Cheap Dive Gear Retailer?

Crushdepth

I'm looking to buy some dive gear and frankly, prices in Thailand seem quite expensive to other countries.

* Are there any discount retailers around?

* Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Dumnam.com?

I'm tempted to import gear via Leisurepro.com but I cringe at what Customs would charge me. Anyone know what the chances are of getting stuff through are? Or how much tax they are likely to charge?

Thanks.

Edited by Crushdepth

Plenty of stores in Samui and Koh Tao with cheap gear especially if you are a DM or Instructor as they all give you a good discount. The same goes for Phuket and Pattaya. Also look at the second hand market especially on Tao where people have done their instructor course, worked a while and are now moving on. Always some bargains to be had. What exactly are you looking for ?

There a few dive hops n Bangkok thats ell equpment, same prices as in te rest of Thailand. lanet Scuba has a shop on Sukhumvit, afaik Dive Supply has a shop in BKK, look around.

Being based in BKK, I assume you dive a lot in PTY, why not have a look a round there, plenty of dive shops there.

Anyone know what the chances are of getting stuff through are? Or how much tax they are likely to charge?
Small chance you'll get things to without charge. If a charge, count on 100% of the estimated value by them.

Looking for a good reg and BCD. Have been thinking about Apeks XTX 100 and a Mares Dragon. I'm based in Bangkok, unfortunately!

To get things out of customs is burdensome and time effective if you want to do it cheap. Not impossible but since you're stying in BKK worth a try possibly.

After looking around, Planet Scuba has got the best selection of gear in Bangkok. Dive Supply is a not very close second. Neither is cheap. The only discounter I've found is dumnam.com but I haven't actually bought anything off them yet so not sure how 'reliable' they are. Oh well.

Anyway, this is the kit I'm looking at:

* Apeks XTX100 reg with XTX40 octopus.

* Mares Mission 3 gauge set.

* Mares Vector 1000 MRS BCD (integrated weights + rear trim weights).

Anyone got good/bad comments about this stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
* Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Dumnam.com?

I had a great experience with the folks at Dumnam. Excellent customer service. Fast shipping. Everything exceeded my expectations.

(Ordered a Suunto dive computer and compass from them, very pleased with the service and the gear.)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...