Thai Language Schools

Colabamumbai

How do I make this short. Got an education visa to come here for a school. The Asoke branch says they do not have enough people for me to take the morning courses, only afternoon and evenings. They can send me to the Phaya Thai branch for morning classes. So I start Monday. I ask If I can buy the books now, the Asoke branch says no, because the Phaya Thai branch teaches grammar differently and they use a different book.

So first they tell you that you can choose the schedule (they need six for a class) then when you pick the schedule ie Mornings they tell you you have to go to the other branch using a different method. The Phaya branch will not speak at all in English and you can only ask questions at the end of the class.

The Asoke branch says I can take afternoon or evenings 3 or 5 days a week, but the other branch that has morning classes will not accept 3 days a week and I must go 5 days a week. Something stinks like shit here and I would be glad to tell you the name of the school.

Why is a school teaching different methods at 2 branches and how would a felang know what is best for him.

They offer no test to determine what is best it is up to their discretion.

This was for a six month course. When they saw that I had a one year Ed visa they were upset. I told them that it was not their business how long my visa was for.

Like some feedback here.

Yes it's strange' but there are so many schools in Bangkok. Why didn't you check them out before enrolling and'paying'there? I recommend Thai-Walen for'next time; it's also at Asoke-station and they take care of your Visa as well. You can even enjoy a 4 hours test-lesson every Friday at 5pm 'hope this'will help'

Yes it's strange' but there are so many schools in Bangkok. Why didn't you check them out before enrolling and'paying'there? I recommend Thai-Walen for'next time; it's also at Asoke-station and they take care of your Visa as well. You can even enjoy a 4 hours test-lesson every Friday at 5pm 'hope this'will help'

Thanks I had paid them in advance from Canada to arrange the visa. It is crazy eh, O had heard so many negative comments about thai Whalen, that why I did not go with them. I looked for advice here and checked them all out on the internet. its thai language solutions. I really appreciate your input.

Take any advise in this forum "with a grain of salt". There appear to be individuals of Schools who praise their Schools under the pretext of being a student/ex-student. To those who have experience in this forum and have multiple postings these "wolfes in sheeps clothing" are quiet obvious.

A posting - in a way - is like a signature: The method - the subject matter - the intentional errors etc etc etc can be as revealing as a signature - to the trained eye.

There is much good advise in this Forum - but stay with reputable individuals who have experience in Thailand and have solid, sound advise. Typically they have multiple (100+) postings - Softwater - Todd Daniels - Houston etc etc etc to name a few of them.

Edited by Parvis

Yes normally you are right that some-one of a certain school can use this question for promoting an-other business but why not if it's really for the good.

I am sorry when I just joined'now, even I read TV since'couple of'years al'ready and every-one starts some-how with his first post or reply'

The number of postings or'date of registration don't necessarily reflect the experience of a member about Thailand. And every-one can be an expert in his own field with his very own experiences. Even the'mentioned most experienced writers don't have a clue for every'question.

As I was lucky to choose the right school at the first place and they'served me well so far I can only recommend this company and no other to you guys but see that I asked for checking-out all schools first before deciding for the possibly best one.

PS I certainly don't get any commission from them, even I bring a new potential student in'person to them be-cause they don't need that'support any-way.

Normally it's okay to even pay them from abroad and they send you the documents for the Thai-embassy in Canada; every school wants to get paid in'advance I guess or at least' a down-payment for doing the Visa-stuff. But in your case it seems to be a problem about the quality of the school in teaching-skills or'method. That's why you need to test them'in'advance! If they don't want to give you that opportunity then'choose straight for another-one.

Every school has also its weaknesses like'human-being because it's made by humans and it's al'ways a business with the aim to make'money. And every student has'different expectations. You have to choose the right one for your-self. I personally don't know of any critics about Walen since I study there.

I have just returned from the Phaya Thai branch where they told me it would only cost me 9,999. bhat for the 6 months ed visa and 60 hours in class, of course they did not know who I was. I asked them why I paid them $12,500 Bhat, after calling their boss in Asoke they tried unsuccessfully to give me some answers and a number of excuses and then when I suggested a refund of $2,500 bhat they tried to offer me more in class hours, although they did not know how the would do that. Well I hate to say this but it is already costing them money in lost clients. Thats they price you pay for an education. I am already a smarter man now, even though I do not start till February 1.

There is much good advise in this Forum - but stay with reputable individuals who have experience in Thailand and have solid, sound advise. Typically they have multiple (100+) postings - Softwater - Todd Daniels - Houston etc etc etc to name a few of them.

You can read some of Todd Daniels' experience with BKK language schools here: Review: Thai Language Schools in Bangkok

In my opinion 10.000 THB for 6 months and 60 hours is not just only. Now'schools are offering 25.000 Baht for 1year-Visa (extendable up to 15 months-similar to'non-O) and Walen gives 180 lesson in total. But I find it very strange that'different branches of the same school can make their very own deals with its customers. For me it's a sign that there is some-thing wrong. But unfortunately you have decided for them al'ready by your first down-payment for a 6 month-period thus'use this time and take the offer of 20 lessons more for'compensation. It's better than no-thing, since you know: you wont get back any money from them! PS no school would like to return the received money for sure.

A refund would al'ways hurt them but more hours in'class doesn't matter when there is half'class any-way.

Just be friendly as you have to deal with them for another 6 months and then you can move-on to the next school of your choice!

For the more hours just make a schedule with them because 60 hours for half a year is any-way less than the recommended 4 hours a week to qualify for ED-visa.

You don't need to care about their business; it's up to them. Just make sure that they give you the right documents for your extensions.

In my opinion 10.000 THB for 6 months and 60 hours is not just only. Now'schools are offering 25.000 Baht for 1year-Visa (extendable up to 15 months-similar to'non-O) and Walen gives 180 lesson in total. But I find it very strange that'different branches of the same school can make their very own deals with its customers. For me it's a sign that there is some-thing wrong. But unfortunately you have decided for them al'ready by your first down-payment for a 6 month-period thus'use this time and take the offer of 20 lessons more for'compensation. It's better than no-thing, since you know: you wont get back any money from them! PS no school would like to return the received money for sure.

A refund would al'ways hurt them but more hours in'class doesn't matter when there is half'class any-way.

Just be friendly as you have to deal with them for another 6 months and then you can move-on to the next school of your choice!

For the more hours just make a schedule with them because 60 hours for half a year is any-way less than the recommended 4 hours a week to qualify for ED-visa.

You don't need to care about their business; it's up to them. Just make sure that they give you the right documents for your extensions.

There were some misunderstandings the School is giving me 100 hours not 60 and I got a one year visa although their letter was for 6 months the consulate in Toronto knew it would be better to give me a one year visa. So we have straightened everything out and now the school wants me to go to the Asoke branch,

which they did not have enoughstudents for the morning class, all of a sudden they do now. I just think they want to keep an eye on me. Only after I ragged them out they told me it was a misunderstanding. They have now gone out of their way for me, after I reminded them how much business it may cost them. Sometimes I have to excersise my right and my left and another right. Now I would recommend them to anyone, they are sincere.

It is very much "buyer beware" when it comes to language schools in Bangkok.

A cynic might say that many of them are visa mills, and those that aren't, wish that they were.

I have experience with one school which had a large number of students on its books (judging by the number of signatures in their visa renewal book), but the school itself was usually as empty as a Saudi hotel room's minibar.

The Basic classes had a few languid farang students listening to a bored teacher reading single Thai words out of a book, and inviting them to repeat the words (while never correcting their pronunciation). Occasionally the students would start chatting to one another about life in general for 10 minutes at a time while the teacher stared out of the window.

I remember one 3-hour lesson where the only new word I learnt was อูฐ, 'camel', a word of perhaps limited use in Bangkok.

I was fast-tracked to the Advanced level, where we read about how to write petitions to the government and learnt about art in the Sukhothai period. This was so dull that the other students gradually quit, and then apparently, so did the clock-watching teacher, as the class closed, and I was demoted to the Intermediate class.

This, too, was strangely light on students, and free, too, of any inventiveness or enthusiasm in the teaching.

I used to complain to my friends that I couldn't study Thai on Wednesdays, because I had to go to school instead.

In sum, the whole teaching side of the operation was created to be as cost-effective as possible -- unqualified teachers, sub-standard methods and poor textbook material. By contrast, the visa support operation was efficient and well staffed.

I don't say that all schools are like this, but I'll bet that it's not the only one of this type.

Edited by RickBradford

I recommend... <SNIP> mindless promotion of Welan School 'O Thai deleted

I'm sorry "Phatheya" (creatively original name there 'pattaya').. but your posts sound too much like a mouthpiece for the Welan School (purposely misspelled for the duration of this post :) ). With you spouting out how many lessons, what the price is, what great value it is, you com across as an info-mercial. (and for the record, if you recommend someone to the school you do get commission, just ask about it)

Not to hi-jack the thread; but enquiring minds might want to know the answers to a few questions;

*How long have you attended Welan?

*What schools did you visit before you enrolled?

*Is learning thai important to you or was the visa and cost the deciding factor?

These and other questions are important when judging your comments about Welan being a good school.

BACK ON TOPIC:

The O/P sounds like he is enrolled in Thai Language Solutions as they have branches at both Asok and PhayaThai; http://www.thaisolutions1502.com/

Interestingly enough I can't remember if I ever toured their school although their website looks familiar. They all tend to blur together (unless they totally sucked or were exceptional :D ). I may give them a call today and walk down there today to scope out what they offer.

Also a note, as the O/P got his ED visa in his home country, he probably has a Multi-entry Non-Immigrant-Type-Ed visa as he stated it's good for a year.

That type of visa is good for stays of up to 90 days at a time in country. Then he can do a border run to get an additional 90 days, and running one last time before the visa expires gives him an additional 3 months so 15 months out of that visa. He never needs to extend it in the country or get any extension paperwork from the school, just border run every 3 months. With this visa he can also leave and reenter thailand to his hearts content as it's multi entry, so no need to get re-entry permits either

BTW: lest some poster spouts off about the inconvenience of border running; it is the virtually same cost wise as an extension; and burns almost the same amount of time as making the slog out to Chang Wattana and back to get another 90 days.

Anyway, I am glad the school stepped up to the plate and got things sorted out for the O/P, it's good to see that especially here where customer service after you pay your money is often times less than forthcoming.

Ooh that's great'that you'got them to give you even 40 hours plus. If the 100 is for 6 and not just only 12 months! Then you have a great value now, even better than my school. Your tactic seems to work well in Bangkok. They are interested in keeping you there. May-be they have heard my warning: customer will leave'after 6 months? But any-way: still watch'out! Now you will experience the quality of'education and if they really serve you as they'promised/if so: then stay were you are and if not then you know what to do.

I think'the ED-Visa is al'ways for about one year and'extendable for further years. My school even offers up to 10 years;will see if it's really possible.

Have'good time and may-be you can meet some nice friends'same as I do!?

Yes I also think so that many schools are just a kind of Visa-shop but in the end they are just using the'situation in TL with all'the difficult visa-regulations. The people who like to stay in this'country for what-ever reason look for the best possible chance to stay legally. I know that some don't care about'language-skills as it's not that much important for'living here. I even experienced a lot of Thais who didn't like'when Farang can under-stand their language. One of my previous ladies said: Why you want to go'school? You don't need'learn Thai! We can talkEnglish. PS and I talk my tongue, when I have some secret...

So with prior it's a business as'usual. I agree with you. But it's not only about the schools-it's about the students too. The schools don't offer just the Visa and stay'home. The lazy student him-self decides not to attend. And when Immigration is testing'now it's fine for me but I am sure some regular students might fail too and'would be in'danger for no further extension or having to pay an illegal fine. I just wonder why Immigration doesn't force the schools to make sure'all attending?

You simply gave a sample of'school who is not'interested in'good educational work. That's why it is'recommended to test several schools before enrolling' to get an idea of the teaching-skills. I hope you'found a better one!?

Ooh now the great Tod Daniels or what-ever'him-self; what an honour!

Are you a joint-venture with Parvis?

When I read your posts I could get the idea of some-one promoting not only one but many schools. Are you getting some commissions from them for doing the mainly positive reviews?

I just feel the need of showing you guys the mirror in your faces. As you'know: quite often the same critics can be made about the person who is criticizing!

You are going to promote "your"schools by their real names and even with a link to their web-sites but when I just talk about the experience with "my" school, it's not convenient? That sounds strange to me! Are you having some difficulties with WALEN or why you are so much against it? If you have some negative experiences with them'you can freely post it here!

Do you seriously believe that I would get any commissions from that'school by just posting my thoughts about them in here? And even in'case'there would be some-one interested in checking them-out and finally enrolling there, how could I get any commission from them when it is anonymously? May-be you could give me some'ideas'how to do that? Yes perhaps when I bring some-one in'person I could ask for a discount'next year or at least some more free lessons but any-thing else is their business and as I see them working; they seem to be quite successful with their advertisement alone. But may-be that's what disturbs you?

And now to your questions:

I attend the school since May last year regularly.

I just visited PRO and went straight to Walen and'enrolled there by comparing their standards and I had al'ready'different recommendations of'friends attending these schools and I could see by my-self that the given information was right.

Yes learning Thai became now very important to me.

As a traveler I found it hard al'ready to get the tongue and when I finally'decided to settle-down here then I thought I would learn it with the time by interacting with Thai-people. But after 3 years I had to realize that it's not working-out for me and'last chance is a decent school or I never'learn this language.

And believe me: my so called Thai-friends suddenly didn't like this'idea; you can imagine that they are all gone now but may-be it's for the good.

Of-course I had also the ED-Visa in'mind because I am not yet 50 and to apply for'one-year non-O in my home-country gets more and more difficult now and'expensive. So I think: it's a good combination of'two purposes. But I can't under-stand'people paying for the courses but'not attending'classes. It's so much fun there and you can meet some real nice friends from so many nations. I would really miss'to go there!

But as you wrote'on the other web-site: it's just my personal opinion and every-one else must judge for him-self.

Yes it would be interesting to get an-other review of Thai-solutions from you regarding the experience of our thread-holder. So you shall visit both branches as well.

So far I know: the ED-Visas are all good for usage up to 15 months and they can be issued for S(ingle) 2000 or M(ultiple 5000 Baht. You have to make this'request in the application-form. If you miss it'you will just get the S and'have to get a re-entry permit of 1900 THB each time you are leaving the country that you don't lose the Visa.

He don't need to do a border-run. He just goes to report him-self all 90 days at'immigration'and get's his extension. And when the school has good connection like my does'he can continue this'for many years with-out need to leave'country.

So it depends on where you are living in Bangkok but for me the trip to ChangWattana is a pleasure and it doesn't need that much time for me either. For a border-run I would need even two days to Ranong. I did this'all and I really don't wanna do it again, as I experienced a lot of scam there.

Yes it would be interesting to get an-other review of Thai-solutions from you regarding the experience of our thread-holder. So you shall visit both branches as well.

Actually I went to the Asok Branch today and spoke at length with the owner of the school, perused their course materials, and chatted with several current students who were getting out of class. In fact I’ll be putting a post in the Best Thai Language School thread about both branches of the school.

So far I know: the ED-Visas are all good for usage up to 15 months and they can be issued for S(ingle) 2000 or M(ultiple 5000 Baht. You have to make this'request in the application-form. If you miss it'you will just get the S and'have to get a re-entry permit of 1900 THB each time you are leaving the country that you don't lose the Visa.

FWIW: a person would be very hard pressed indeed to secure a year long Multi Entry Non-Immigrant Type ED visa in ANY neighboring S/E asian country for the purpose of attending a private thai language school.

He don't need to do a border-run. He just goes to report him-self all 90 days at'immigration'and get's his extension. So it depends on where you are living in Bangkok but for me the trip to ChangWattana is a pleasure and it doesn't need that much time for me either. For a border-run I would need even two days to Ranong. I did this'all and I really don't wanna do it again, as I experienced a lot of scam there.

I hate to bust your balls again.. but... :)

You are totally in error about him not needing to either;

1) do a border run to extend his visa another 90 days

or

2) going to Chang Wattana paying 1900baht and getting a 90 day extension in-country.

The Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant Type ED visa is good for stays in country of UP TO 90 days ONLY..

After that he either runs to the border to get another 90 day stamp or goes to Chang Wattana pays 1900baht and they extend the visa for another 90 days in country. As his visa is limited to stays of up to 90 days he never has to report to immigrations IF he runs for the border because you only report if you stay inside the country LONGER than 90 days.

There are more than enough visa run companies in Bangkok. He can catch a bus to the border in the morning and be back in the afternoon, as he's just exiting and re-entering. As I said the cost is virtually the same.

I also find it strange you say you'd visa run to Ranong yet you go to Chang Wattana for your 90 day extensions.

As an aside "Phateya";

I am glad you enjoy attending class, I enjoyed the interaction with the students/teachers/staff as well when I attended the Walen School after Mac first started the thai language facet of his business a couple of years ago. That was the most enjoyable part of actually attending class there, as I still believe the "bang for the baht" is marginal at best. Also believe me I have no axe to grind with you, and post in a very matter of fact, cynically acerbic style of writing. I also post in my real name (which can be disconcerting when showing up at a thai language school and they ask me "Are you Tod Daniels from the Thai Visa Forum?") (Now I’m truly a legend in my own mind!! :D)

I will state for the record I get nothing from the schools I 'review'. I post ONLY to disseminate the information I've gleaned from scoping them out.

I strongly urge ANY perspective student of the thai language to attend the free lesson offered at as many different thai language schools as they can before they pay their tuition.

The O/P's case was resolved to his satisfaction; and that speaks volumes for a school's integrity. The same cannot be said for every school. I hope the O/P has a great time there (and if he has ANY questions about his visa or what is the best thing for him to do to extend it, please send me a private message).

Make sure to read my upcoming post about Thai Language Solutions in the Best Thai Language School thread. ..

• 2 months later...
Take any advise in this forum "with a grain of salt". There appear to be individuals of Schools who praise their Schools under the pretext of being a student/ex-student. To those who have experience in this forum and have multiple postings these "wolfes in sheeps clothing" are quiet obvious.

A posting - in a way - is like a signature: The method - the subject matter - the intentional errors etc etc etc can be as revealing as a signature - to the trained eye.

Dear Khun Pravis, I agree with you and I have seen it myself a few times too. We never pretend to be some other members. The student you are alluding to is an actual student, you can talk to him if you wish, I can give you his number. We have been a target of a few undeserved negative comments but there are also a lot of genuine very positive ones! We are not trying to please all, as this is an impossible task, but we are trying to please most!

Walen students by posting their positive comments just express their opinion the same way as some members by posting negative comments are presenting their views.

Also consider that those who sometimes post here do not have to have many posts in order to express a valuable opinion or contribute something others can benefit from. In many cases they read thaivisa.com for many years so they know what is going on here, just the fact that this or that poster has many posts does not necessarily mean that they are more knowledgeable than someone who has just had a few posts. It is like saying that a writer who has written 20 books is better that one who has written 1 or 2 books. It is more about the quality than quantity.

Walen School - we are here for you!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

"We have been a target of a few undeserved negative comments but there are also a lot of genuine very positive ones!"

McWalen

I fail to remember any "genuine positive" remarks by any poster - other than myself - about Walen School. Perhaps you recall that I have always been positive on "your method" - but very negative on your teaching material. However - you have always attacked my comments on "not being able to learn another language".

I recall - whenever there are negative posts about Walen - you attack them often with totally inappropriate comments - as in my case when you suggested I am too old to learn - "Also just for the record, you are in your mid 70's, how old exactly? 75?"

I repeat - Walens problem is the teaching Material and perhaps your attitude (a comment of one of your present students).

Book 1 - needs to be revised to include a systematic introduction to Thai-script

Book 2 - is actually the best of the 3 - "Kii mii glin men" is typically replaced by "Durian mii glin men" - by your teachers.

Book 3 - is probably the worst - with many useless "Thai words" such as Maichelangelo (misspelled) Sherlock Holmes, Kennedy etc etc etc.. There appears to be a "desperate" attempt to include new vocabulary to increase total words "taught".

There are indeed many mistakes (including usage) - often pointed out by your teachers - in English and Thai.

There appears to be an "obsession" with death-related subjects and words - particularily in Book 3.

On the positive side - I feel "your method" AS MODIFIED by your teachers has merit - if you ONLY were to correct the problems. I also feel the change of teacher for every hour is a positive.

I did not reply to your PM of "invitation for a beer" - because I just don't drink anything stronger than coffee. Also, unless you are willing to talk about improving your teaching material - there appears to be little we could talk about - because I continue to be very negative on your teaching material.

Edited by Parvis

The point was that you were questioning genuineness of another student who was expressing a positive opinion on our school, some of his comment were deleted as he was accused of promoting Walen school while he was just expressing his opinion. Your opinions are yours and we are happy to hear them. On the other hand trying to shut up those who are happy with our school is not the right way also.

I have not seen many cases of any other school's teaching materials to be more discussed than Walen. It in itself tells you that it cannot be that bad if so many people make the effort to study them.

Improvements are being made but even now the method, if you really want to learn, works very well.

There are many genuine positive comments on tv about Walen, you need to read more threads related to our school. Walen is certainly the most widely covered school in Thaivisa so it is a bit of reading but there are indeed many. Even you made a few positive ones, you seem to have the problem with the content of the books more than with anything else but this is a matter of your opinion more than of anything else. Please read some posts by Tod Daniels. Lots of positive posts in many threads.

On the point of the invitation as other posters will not know the story, Pravis and I come from the same place, quite remarkable, only 5-7 km away, I invited Pravis to have a chat but it was not accepted. Coffee is fine, it wold be nice to sit and talk in person.

Walen School - not perfect but it works!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Just to add on to Parvis' post. Walen really is a poor language school. I've been there before for quite some time and the other students do nothing but complain about the teaching method (as did I).

It's not the teachers fault however, they are all very good teachers that just want to do their job. The problem is management that forces the teachers to dictate exactly word for word out of their "book" (which has a lot of incorrect Thai sentences throughout). In the time I've been there I have seen more and more of the regular students (the ones that never miss a lesson) never come back. I also seen a teacher having her pay cut for writing thai words phonetically in English on the whiteboard.

Even though I was a student that only went to the school once a week it was painfully obvious that the management are control freaks.

They constantly post notices on the lesson room walls about how "the students don't like" this or that when none of us said anything or even complained. This attitude of management using the students to push teachers about just makes you (as a student) uncomfortable. I wish they'd just stop trying to micro manage everything and let the teachers do their job. It's stressful for both the teachers and the students. I feel sad for the teachers that continuously get complaints from newer students that join the school about this stupid teaching method and don't have the power to do anything about it.

I really was tired of hearing the same old complaints by new students every week about the above and the fact that they were starting half way through the book.

Edit: I just notice McWalen replied before I did...

I invited Pravis to have a chat but it was not accepted.

Can you blame him when we all live in a country where openly complaining about a company can get you into legal trouble? :)

Edited by hungryhippo

Cannot be as bad, we still have more students at any given time than most schools in Bangkok, so there are always those who do like the method, not just free style talking in Thai, every class different method style like at some schools. We indeed do not want transliterated Thai, we believe that Thai is best taught using the Thai alphabet.

Thanks for sharing hungryhippo, so what would be your recommendation? We allow teachers to teach the way they like? It would not be a method anymore. Would you prefer to be taught Thai using Latin letters instead of Thai?

Method does work on revision so we go through the book several times so it is impossible really to be starting in the middle of the book all the time, sometimes it must be the beginning or the end of the book. And this is how it works until successful.

Walen School - appreciating your input.

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

"On the point of the invitation as other posters will not know the story, Pravis and I come from the same place, quite remarkable, only 5-7 km away, I invited Pravis to have a chat but it was not accepted. Coffee is fine, it wold be nice to sit and talk in person."

MacWalen

One of these days as we walk past each other in Times Square (where I am almost daily) - and you have time - and I have time - to talk over a cup of coffee would be fine.

(in Thai? probably too challenging so far - but it would be interesting to see just how well "your method" worked - with yourself).

PCP

Edited by Parvis

Book 1 - needs to be revised to include a systematic introduction to Thai-script

Book 2 - is actually the best of the 3 - "Kii mii glin men" is typically replaced by "Durian mii glin men" - by your teachers.

Book 3 - is probably the worst - with many useless "Thai words" such as Maichelangelo (misspelled) Sherlock Holmes, Kennedy etc etc etc.. There appears to be a "desperate" attempt to include new vocabulary to increase total words "taught".

I'm a Walen student, and somehow I agree with this statement that Parvis made. Yes Walen has a good method but it takes time and lots of patience on the part of the student in order to get going in Thai. And also to add on, you guys must have read how Walen is a very popular school, and as a current student, I can vouch for their visa effectiveness, and there are many students coming in for the visa but I don't know how serious they are in learning Thai. Many come and go, many you see come once a week and thereafter disappear for 2 weeks and come back for 2 lessons again. So maybe I regretted a bit in choosing this school, as the visa thing makes the group of students net wider, and there are all sorts of people who might not want to learn Thai..

That's why when you enter book 1 in Walen you find yourself extremely frustrated, not only because of the new language and system, but also because you are surrounded by other students with different learning styles - and not to mention those who are not really serious about learning, which accumulates and make the lesson even more frustrating. The occasional joke is fine and really livens up the lesson (as this method really quite makes the book boring, so jokes are good), but too much jokers and non-serious learners in a class, to me, it's an impediment. This is something I believe the school can work on. I don't want to discriminate but some specifically enter the school, enroll and say "they want the minimum hours", minimum work, and "come to school minimum" and they enter the classroom not doing any homework and just trying to go off-topic whenever possible in class. I've spoke to some classmates who even told me they dislike learning the language, and frown everytime they're in class, and keep criticizing how troublesome the language is and how "thai language is making it difficult for me" - instead of working harder at the language they are blaming the language, all in the midst of the lesson. There's nothing I can do about this, as a student, so oh well.

However fortunately :D , when you progress on to further books it gets better as they have lesser students and it becomes more serious. (not in a boring sense but just filled with enthusiastic learners who genuinely want to learn the language) So if the school can't improve on this part, we just have to work hard ourselves and get away from the beginning books in order to have a better classroom environment, if the school can't provide it.

As I said, these are some of the reasons which make the school look bad as posted all over these forums, I believe there are more which I shan't talk about here as it's sensitive, but overall as I said it is a good method, I like the fact it does not use karaoke Thai, and repetition of certain sentence structures is good for newbies. But lots to improve on as well if it wants to be a "good thai language school", which it is far from right now... it belongs to some other category, but I can see the school slowly improving..

Well, but I chose this school... so I'd just have to stick with it, I guess when you choose a school which does visa well you'll have to just live with it. But the above points surely can be looked into :)

Sorry my post is not that neatly structured, but would just like to give my two cents worth :D

Edited by smint

Smint

What can I say - I agree with what you are saying - and have personally said it in different words for some time now.

As MacWalen says "repetition - repitition - repetition and revision - revision - revision". Perhaps if we tell MacWalen long enough - he will analyze and success will follow - one day at a time.

PCP

Always willing to help.

Yes indeed.

So to not go off-topic and to answer the OP as always, it is best to try it out yourself which school fits you best. You might need a visa, you might not - most foreigners if they're not working here in Thailand they might need it, but you have to consider especially if -

-You want to enter a class of serious learners who are keen in learning Thai? - this will speed up your language learning quickly as you will feel a bit of 'competitiveness' in class and want to catch up with your classmates to improve - no one likes to be last in class, and being the 'worst thai learner in class' - this will make you improve!

-or you want to enter a class of just learners who "want to learn thai" - "yes i want to learn thai! i live in thailand so i want to know what other people are saying behind my back" and that's about it - they just want enough to get by and want to skip the difficult parts (ie. writing system, consonants, difficult to pronounce words), these are the people who will brush off thai once they encounter these difficulties. And if you are in a class of slackers who don't really want to speak much Thai but just want to know Thai enough to get by (their goal is just to know how to order food, say not spicy, buy clothes, ask for discount; and to them any other word they learnt is not a goal but a 'bonus' to them), will you genuinely improve in speaking, reading, writing, listening?

Ask yourself before enrolling, what type of school/learning environment would you like to be part of?

It is really a pity for Walen's method if better developed and with some fine-tuning it would be excellent - but the target group and the teaching method don't really match, many who are there for visa might also want easier way to learn thai (short-term) and that = karaoke and just colloquial Thai, slang... street talk. (Of course I'm not saying all, there are also those who need the visa and are genuinely interested in learning Thai to a 'deeper' level)

So maybe there are some schools with the latter environment.. some schools with a bit of both.. and some really good schools with good environment... and keen learners... So it's a school environment, we prolly can't change that, but we can choose which school to go to... And which environment we think would suit us best - what kind of Thai would you want to learn?

Edited by smint

• 1 year later...