Poverty Forces Thai Women Into Foreign Marriages

george

Size of the sample is irrelevant in a longitudinal study (case study), as opposed to a cross-sectional approach. For a comparison of these two approaches - both of which can be empirical - see this brief explanation of the higher predictability of long. vis cross. studies vis a visa immigration is New Zealand:

SabaiJai,

Is this a longitudinal study? Ongoing statistical anaysis of a specific test group? perhaps. It seems like a spot study to me. Besides the statistics arising from a longitudinal study (like the NZ study you refer to) is to follow a group through time looking for trends and/or changes to the pattern - it is intentionaly kept specific so that 'external' overloading (large percentage of the sample that does not match the specifics of the intended group to be monitored) does not "wash-out" the meaningful results. If this was the case, then I would agree that the size of the sample was irrelevant as you put forward. However, the conclusions were reported in such a way as to suggest a percentage populous sentiment - this I would suggest is implicative of a cross-sectional analysis and thus sample size IS important.

It seems to me that this study seems to be intensionally provocative and the sample size was chosen thus. It may be down to how the report was ...er...reported in the media (in fact it most likely is!).

As they say... "Lies, ###### lies and statistics!". :D

PS: Kat/Slim - Jai Yen guys - kiss and make up :o

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Custard , I pity your lady (if you have one).Theft ?

In Engalnd when muppets post rubbish like this its racism.

No I basically feel sorry for many Thai men unable to compete with farang blokes financially when it comes to Thai girls deciding who to marry. You must admit that girls naturally want to marry up, not down, so finances play a vital role in choosing their husbands more or less.

Guess you also don't like it when nonwhite blokes marry white English girls thats why you call mixed children half-castes. I live in a multicultural society and far from being racist I'm incredibly liberal believe it or not.

Many are also worried that the flow of farangs marrying Thai girls could swell into an unmanageable torrent if there are no controls.

No I basically feel sorry for many Thai men unable to compete with farang blokes financially when it comes to Thai girls deciding who to marry. You must admit that girls naturally want to marry up, not down, so finances play a vital role in choosing their husbands more or less.

Guess you also don't like it when nonwhite blokes marry white English girls thats why you call mixed children half-castes. I live in a multicultural society and far from being racist I'm incredibly liberal believe it or not.

Many are also worried that the flow of farangs marrying Thai girls could swell into an unmanageable torrent if there are no controls.

Oh now come on thats not a farrang thing, not something we started we just happen to have money. Thai guy's do just fine. The majority of farrangs have the wifes that they abused as girlfriends. It's just life.

Oh now come on thats not a farrang thing, not something we started we just happen to have money. Thai guy's do just fine. The majority of farrangs have the wifes that they abused as girlfriends. It's just life.

yap ...that's a cool comments.. :o

Nothing to do with money, white skin and the perceived racial superiority ?

But why is that I've never seen a Thai girl married to a black man ???  Just a coincidence or what ?

Tigers mum. :D

I recall that there is one Thai Female Athlete that is dominating the sprints in the SEA games, can't remember her name. But her father is a black US marine. :o

There was an advert on Thai tv a while back for toothpaste that involved a little thai kid losing his balloon and a black gent catching it for him. When he reached to give the balloon back to the kid, the kids thai mother pulled the kid back as if to protect from the black guy offering the rescued balloon. The advert then cut to a promo line for this dark toothpaste to the tune of 'its black but not bad!'

The reason you don't see Thai girls marrying black guys too often is because Thais generally dislike people with darker skin. Think Laos, for example. Dark skin = low social class = bad. Also look at the whitening cream industry.

Since living in Thailand (about 18 months) I have yet to meet one single Thai girl/woman who wants to marry a Thai man.

My wife and I personally know of at least 2 dozen girls/women who want European husbands.

The reason's for this are all too obvious if you know anything of Thailand and Thai men who are generally piss poor fathers, piss heads, gamblers, womanisers, wife beaters, chauvinists, unreliable, untrustworthy.............shall I go on.

This, by the way, is not my opinion its the opinion of my Thai wife (although knowing her father I agree with it 100%).

My wife badgers me constantly to find a husband for 4 members of her own family - her sister, and 3 of her nieces - 2 of whom are "pure" as my wife puts it and are available for marriage if you have the necessary 500,000 baht.

(absolute discretion assured)

I wish I could find ANYONE I know who is in a position to take any of these women as a wife but I cant.

A friend of my wife visits us sometimes, and has her new (for me, since we have been away for 2 years) boyfriend with her usually ("he needs to learn english...go on boys..talk"). But some week ago, when her boyfriend wasn't in the room, the friend asked me "Do you know any farang?", and it turned out that she wanted to know if I knew anyone good that she might be interested in, if the ongoing releationship wouldn't work out. Infact, she already asked me even before me and my wife was married some years back, but back then I took it as a joke...now I know better.

And my wife...doesn't like thai-boys either.

Edited by Zarkow

Pardon my redundancies. Most everyone has mentioned portions of my observations, as well, but feel I have to jump in here, too...

No real problem with the study. Doesn't hurt to be reminded of what we've all known all along.

Don't agree with everything in the study. When I do studies, I start with an AVERAGE sample. The study village (sample) is highly skewed, as we all also recognize.

Specifically do not agree with the second part of this statement: "Although the research points to a number of reasons that the women choose to marry foreign men, the most common appears to be the desire to escape from the poverty trap and the feeling among the women that they need to provide money for their families." Probably the strongest motivator for my wife to marry me was so that she could BETTER provide for her family (mother, father, daughter and - at least partially - a dozen others).

Also, my wife is looked on very favorably by everyone that I've seen in the village and I am treated like near-royalty and respect from everyone I meet. I don't even get that in the town I regularly live in in California - not even close.

The mental aspects is a good point and we need to be mindful of. I make sure my wife has Thai satellite service, Internet/computer, lots of long distance time on the telephone, and a good local Thai community to help us stay sane.