Looking For Hair Dresser (barber) In Chiang Mai

direct2dance

Crikey - there are 5 hairdressers within 3 minutes walk from my house - and I live 12Km out of town! Its not hard to find a good one, look at the ones that have customers then try it out. Personally I cut my own hair (in the mirror) and have done since I was in my 20's - only get a professional cut maybe once a year to keep some semblance of style. I once paid 150B for one (in town) was exactly the same as the 90baht one I got from my "regular" (as in usual, not as in regularly) one. Hairdressers here seem to be almost as common as 7-11s (more so around my way - where we only have 2 7-11s in that 3 minutes walk - opposite each other - a third one takes a good fifteen minutes forced march to reach), beating internet cafes into a close run thirs (2 that I know of, one is small so I gave it to 7-11s).

"Crikey - there are 5 hairdressers within 3 minutes walk from my house - and I live 12Km out of town! Its not hard to find a good one,"

ditto... what do you suggest I tell my guests? "Take a walk"? I think I'd rather say something like "we'll have someone here by 3 PM".

Just like when a client or guest requires any other service (laundry, massage, dinner, computer repairs {I'm not about to tell a certain major international airline to "take a walk" when they have a broken computer})

"Amazing" (Thai Visa Forum) attitude to a simple question....

<-- edit: actually, not so amazing... I guess I should have expected it. Silly me. -->

"Crikey", indeed.

Edited by warfie

Crikey - there are 5 hairdressers within 3 minutes walk from my house - and I live 12Km out of town! Its not hard to find a good one, look at the ones that have customers then try it out. Personally I cut my own hair (in the mirror) and have done since I was in my 20's - only get a professional cut maybe once a year to keep some semblance of style. I once paid 150B for one (in town) was exactly the same as the 90baht one I got from my "regular" (as in usual, not as in regularly) one. Hairdressers here seem to be almost as common as 7-11s (more so around my way - where we only have 2 7-11s in that 3 minutes walk - opposite each other - a third one takes a good fifteen minutes forced march to reach), beating internet cafes into a close run thirs (2 that I know of, one is small so I gave it to 7-11s).

"Crikey - there are 5 hairdressers within 3 minutes walk from my house - and I live 12Km out of town! Its not hard to find a good one,"

ditto... what do you suggest I tell my guests? "Take a walk"? I think I'd rather say something like "we'll have someone here by 3 PM".

Just like when a client or guest requires any other service (laundry, massage, dinner, computer repairs {I'm not about to tell a certain major international airline to "take a walk" when they have a broken computer})

<-- edit: actually, not so amazing... I guess I should have expected it. Silly me. -->

"Crikey", indeed.

Obviously if you are a guesthouse with customers (guests) and have no local knowledge, then sure - however the Op never said he had guests just that he has moved is visiting [Edit: "hs moved" to "is visiting"] my reply wasn't meant to be terse or obtuse, just factual - CM is overflowing with hairdressers (I take my daughters for haircuts fairly regularly, and have never been to a bad one here). Sorry if you were upset, not my intention.

Edited by wolf5370

"Crikey", indeed.

Obviously if you are a guesthouse with customers (guests) and have no local knowledge, then sure - however the Op never said he had guests just that he has moved is visiting [Edit: "hs moved" to "is visiting"] my reply wasn't meant to be terse or obtuse, just factual - CM is overflowing with hairdressers (I take my daughters for haircuts fairly regularly, and have never been to a bad one here). Sorry if you were upset, not my intention.

No, I should apologise. After reading the response from Elektrified, which was obviously aimed at me I assumed that your reply was aimed at me too, I now realise that it was not, my bad, I'm sorry. ชอโทษคร้บ :wai:

At present I take a walk to my local market, Dom Payom, get my haircut, sit with locals for a light meal and a beer and bring home some fruit & veg.

Suits me just fine, I enjoy it, real "grass-roots" Thai experience. Helps me improve my ภาษาไทย (Thai language) too.

I mentioned 'my family'... because it's somewhat less convenient for my disabled uncle.

I mentioned my guests because I'm always looking for ways to improve and enhance the services we offer.

I would avail myself of the same service on occasions when I am "time-poor". Seems to be the case more often now that I am supposedly retired... :ermm:

So, my question remains, does anyone know of a hairdresser who is prepared to travel?

Edited by warfie

I'm looking for a hairdresser to come to my place for myself, my family and my guests.

Any suggestions?

It might help if we (forum members) were aware of your location, numbers, sex(s), ages and hairdressing requirements. Also are you a temp visitor or long term resident

Edited by scottishjohn

"I now realise that it was not, my bad, I'm sorry. ชอโทษคร้บ :wai: "

-------------------

ชอโทษ ?????

If you want to impress us with your linguistic ability, mind your ข's and ช's

Good luck with the hairdresser.

I think the writer refers to O-B-One rather than Q Bone. It is one of a chain of salons and we have been going to the one almost next to Rimping by the river for about 3 years now. Nice man to cut western hair and he understands our needs. Checks the result having listened to your request. Baht 200 for my husband including massage. Reasonable standard of English spoken by staff but the owner has excellent English.

I'm looking for a hairdresser to come to my place for myself, my family and my guests.

Any suggestions?

It might help if we (forum members) were aware of your location, numbers, sex(s), ages and hairdressing requirements. Also are you a temp visitor or long term resident

Posted in the Chiang Mai sub-forum, in a thread titled "Looking for a hairdresser in Chiang Mai"... Have a guess as to the location.

"myself, my family and my guests." would indicate to even my feeble mind that the ages, sexes and numbers would vary greatly.

I am a long term resident, though I don't know what difference that would make.

-------------------

ชอโทษ ?????

Not trying to impress anyone, just trying to practice what little I know, Thanks for the correction.

-------------------

ชอโทษ ?????

Not trying to impress anyone, just trying to practice what little I know, Thanks for the correction.

I can see a Thai off brewing!

Edited by GUANO

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been getting my hair cut by Khun Noi at Muangmai barbershop for many years. Lovely, lively, lady, mid-40s, enjoys practising her English, recently increased her prices to about 70 baht for a cut, same again for wash and blow dry. I think her shop phone number is still 053 876123. Tell her Mike sent you.

Drive up Meuang Samut Rd from Muangmai market, turn left just before the PTT petrol station (Wangsingkham Soi 1?) and it's more or less opposite the petrol station's 711 shop, next to the video shop. Sign only in Thai.

If you click this link, it should show you the position on Google Maps 18.799444, 98.997470

CMMCB

I rode over there today based on your recommendation and the shutter was pulled down. I went back about an hour later and it was still closed up. Hope she is still around.

No idea why but a bunch of young folk, guys and girls and maybe gays, who knows, were cutting hair for free today outside Tesco Lotus on Hang Dong road--didn't ask why free but seemed like a good deal.

Probably a group of students from Khun Jo or another beauty acadamy. That's part of their on-the-job training.

I rode over there today based on your recommendation and the shutter was pulled down. I went back about an hour later and it was still closed up. Hope she is still around.

Hi beb,

Yes, she's definitely still around. Bought my xmas cakes from her a few days ago (she's a good baker too!) Wednesdays are an unpopular day for Thais to get their haircut, so think she often closes at least half a day a couple of Wednesdays each month. Try again tomorrow? Or try the phone number in my earlier post. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll contact her for an up-to-date number.

Good luck.

CMMCB

Ok, went over today and got my hair cut

Hi beb,

Yes, she's definitely still around. Bought my xmas cakes from her a few days ago (she's a good baker too!) Wednesdays are an unpopular day for Thais to get their haircut, so think she often closes at least half a day a couple of Wednesdays each month. Try again tomorrow? Or try the phone number in my earlier post. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll contact her for an up-to-date number.

Good luck.

CMMCB

Ok, went over again today and she was open (she was closed yesterday...) I told her Mike sent me, which she seemed to like, and the wash and cut were both very nice. But she charged 160 baht in the end. Not to worry though because she told me that if I was in the US I'd pay a lot more.