaiTicketMajor.com

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I dunno - to watch a 69 year old man wiggle his butt on stage :)

tom jones?? the old fart is still alive?

if i really need me some jones i'll hit youtube. not spending hours watching a cardiac arrest just waiting to happen lol

I find these comments unbelievable - if you achieve half the life and success he has then you have done very well - like him or not - he has know and been friends with all the major stars of his day - packs out arenas globally and had loads of hit records.

He has made love to more women than you have had hot dinners, won more awards than you have CDs in your collection AND has lived (healthily) to nearly 70 whilst doing it all - and you (a non-descript newbie to our threads) call him an old fart?

Jeeze... you go and watch YouTube then and have fun living your life through the 'box' I'll go see a living legend.

post-2733-1269252196_thumb.jpg

Tom looks good! Go cat go!

P.s. no relation, but I had a dream last night where I was climbing a big steep rock (I often dream about rock climbing) - I got to the uppermost rim and a male lion approached and looked down at me. I descended a bit. When I came back up, the lion was straddling a buck which he had just killed. I descended a few steps again. The 3rd time I got to the rim, there was only a family of deer, frolicking around calmly.

Ok, all my farang buddies have split town, so I wanted to share that little story.......

lol funny to think that people would pay up to 4000 baht to see a Vegas hotel lobby bar singer :) and also you can get him to perform for free at CM² disco from time to time

Beats the public bar of a Welsh pub.

Sorry to disagree.

There's nothing more impressive in music (REAL music!) than the sudden and spontaneous harmonies of Welsh people starting to sing in pubs.

It's melodic, moving and magic.

And I say that as an Englishman, deeply involved in amateur singing all my life.

I just hope that the NOISE made by that Jones American-lobby-singer-person in Bangkok doesn't travel as far north as Chiang Mai.

I have worked with Welsh singers and even the bad ones are really, really good.

And they are ALL mad about singing from birth it seems.

He is fantastic, grew up with his music, but i do wish he would shave that ridiculous goatee, goatees are not cool

They probably were when he grew it....

And you likely were about 12 at the time.. LOL.

Actually for the 20 somethings, goatees have been in again for some time.

So he's actually got a goatee that has out lived the original trend so long

that a generation 50 years behind has re-adopted it... go figure LOL!