Isolation Switch Between Transformer And Load Centre

Pilchard

Anyone want to offer an opinion on this.

Out of my transformer the cables come down and through a large 3 phase government induction type meter.

From the meter they loop back up to the power pole and terminate at 3 pull fuses.

Conection will be made from these fuses to the building load centre breaker box.

I would like to have a large Square D mechanical type saftey switch fitted in between so the building can be complety isolated from the front of the property. (small 20 room guest house/bungalow resort)

Any reasons for or against ?

Thanks

No problem adding additional isolation if you feel it's necessary. You likely won't be allowed to put it on the pole as it belongs to MEA / PEA.

In what circumstances do you see it being operated?

Also consider it being 'accidentally' operated, it needs to be out of easy reach or inside the building.

I have my own pole and 50kva transformer, I had my electrician bring the meter tails into a 63amp switch fuse which feeds the underground NYY cable to the house.

If there is no fuses after the meter and before the Board then that cable is unprotected.

So fit a switch fuse or if you have the funds an MCCB

Generally if you have LV HRC fuse links at the transformer this is where the supply to the installation is disconnected. Your main switch should be on the main switchboard.

Do you have any safety services? eg, fire pump, fire alarm panel, exit and evacuation lighting.

These should not be disconnected.

Generally if you have LV HRC fuse links at the transformer this is where the supply to the installation is disconnected. Your main switch should be on the main switchboard.

Do you have any safety services? eg, fire pump, fire alarm panel, exit and evacuation lighting.

These should not be disconnected.

I don't, but very good point, thank you