Woman Injured After Falling Onto Bangkok Skytrain Tracks

george

Let me just point out that I have a very positive view of the Skytrain and specially the MRT, they both are excellent and their only main problem is that they are being stretched beyond their capacity at times.

I believe the safety design of this has been flawed from day one. I was always surprised why they don't have safety railings at each station with automatic doors that line up with the doors on the cars and only open once the train has stopped and its door opened. There everyone is behind the fence and cant be pushed down onto the tracks. I have only been on the skytrain a few times but each time I was always thinking why this is completely open, Im surprised it has taken this long for something like this to happen.

I do hope the girl makes a full recovery.

Mitigating this would be even simpler, just by installing fixed railings in the spaces between the areas where the doors open would reduce the chances of accidentally falling on the tracks.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm from Montreal and the subway there doesn't have any protective doors. But it's also been there for 40 years or so, so there is now a general etiquette of getting on and off.

My suggestion for the BTS...

Add more cars during rush hours. I mean at least 3 more. Also, instead of stopping right at the end of the station, stop in place so that there is an entrance right in line with the top of stairs. Makes things much faster. Obviously where I'm from isn't as crowded as Bangkok, so I would strongly consider adding safety doors like those on the MRT.

Another thing I've noticed since the BTS opened, was that when people stepped past that yellow line, guards would instantly blow a whistle at you. However during rush hour there's too many people for the 1 or 2 guards at each stop to keep track of. Hire more guards... Make them stand at certain points along the platform, and have them blow whistles when people try to rush in before everyone has exited.

Not going to happen. They're not going to add safety doors because it's means additional COSTS. I think the only easy solution is to add more cabins during rush hours.

But alas this is Thailand..changes take months if not years to implement if ever. Sabai sabai na krub =)

I hope the woman recovers quickly.

The one thing that really bothers me about the Skytrain and MRT users is that most enter the train and (if there are no empty seats) just stop right there, bunching up at the doors while the middle of the carriages are mostly empty.

Agreed.

Three other types get me going.

The "I'm Intelligent" reading newspaper rider (usually farang) that invariably tries to do this while standing near the door.

The "Backpack Rats" (not tourists), the one's that are oblivious to the fact that their pack (containing books, gym shorts?) and swing it around banging into people. Did they forget they put it on their backs before they left the house?

The "Pompous Purse Patrol", similar to the above, these gals (and odd katoey) seemed surprised that people just won't move for them when they come flopping on the train.

and last bu not least..

The "Isn't My Japanese Font Cool" Mobile Brigade that thinks it's cool to show off their Japanese Cartoons / Text while not holding on to a support handle and stumble into the nearest victim every time the trains moves. Trendy, yet uncool.

Edited by bkkjames

Thai's are just soo ignorant at times! No manners, whatsoever!

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

You probably are new arrival or what? Thais DO NOT have manners :

- Waiting in line ? They don't know how to do that.

- keeping the door open for one and other ? Doesn't happen either, they let teh door slam in your face.

- Now, traffic, do you drive a car here bud?

No sir, Thais have absolutely no manners and are very selfish.

Not my experience

- Waiting in lines? All the time and rarely does anyone cut in front of me - at the corner store, the grocery, the market, to see a movie, anywhere....

- Keeping the door open? Also happens often for me, sometimes just going into a store, or coming into or leaving my building, getting on the elevator. Maybe something in your attitude towards Thais and Thailand shows through?

- Traffic? Why would I even bother here? Between vans, buses, MRT, and BTS, and taxi when absolutely necessary I have no interest in driving here. And I have come closer to being run over or hit by a careless driver in my home town of population 10,000 than I have here in BKK population 10,000,000 plus.

Yeah I'm from Montreal and the subway there doesn't have any protective doors. But it's also been there for 40 years or so, so there is now a general etiquette of getting on and off.

My suggestion for the BTS...

Add more cars during rush hours. I mean at least 3 more. Also, instead of stopping right at the end of the station, stop in place so that there is an entrance right in line with the top of stairs. Makes things much faster. Obviously where I'm from isn't as crowded as Bangkok, so I would strongly consider adding safety doors like those on the MRT.

Another thing I've noticed since the BTS opened, was that when people stepped past that yellow line, guards would instantly blow a whistle at you. However during rush hour there's too many people for the 1 or 2 guards at each stop to keep track of. Hire more guards... Make them stand at certain points along the platform, and have them blow whistles when people try to rush in before everyone has exited.

Not going to happen. They're not going to add safety doors because it's means additional COSTS. I think the only easy solution is to add more cabins during rush hours.

But alas this is Thailand..changes take months if not years to implement if ever. Sabai sabai na krub =)

Please get it right. They're not safety doors, their primary purpose is to keep the airconditiond air on the platform, and not spreading out into the tunnels. Any underground system that needs to cool, or heat, the platforms will have these glass walls and doors. Any above ground system, where the platform is open to the outside air, will not have them. Look at Singapore for example, on the same MRT line, the underground stations have the doors, the above ground stations don't. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Thai bashing.

Dont mix the Skytrain with subways. Most of the subways have security doors these days. Cant remember if the Vancouver (CAN) Skytrain has security doors or not.

Bangkok Skytrain hasn't. Thats the danger. Some cars should be added to cope with the increasing passengers.

These trains are running since 10years and it became a mess and very inconvenient to ride. Try out Siam at 5pm....

No the VAncouver ( CAN) Skytrain does not have security doors -- but then it is a very different system -- it is the original SNC-Lavalin system which was started in BKK by BERTS and abandoned in 1992 after construction had started.

The Vancouver system is fully automated/computerized with no drivers or conductors -- and carriage capacity is automatically added as needed -- seems the solution to the problem !!

MORE CAPACITY !

I'm from Vancouver and Skytrain is the sh*ttest system ever! It's poorly built and has minimal seats and cabin space usage is awful to boot. It also breaks down a lot! No turn style so people cheat and what is their solution? Hire expensive union security guards to chase after free loaders..I'm so glad I'm no longer living there even if I miss my family back home.

Wonderful !! Now we have a chance to change this thread into "who's got the worst transit system in the world " as well as " who are the worst mannered people in the world " -- sorry but I choose not to encourage you !

I'm glad you do not live in Vancouver now, and hopefully you are happier in Thailand.

We have no problems like this is lovely Lamphun !

Try the Paris Metro if you want the law of the Jungle.

We have some sinsitive sorts on this forum, which should be changed to never let an oppertunity pass without bashing Thais forum.

I have to wonder how a few of you made it this far in life when a little pushing and shoveing upsets you so.

Try the Paris Metro if you want the law of the Jungle.

We have some sinsitive sorts on this forum, which should be changed to never let an oppertunity pass without bashing Thais forum.

I have to wonder how a few of you made it this far in life when a little pushing and shoveing upsets you so.

That's probably because you never tried to push me mate. :D:D:)

Back to the topic at hand, I am a bit surprised (pleasantly) that this doesn't happen more often.

Singapore train users are much more rude and aggresive than here, particularly in regard to blocking the centre section of the platform opposite the doors supposedly for departing passengers to use.

I noticed a few weeks back, there are now huge posters on some of the stations, requesting boarding passengers to adhere to this what should be common sense rule.

That has not been my experience at all.

Wonderful !! Now we have a chance to change this thread into "who's got the worst transit system in the world " as well as " who are the worst mannered people in the world " -- sorry but I choose not to encourage you !

I'm glad you do not live in Vancouver now, and hopefully you are happier in Thailand.

We have no problems like this is lovely Lamphun !

Oh get off your high horse. This is a forum for people to express opinions. And this particular topic is related to how we can improve BTS. Someone inferred that the Vancouver skytrain was a good system to which I have a differing opinion.

Yes I'm more happy living in Thailand now. And yes Thailand has it's quirks I'm not happy about but no city is perfect. I'm settling for the lesser of two evils.

I'm still waiting patiently for the airport link to open...patience is a virtue here.

Singapore train users are much more rude and aggresive than here, particularly in regard to blocking the centre section of the platform opposite the doors supposedly for departing passengers to use.

I noticed a few weeks back, there are now huge posters on some of the stations, requesting boarding passengers to adhere to this what should be common sense rule.

That has not been my experience at all.

Then count yourself lucky! I've had quite a few nasty experiences riding their public transit system. Like I posted earlier..rude/selfish people exists everywhere and not limited to just Thais and farangs.

Let's hope that today's incident does not reoccur often...and speedy recovery to that poor woman.

You guys who think its a Thai thing to push onto a train ought to try NYC subways- the BTS is orderly and polite in comparison. As a couple of people mentioned the answer is management adding cars to the trains during rush hour. Before there is a fatality. Surprised they haven't blamed it on the security guard.

I moved from Manhattan to Bangkok and I call bullshit. Most Thais appear to have no idea of how to enter a train, and I often just walked tits-first into the ignorant bints who wouldn't let people OFF the train before they tried to get ON. And don't get me started about stopping for a nasal exploration at the top or bottom of an escalator.... I hope the lady recovers fully and quickly.

I rode the subway for a couple of years in NYC, and I call BS also. :)

me too................... I know there are some times when people act like that on the NYC subway but for my experience on the BTS this is more often than not what is going on..plus the people never move to the inside of the car when more people are getting on, they just stay in one spot when they can move in the train more...<deleted> is up with that?!?! I don't like people on the train or bus or whatever..I try to avoid it but it makes it faster for me to get to school -.-

The BTS has had a rather long, trouble free run. I've lived in a lot of countries and getting on and off mass transit is never a fun or easy thing. Some places are worse, but none are good. After all let's remember there are up to a couple of hundred people trying to get on, an equal number getting off and it all has to be done in a very limited amount of time. It has the decorum of refugees fleeing a bombing. It goes with the territory, I guess.

I guess most of these fools have never seen hiow they pack them in Japan. INSANE & SCARY. The Thais are very well mannered people. I know because I have been coming here for 30 years.

Craig, please shower more frequently - you stink, stay sober because you are drunk all the time and stop being obsessed with sex. Please do not say that none of them apply to you because we all know all farangs, at times, smell, are drunk and obsessed with sex.

Do not make generalised statements. If you want others to repect you, you have to respect them - respect has to be earned!

also some of you don't seem to realize what's going on..as yes Thai people are nice and respectable and all that, but what people are trying to say is that "SOME" Thai's behavior on the BTS is rude and doesn't use common senes. If you don't take the BTS everyday and have a general knowledge of how people are every single day or you have not taken the BTS in over a year or something..then your comments don't really hold much weight in your "How could you say that??" statements...

The fact of the matter is, these people were really rude and this lady was injured because of it!! I feel so bad for her..

Craig, please shower more frequently - you stink, stay sober because you are drunk all the time and stop being obsessed with sex. Please do not say that none of them apply to you because we all know all farangs, at times, smell, are drunk and obsessed with sex.

Do not make generalised statements. If you want others to repect you, you have to respect them - respect has to be earned!

Please elaborate HOW to respect someone who obviously doesn't respect you by blocking you to get off the train.

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

I agree with the posters comments that Thai's are generally ignorant and have no manners, this is based on 5 years of riding the skytrain daily. If you don't believe this try getting on the skytrain at On nut at 7.30am calling them cattle is an insult to cattle.

If mass transit here - including the BTS - is so terrible and the people are so rude, why do the people complaining stay here. I'm here because I love Thailand and I want to learn more about Thai language and culture. I'm not here to make a bundle of money. I'm not here to exploit people (for profit or other things). I'm here because Thailand is a wonderful place with a wonderful culture. As for the mass transit system, coming from the rural US here makes me appreciate it. When you have limited or no public transit (even the Greyhound didn't come near where I lived) I appreciate the options here - BTS, MRT, buses, public van services,.... and I appreciate my Thai friends, who have met me at the airport, helped me learn my way around, assisted in negotiating rents, and even on one occasion invited me to stay in their one-room unit. My feeling is that people who don't like Thailand or the Thai have an option. No one forces them to be here. And it is generally a lot easier for Westerners to come to Thailand, often on false pretenses, than it is for Thai to go to Western countries.

I am grateful I have access to the BTS, MRT, and other transit, and I am appreciative of the Thai people.

Granuaile

Granuaile, you may be lucky enough to have surrounded yourself with only nice people and that is great for you, I hope you continue to have only good experiences while you are in Thailand. I first came to Thailand in 1995 and have been living here since 2005 and I assure you that there are just as many rude and ignorant Thais as there are polite and courteous ones. I found the Thais to be far more polite 15 years ago than I do now, which is a little sad because that was one of the attractions of Thailand. Maybe we as foreigners are to blame to some extent.

It is common sense that if a train is full, you have to let some people get off before others can get on, apparently not a lot of common sense prevails with many Thais.

(There is the same problem in Indonesia with elevators). It is not Thai bashing to say that something is wrong with the country or the way Thais think or do certain things. There is many things that I think are wrong with my home country (Aust) and many things that are good and I don't think that I am Aust bashing by saying that.

You have no right to tell people where to stay or live, this is not your country and never will be, no matter how long you stay here. Your comment that if you don't like Thailand, go somewhere else(not exact comment) is very childish, people are just expressing an opinion about 1 thing that they feel is wrong with Thailand, nobody has said everthing is wrong with Thailand or Thai people. You may have been comming here for many years as a tourist but you have only been living here a very short time, it may be a good idea to live here a little longer before jumping to the defence of everything Thai. Living here long term is very different than just being a tourist for a few weeks.

Whenever someone (or a herd) is standing in front of the door trying to get in before any of us get out I asked in a clear voice "Can we get out first please?"... This appears to shock a lot of them into moving back and realizing how silly they are acting. I used to know the phrase in Thai language which had even more effect. I suggest we all start saying something like that. Not in a mean of beligerent way but just as a clear indication that they should show courtesy.

Apart from that.. Posters and 'advertisements' in the BTS should help. At least the monitors would be used for a good purpose. And yes... add more carriages please and start contruction on a second track at the Saphan Taksin station. It's ridiculous, waiting in a BTS on top of the two tracks on the bridge to head into a station with only 1 track.

Whenever someone (or a herd) is standing in front of the door trying to get in before any of us get out I asked in a clear voice "Can we get out first please?"... This appears to shock a lot of them into moving back and realizing how silly they are acting. I used to know the phrase in Thai language which had even more effect. I suggest we all start saying something like that. Not in a mean of beligerent way but just as a clear indication that they should show courtesy.

Apart from that.. Posters and 'advertisements' in the BTS should help. At least the monitors would be used for a good purpose. And yes... add more carriages please and start contruction on a second track at the Saphan Taksin station. It's ridiculous, waiting in a BTS on top of the two tracks on the bridge to head into a station with only 1 track.

I believe the phrase you're looking for in Thai is...

Hai kon lon gon dai mai krub? --- let people out first,can?

If not correct, I hope a Thai person here can correct for me.

Dear Mr Hippo, you sadly follow a crass comment from the OP to whom you reply, with your own odious and insidious generalisation insulting all 'foreigners' as highlighted in bold italic above......sigh.

Makes a mockery of your own signature - yes? "It's nice to be important but it's more inportant to be nice!"

Get back on 'track' and stick to fact, eh! Rail Safety not Rank Sparring.

I use the train everyday, and the way Thai's just push pass you to make sure they get on before you, this kind of thing was always going to happen at some point!

Hope she recovers soon!!

ever took the subway in paris or new york at rush hour? exactly the same if not worse... please go back to where you come from if you hate Thais so much..... your comment stinks !

Granuaile, you may be lucky enough to have surrounded yourself with only nice people and that is great for you, I hope you continue to have only good experiences while you are in Thailand. I first came to Thailand in 1995 and have been living here since 2005 and I assure you that there are just as many rude and ignorant Thais as there are polite and courteous ones. I found the Thais to be far more polite 15 years ago than I do now, which is a little sad because that was one of the attractions of Thailand. Maybe we as foreigners are to blame to some extent.

It is common sense that if a train is full, you have to let some people get off before others can get on, apparently not a lot of common sense prevails with many Thais.

(There is the same problem in Indonesia with elevators). It is not Thai bashing to say that something is wrong with the country or the way Thais think or do certain things. There is many things that I think are wrong with my home country (Aust) and many things that are good and I don't think that I am Aust bashing by saying that.

You have no right to tell people where to stay or live, this is not your country and never will be, no matter how long you stay here. Your comment that if you don't like Thailand, go somewhere else(not exact comment) is very childish, people are just expressing an opinion about 1 thing that they feel is wrong with Thailand, nobody has said everthing is wrong with Thailand or Thai people. You may have been comming here for many years as a tourist but you have only been living here a very short time, it may be a good idea to live here a little longer before jumping to the defence of everything Thai. Living here long term is very different than just being a tourist for a few weeks.

And I am merely expressing the opinion that they don't have to be here. If it is so terrible here and if the system is so bad, they have options. It was fairly easy for me to come here, but I've known many Thai who could not get a visa to come to the US or Canada. Seems to me that we should be appreciative, rather than bashing the Thai at every opportunity. I don't have to be here. If I didn't like it here I would return to the US or venture elsewhere. I may have to for economic reasons, but I appreciate being here and I appreciate the people. If that ceases to be the case I won't be here.

I believe the phrase you're looking for in Thai is...

Hai kon lon gon dai mai krub? --- let people out first,can?

If not correct, I hope a Thai person here can correct for me.

or as my wife says to move our young kids as necessary: "Toy Laeo" (phonetic) aka Move it ! :)

Maybe add 'na khrap ' for politeness? Any alternates welcomed :D

Edited by Brewsta

One easy solution for two problems. Since the trains always stop in the same designated spots (give or take) why not install guard rails?? This will give people the safety they should have, as well, since most people will feel safer behind them they will not be standing in front of the doors stopping others from getting off the trains. If they do stand in front of the door opening spot instead of behind the guard rails, then we push them onto the tracks

also some of you don't seem to realize what's going on..as yes Thai people are nice and respectable and all that, but what people are trying to say is that "SOME" Thai's behavior on the BTS is rude and doesn't use common senes. If you don't take the BTS everyday and have a general knowledge of how people are every single day or you have not taken the BTS in over a year or something..then your comments don't really hold much weight in your "How could you say that??" statements...

The fact of the matter is, these people were really rude and this lady was injured because of it!! I feel so bad for her..

sorry but last time i got pushed arround in the BTS was from a group of loud farangs who were totally oblivious of the people around them ....

Comment from a newbie of course! Craig123 didn't say Thais are soo ignorant and no manners, he actually said 'so ignorant AT TIMES', i.e, sometimes. Just like we can all be rude and ignorant sometimes. It might have been a heated comment, but it certainly wasn't inaccurate.

And you state 'For all I know', well what do you know? Please enlighten us.

When you're crowded in like sheep on the BTS, is that good?!

When everytime Thais push to get on first, even if people haven't exited.

When litter is thrown on the ground by Thais, its okay, but if we do it, please pay 2000 baht, or 400 baht 'pocket money'.

Has a Thai, even just once ever, and I mean ever held the door open for the person behind them?

Craig123 may have been pointing out the obvious in a rather strong way, but can you deny that he has a point?

I love Thais, Thais for the most part are polite, but yes there are occasions where our Farang blood boils.

Dear Mr Hippo, you sadly follow a crass comment from the OP to whom you reply, with your own odious and insidious generalisation insulting all 'foreigners' as highlighted in bold italic above......sigh.

Makes a mockery of your own signature - yes? "It's nice to be important but it's more inportant to be nice!"

Get back on 'track' and stick to fact, eh! Rail Safety not Rank Sparring.

:) another one who can't recognize irony and sarcasm from a serious comment tksssss :D:D

:D Another one who can't spell (inportant), punctuate(; required in 3 places) correctly or debate above infant level (tkssss actually = 'tsk')

Give it and break and leave the space for comments relational to the thread...... Crowd Control not Childish Chundering.... I rest my case.

Have you anything to say about improving Transport safety standards in LOS? Unlikely. :D

Brewsta