Importing Motorbike

shroomer

I have never heard of anyone who has imported a motorbike successfully into Thailand. the problem I have been led to believe is

getting registration papers for the bike once it is in the country, and the bike is not much use without them.

I have an old Z1B 900 Kawasaki in pristine condition back home I would love to bring across as it is only sitting gathering dust. Has anyone had any positive experience importing a bike, and if so, what were the steps you went through to bring it across?

Lots of people sucessfully import bikes.. I would even say the process isnt that painful if you understand that its going to cost you real money, if you think you can do it cheap, then expect to have lots of frustrations and problems. Ballpark 200k and you might be under it.

Emissions and registration are 75k currently, that leaves 125k for taxes. Unless its a high end exotic that should be enough.

Hi Livin. You say that many people have got bikes into Thailand But i really haven't heard about ANYONE who has successfully got a bike in without knowing some one at Customs etc. Not saying your wrong. Just not heard of any one.

Hi Livin. You say that many people have got bikes into Thailand But i really haven't heard about ANYONE who has successfully got a bike in without knowing some one at Customs etc. Not saying your wrong. Just not heard of any one.

Would like to learn more also, it's certainly been done many, many times.

But the risk of facing expectorant charges, tea money, lengthy and painful delays in customs, all reaching a final conclusion of have an unregistered bike! Should a guy just give up and flog his bikes of the local market at the crazy low prices of the affluent western world!!!!! SUCKS.

Would like to bring my bike in, but I'm just too cheap to spend 200,000 Baht with all that uncertainty!

post-61530-1265022939_thumb.jpg

I know a couple.. Some formally imported, some temp import, one temp imported then just rode in..

I think some of the SSR boys have bought Japper parts bikes ?? I am pretty sure Trents XJR1300 was one.. I flirted with a invoice bike from K-Speed a month or two back.. Chased down the invoice to book costs and got that locked in, down to 10 days or less these days. If you have it broken down and parts shipped its cost effective (brand new 09 speed triples in the states for <300k baht.. V 780k baht here.. Leaves some room to work with !!)..

Phil on GTR is in process of registering his KTM990 and has a deal priced..

Livin. But if i remember Phil on GTR is doing things in a strange and roundabout way. So i believe he is using some one in power to get it sorted (also a BIG bucket full of cash)

What i mean is. Do you know any one that has simply contacted a shipping agent and brought a bike in that has been available at the port on the date it should be. with non of the under the table money, or time delays etc that we always hear about. Eg any one that has got there bike in as per the Customs website details and costs.

Trents bike was a jap import BUT sourced from a shop in BKK as far as i'm aware. I think R1's umm R1 was imported himself but again via a shop in BKK. Might be wrong though.

Edited by thaicbr

I know a couple.. Some formally imported, some temp import, one temp imported then just rode in..

I think some of the SSR boys have bought Japper parts bikes ?? I am pretty sure Trents XJR1300 was one.. I flirted with a invoice bike from K-Speed a month or two back.. Chased down the invoice to book costs and got that locked in, down to 10 days or less these days. If you have it broken down and parts shipped its cost effective (brand new 09 speed triples in the states for <300k baht.. V 780k baht here.. Leaves some room to work with !!)..

must be a Calif spec to pass emission, and even invoice is 300k the tax is still based on the thai price of 780k. If you dont want to spend a year with custom, emission and LTD, tea money is needed. I d say its not much room left to work with

Livin. But if i remember Phil on GTR is doing things in a strange and roundabout way. So i believe he is using some one in power to get it sorted (also a BIG bucket full of cash)

What i mean is. Do you know any one that has simply contacted a shipping agent and brought a bike in that has been available at the port on the date it should be. with non of the under the table money, or time delays etc that we always hear about. Eg any one that has got there bike in as per the Customs website details and costs.

Trents bike was a jap import BUT sourced from a shop in BKK as far as i'm aware. I think R1's umm R1 was imported himself but again via a shop in BKK. Might be wrong though.

Yes but those shops have the contacts to move it through.. So use them and pay..

I wouldnt ever claim it would ever be cheap, if you try to make it cheap you will pay in sweat and worry.. But theres places that will handle this for you, have the contacts and seem to get them through. They will do the import tax and green booking (which appears to have streamlined lately).

I havent done it, I know people who have and I know many more who paid no taxes and do the temp import route.

must be a Calif spec to pass emission, and even invoice is 300k the tax is still based on the thai price of 780k. If you dont want to spend a year with custom, emission and LTD, tea money is needed. I d say its not much room left to work with

If you have all the invoice papers showing import tax paid the emissions is a 75k and 1 week to 10 day process.. They have the contacts..

Customs duty, excise tax, interior tax and VAT for a motorbike is approx 77% of the new price. You get a discount depending how long the bike was in service from the original registration in your home country. The discount is 30% if the bike was in service between 28-30 months and will go to 60% if in service between 70-72 months. You require an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department prior to importation.