Blackberry In Bangkok

Wossnext

Sorry to all you fruit loving types but topic is about Blackberry phones :) . Just bought the Wife a new phone today [T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 Curve] sat at home trying it out but buggered if I can get it to work when I stick my DTAC SIM in it. Anybody know something about these phones, its all a bit Pete Tong to me. Boots up ok but soon as I put my sim in it just keeps spinning the little hands on the clock, much like the vista wheel of death! prey I have not got a dodgy phone, as for all Blackberrys here it is an import so not warrantied. I am sure the phone is fine but would appreciate some insider knowledge on getting it to work properly. I think I heard somewhere that you have to have a special Blackberry account, is this true, and if so who is the provider?

You said T-Mobile. Are you sure it's already unlocked? I believe the Blackberry is quad band so it should work anywhere in the world that has GSM. The Blackberry you have for sure is an import. True and AIS sell Blackberries as well and they should be warrantied. Your phone should have a warranty with the shop that you bought it at. As for how good is that warranty, I don't know. A family member of mine recently bought a Blackberry and took it to AIS to have them set it up. You might want to go back to the shop where you bought it and have them set it up for you or take it to True or AIS.

All you need to do is making sure that your phone is completely unlocked. After that, give DTAC a call and tell them that you want a BlackBerry plan. This is important as your BlackBerry will not be functional without a BlackBerry plan. (it will only work as a phone without the plan)

For unlimited access, all telcos in Thailand are charging 600 Baht a month.

All you need to do is making sure that your phone is completely unlocked. After that, give DTAC a call and tell them that you want a BlackBerry plan. This is important as your BlackBerry will not be functional without a BlackBerry plan. (it will only work as a phone without the plan)

For unlimited access, all telcos in Thailand are charging 600 Baht a month.

I'm confused, without a Black Berry plan it will only works as a phone, isn't that the whole point of it?

Brigante7.

Hi Wossnext - several aspects to this one.

The first, as already mentioned is that the phone itself might be "simlocked" - meaning that it has been programed to work only with a SIM from one particular network provider. But this only happens in Europe/USA with phones on a monthly contract, and as you bought this in BKK there should be no problem in this respect. It should be able to accept a SIM card and receive a signal from all the Thai service providers.

BUT - this is not true for the top-end Blackberry Storm - this is the exception. The 9500 is fine and is on the universal GSM standard. But I'm told that the updated 9550 cannot be used in Thailand as this is on a different standard.

The other aspect is that BBerries are different to other phones. They are not actually primarily designed for making telephone calls! The settings and configuration is such that unless you choose to subscribe to a "BIS" plan (Blackberry Internet Service) then there is no way to set them up to - for instance - send or receive email or MMS. Even WWW access is slow and limited.

Blackberries are designed to be tied to an account that allows them to constantly have your e-mails 'pushed' through to them where ever you happen to be - and that also goes for web browsing - constant fast Inet access (including being easily able to use them as a modem with a laptop)

Because of this there are several problems associated with owning a Blackberry.

Check the top of the screen. It should display a signal strength indicator and also the name of the network related to your SIM card. BUT if your SIM isn't recognised there will be a message such as "insert SIM" or similar. You should NOT get the "busy" indicator of the little clock all the time - only while it searches for a network. Then it should either find one or display a message as to why not.

PLUS the BBerry is one of the few phones that can have the "radio" (as they call it - the reception for a signal to a service provider) turned off. So check this by going to "OPTIONS" - "MOBILE NETWORK" and ensuring that "DATA SERVICES" is set to "ON" and the "NETWORK SELECTION MODE" is set to 'MANUAL". You should see a list of networks (AIS, True, DTAC etc). if not then your phone is probably simlocked to a service provider as already mentioned.

However I have discovered that having a BBerry that is NOT on one of the 'BIS' plans is very expensive - with AIS anyway. Every action (sending an SMS or checking he account balance) attracts a higher charge than usual. Every time I pick up the phone it seems that another 5 baht has gone. (As soon a an AIS SIM card is placed in the BBerry the phone is recognised as being 'different'.)

And having a BBerry tied to a BIS plan is even more expensive. AIS costs 700 baht a month (plus tax and VAT) making it almost 800 baht a month. For this you get unlimited internet access and push email but this doesn't include the cost of making phone calls. HOWEVER if you take it out of the country (like I did to Malaysia for a recent visa) then AIS "roams" everything forward to you - at vast expense - including service messages. (Coming across the border when my phone picked up the Malaysian networks and got sent welcome messages totally wiped my SIM balance of the 100 baht that was on it and sent my phone into a message loop that was perpetual - "your balance is insufficient" sent to me every 10 seconds by AIS ad infinitum so that I turned off the phone.)

There are different BBerry plans at different costs by AIS and DTAC and it IS fun at first to watch live TV, wander around YouTube and check your location with Google and Blackberry Maps. But I've now disabled all this and just use the phone for calls and SMS.

So - good luck to you and (her) Blackberry!

Rob

IMO the only benefit of a Blackberry is BBchat, but it's horribly anti-social.

That being said, I wonder how long it will take for them to allow Windows Mobile users to connect to the BBchat network. They already allow Iphone users to connect, so hopefully it won't be long. At that point, I'll be able to do the only Blackberry thing that my current smartphone (Asus 527) doesn't do.

My friend also raves about the pushmail capabilities, which I can do too, but I don't want to, partially for the reasons in Robsamui's post.

Anyway, I'd suggest you take the phone to MBK and get them to unlock it, or take it to where you bought it and say that it doesn't work, in a ploy to get them to unlock it for free. They should have sold it to you unlocked anyway, so it's only fair.

IMO the only benefit of a Blackberry is BBchat, but it's horribly anti-social.

That being said, I wonder how long it will take for them to allow Windows Mobile users to connect to the BBchat network. They already allow Iphone users to connect, so hopefully it won't be long. At that point, I'll be able to do the only Blackberry thing that my current smartphone (Asus 527) doesn't do.

My friend also raves about the pushmail capabilities, which I can do too, but I don't want to, partially for the reasons in Robsamui's post.

Anyway, I'd suggest you take the phone to MBK and get them to unlock it, or take it to where you bought it and say that it doesn't work, in a ploy to get them to unlock it for free. They should have sold it to you unlocked anyway, so it's only fair.

Only benefit is to chat? The thing is brilliant for work and personal use. All my email accounts come into it. I can accept and schedule meeting appointments which automatically update in my outlook calendar. If I don't want to receive emails I just turn the Edge off.

I pay about 850 baht a month including 200 sms, ample call time and unlimited EDGE from AIS.

Would not change it for any fancy Iphone so I can stand on the skytrain and watch videos.

But many other smart phones do those things as well. There is a gmail push application for windows mobile, and you can always sync with outlook if the files are correct. Personally I don't use my phone in that way, (if I need to check my email or anything else on the net, I just use the wifi capabilities on my phone for free in most places), so the ability to connect to the net through AIS, (my provider), is rarely used.

The GPS locator is cute, but I don't need to see where everyone is, and I'd rather not have everyone see where I am either. The GPS in my phone works great, and the Garmin maps I have in it have worked well here, in Europe, and in North America.

I pay around 400 Baht a month with AIS, which includes 200 sms, enough call time for me, and a package that lets me call one number for free as much as I want, you can guess whose number that is! :)

The unlimited "texting" done in BBchat would be useful for me to keep more constantly in touch with my colleagues and friends, but on the other hand it might not be such a good thing!

All the smartphones including the Iphone and Blackberry are good for watching videos, but I rarely do that either.

If the BB works for you, that's great! I just don't get the hype aside from it being the new "in" thing. I have to constantly assure my friends that my smartphone does everything I want, so I have no need to buy something new, (which in my mind is quite impressive considering that my phone is over 2 years old)

just out of interest - what phone do you have?

R

If the BB works for you, that's great! I just don't get the hype aside from it being the new "in" thing. I have to constantly assure my friends that my smartphone does everything I want, so I have no need to buy something new, (which in my mind is quite impressive considering that my phone is over 2 years old)

But many other smart phones do those things as well. There is a gmail push application for windows mobile, and you can always sync with outlook if the files are correct. Personally I don't use my phone in that way, (if I need to check my email or anything else on the net, I just use the wifi capabilities on my phone for free in most places), so the ability to connect to the net through AIS, (my provider), is rarely used.

The GPS locator is cute, but I don't need to see where everyone is, and I'd rather not have everyone see where I am either. The GPS in my phone works great, and the Garmin maps I have in it have worked well here, in Europe, and in North America.

I pay around 400 Baht a month with AIS, which includes 200 sms, enough call time for me, and a package that lets me call one number for free as much as I want, you can guess whose number that is! :)

The unlimited "texting" done in BBchat would be useful for me to keep more constantly in touch with my colleagues and friends, but on the other hand it might not be such a good thing!

All the smartphones including the Iphone and Blackberry are good for watching videos, but I rarely do that either.

Now now Merid, no need to get a case of Smartphone Envy mate. :D :D

For corporate users, the security that allows the compnay e-mail to be pushed to phone is probably the best feature. I know that as of now and for the past several years, BB's were the only mobile device that our IT dept allowed to access our company e-mail.

For the poster that mentioned wi-fi to check e-mail, that doesn't work too well riding down the expressway to Rayong. I can use my BB anywhere in the world to get my e-mail and as I get some 50-100 business e-mails a day but spend over 30% of my time away from my desk that is pretty important.

But I'm not sure why a person would have one except for business reasons.

TH

You said T-Mobile. Are you sure it's already unlocked? I believe the Blackberry is quad band so it should work anywhere in the world that has GSM. The Blackberry you have for sure is an import. True and AIS sell Blackberries as well and they should be warrantied. Your phone should have a warranty with the shop that you bought it at. As for how good is that warranty, I don't know. A family member of mine recently bought a Blackberry and took it to AIS to have them set it up. You might want to go back to the shop where you bought it and have them set it up for you or take it to True or AIS.

Hi, thanks for that. I bought this brand new in box at Mobile Direct (Central Pinklao), Yes it is an import from Mexico and will not be warrantied here unfortunately, it is definitely unlocked and now after spending 2 hrs at DTAC yesterday, they finally acertained that the simcard was shot! they supplied a new one and hey presto! it now works albeit with some minor gripes....cannot download any apps i.e. Maps (which are available for Thailand) keep getting an error I think it is related to BIS so maybe another trip to DTAC, who incidentally are very helpful considering they are only the service providers.

For corporate users, the security that allows the compnay e-mail to be pushed to phone is probably the best feature. I know that as of now and for the past several years, BB's were the only mobile device that our IT dept allowed to access our company e-mail.

For the poster that mentioned wi-fi to check e-mail, that doesn't work too well riding down the expressway to Rayong. I can use my BB anywhere in the world to get my e-mail and as I get some 50-100 business e-mails a day but spend over 30% of my time away from my desk that is pretty important.

But I'm not sure why a person would have one except for business reasons.

TH

Not quite sure what your last comment is all about? I mean they are great for emailing....Business or Personal, excellent Camera/Video,Music Player/Social Networking, very good call quality, Bluetooth, SD Card etc etc etc, why would you think only a corporate user could get good mileage out of a Blackberry. I sold my iPhone 3G for this and I am so very happy I did.

...But I'm not sure why a person would have one except for business reasons.

TH

Not quite sure what your last comment is all about? I mean they are great for emailing....Business or Personal, excellent Camera/Video,Music Player/Social Networking, very good call quality, Bluetooth, SD Card etc etc etc, why would you think only a corporate user could get good mileage out of a Blackberry. I sold my iPhone 3G for this and I am so very happy I did.

That was a suppose to be a question which I guess you answered. Last phone I had before the BB (can't remember model, but it was some very small Noika) had Camera/Video, Music Player, very good call quality, Bluetooth, and internet access to let me read gmail (which I don't need encrypted for personal e-mail). Was almost half the price of a BB.

TH

Now now Merid, no need to get a case of Smartphone Envy mate. :D:D

No Worries! :D:D:D Like thaihome said, it's a great corporate phone, but I just don't need it. A lot of people also like it because it's trendy, (just like the Iphone a few months ago), and that's great too, but I just don't think it offers too much more than what has already been around for years. I think I felt a need to post to offload some of the pressure my friends are giving me to buy the BB Bold 9700. :)

R

I've got the Asus p527, it's okay but nothing special. It has all the usual stuff that every phone should have now. Camera, wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, USB connector, etc.

What I really want now is a tablet phone with a slide-out keyboard, and a host USB port (as opposed to client, so that USB transfers can be hosted by your phone. Imagine hooking up your phone to your external hard drive, or any other USB device). The port, mixed with a useful OS, basically gives you a laptop in your pocket. A real pocket pc!

The Nokia N900 has it, but I don't like their OS. The Toshiba Tsunagi TG01 is almost perfect, but doesn't have a slide-out keyboard. The only one that has everything I want just came out. The Saygus Vphone V1, uses the Android OS, which I've heard good things about, but I don't know the Saygus company at all, so I'm a little leery.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Wossnext. I'm sure that your girlfriend will love her BB once it's set up completely, but just expect her to be on BBchat all the time! :D:D

If you keep having setup problems with it, Central Pinklao is not the best place to go. Try MBK, the phone floor has everything you could ever need for any phone. Enjoy!

Now now Merid, no need to get a case of Smartphone Envy mate. :D:D

No Worries! :D:D:D Like thaihome said, it's a great corporate phone, but I just don't need it. A lot of people also like it because it's trendy, (just like the Iphone a few months ago), and that's great too, but I just don't think it offers too much more than what has already been around for years. I think I felt a need to post to offload some of the pressure my friends are giving me to buy the BB Bold 9700. :)

R

I've got the Asus p527, it's okay but nothing special. It has all the usual stuff that every phone should have now. Camera, wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, USB connector, etc.

What I really want now is a tablet phone with a slide-out keyboard, and a host USB port (as opposed to client, so that USB transfers can be hosted by your phone. Imagine hooking up your phone to your external hard drive, or any other USB device). The port, mixed with a useful OS, basically gives you a laptop in your pocket. A real pocket pc!

The Nokia N900 has it, but I don't like their OS. The Toshiba Tsunagi TG01 is almost perfect, but doesn't have a slide-out keyboard. The only one that has everything I want just came out. The Saygus Vphone V1, uses the Android OS, which I've heard good things about, but I don't know the Saygus company at all, so I'm a little leery.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Wossnext. I'm sure that your girlfriend will love her BB once it's set up completely, but just expect her to be on BBchat all the time! :D:D

If you keep having setup problems with it, Central Pinklao is not the best place to go. Try MBK, the phone floor has everything you could ever need for any phone. Enjoy!

No worries thanks for that. My wife and I both really like this phone, the Central Pinklao reference was for the DTAC service centre only, they sorted the problem 'dodgy sim card'. A steep learning curve after iPhone but a worthwhile one methinks. Hated iTunes with a passion lovin' the SD freedom again and BT usabilty. The new Curve 8900 screen is a stunner, smaller sure but very very crisp images and fine for the bus/train to watch a comedy clip or 2 on, not forgetting the new camera...excellent! currently on the 350 baht BB plan with calls on top, thats fine but will want apps soon so will need to look at data plans after I get a job here, which should be soon I hope.