Another 'what's This Snake' Topic.

I know it can be annoying to see these topics over and over again, but I've checked through the old TV threads and looked at all the pictures, as well as searching various Asian snake websites but can not find it. It's the second one I've seen in the garden. I think it may be none venomous and of the rat snake family but I'm not sure. The cat sat and thought about having a go at it but in the end after a brief foray simply walked away. This makes me wonder if it is poisonous. I let the snake go anyway. If anyone knows let me know please.

post-33112-1263864763_thumb.jpg

post-33112-1263864875_thumb.jpg

I am not a expert. If we/i woud know how the suroundings look like, how big the snake is, ..., woud make it more easy.

I think too, may a ratsnake, there are a lot of yong ones this time. But the head looks more like the one of

a watersnake (striped water snake?), if you stay next to some water.

No we aren't near any water. It was quite small at around half a meter in length. Looking again at the photographs I notice the head area is different to the rest of the length. If it were bigger a might have wondered if it wasn't the retracted hood of a cobra type snake. But I think the jumping snakes also have this type of neck area. So I'm no clearer really.

We are about 5km from the beach and live in a residential area. There's no woodland close by or body of water. Only a small garden where we occasionally get tree snakes but only ever the same type: the small paradise tree sake.

Edited by Richb2004v2

No we aren't near any water. It was quite small at around half a meter in length. Looking again at the photographs I notice the head area is different to the rest of the length. If it were bigger a might have wondered if it wasn't the retracted hood of a cobra type snake. But I think the jumping snakes also have this type of neck area. So I'm no clearer really.

We are about 5km from the beach and live in a residential area. There's no woodland close by or body of water. Only a small garden where we occasionally get tree snakes but only ever the same type: the small paradise tree sake.

First look I would say a Cobra could be wrong but the rule is ALWAY assume any snake is poisionous unless positive of its identity

This is a possibility as it is found south thialand and hte patterns are very similar but that head is throwing me

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_oligodon.html

Edited by FarangCravings

its a Banded Kukri Snake (Oligodon fasciolatus)

not venomous, but it will give a nasty nip or two if agitated..

here's a link to another good photo of one..

Thank you. I think you are right. Although searching the internet under that name does not come up with anymore convincing pictures.