Non-imm 'o' - Letter From Embassy

I am returning to Penang next week to renew my non-imm 'O' visa. Last year I got a multi-entry, 12 months visa. This time I'm told if I want the same I need a letter from the British embassy. I'm a single, retired 61 yo. Anyone throw any light on what this letter's all about.

As I'm travelling from Chiang Mai, will I be able to pick it up from the Consulate there?

Many thanks,

cm boy

Just  read  your  previous  posts, quick  question.............i  take  it  you  are  not  wanting  to  go  for  the  1  year  extension  within  Thailand  based  on  monthly  income/funds  deposited  here.....is  that  correct?

Could please explain what exactly that involves, I'm a little unsure.

Ok..........you qualify for a Non Immigrant visa based upon the fact that you have reached the age of 50 (which is what you recieved last year in Penang).

Now, your first year is almost up, if you meet certain requirements you can extend the visa you have now by 1 year at a time (no need for any 90 day visa runs) locally at Chiang Mai ? Immigration.

Requirements are, 800k baht deposited in a bank here (a letter from bank to support this will do for immigration).....a medical certificate..........confirmation of your address in Thailand..........photo copies of passport...........basically the same you needed in Penang.

Providing you meet the requirements you will recieve a years stay extension which can be renewed year upon year as long as you continue to meet said requirements.

Only proviso is you must report your address to immigration in CM every 90 days.

Edit.....one final thing, if you do go this route and intend to leave Thailand and re-enter during the years extension you will need either a single or multiple re-entry permit (1000baht and 3800baht respectively) to protect your years stay stamp or you would re-enter lose the stamp and have to start the process over again.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I am returning to Penang next week to renew my non-imm 'O' visa. Last year I got a multi-entry, 12 months visa. This time I'm told if I want the same I need a letter from the British embassy. I'm a single, retired 61 yo. Anyone throw any light on what this letter's all about.

As I'm travelling from Chiang Mai, will I be able to pick it up from the Consulate there?

Many thanks,

cm boy

I live in Chiang Mai and it is fairly straight forward to get a retirement visa, assuming you already have a multipule entry visa. You need, photo, letter from hospital saying you are healthy. You can get this from Rama11 for 60baht, takes ten minutes. Then arrange with you bank to provide a letter showing you have adequate funds (800,00baht), this needs to be done on the day of the visa application. Photo copy all the documents, all pages of your bank passbook. I found Ching Mai immigration very helpful. They will stamp your passport then and there. Nigel

Many thanks,

cm boy

I live in Chiang Mai and it is fairly straight forward to get a retirement visa, assuming you already have a multipule entry visa. You need, photo, letter from hospital saying you are healthy. You can get this from Rama11 for 60baht, takes ten minutes. Then arrange with you bank to provide a letter showing you have adequate funds (800,00baht), this needs to be done on the day of the visa application. Photo copy all the documents, all pages of your bank passbook. I found Ching Mai immigration very helpful. They will stamp your passport then and there. Nigel

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Ok, so we talking about converting to a retirement visa. Unfortunately I'm at the end of my 15 months which I got with my 'O' visa so I believe I'm too late to transfer. (1 month before 'O' visa expires) Now I have to apply again for an 'O' visa, and this time I will transfer to a retirement visa before it expires.

The guy in Penang who helped last time has told me about the need for this 'standard' letter from the British embassy, with out it he says, I will only get a 3 months visa.

Any info on the letter?

Nigel, I agree with your comments re. the CM immigration office, very helpful indeed.

Thanks again,

cm boy

The obvious question is why didnt you extend before the visa expired?........nevermind whats done is done.

Not quite sure what the letter is, could be to confirm address ......why not give the guy in Penang a ring and ask him.

If he is saying he can get you a single entry non imm without the "letter" why not just go for that and swop over to 1 year stay extensions 2 months after your return to Thailand?

I also seem to recall somebody posting on Thaivisa that they had gone straight from a plain 60 day Tourist Visa to 1 year extensions (presumably it was converted somehow to a non imm locally first)........have a word with immigration in CM they might say its possible......the non imm would be best just trying to think of other options for you.

The guy in Penang who helped last time has told me about the need for this 'standard' letter from the British embassy, with out it he says, I will only get a 3 months visa.

I am not sure what you mean here.

The "standard letter" from the embassy just confirms your address for various

official purposes, like buying a car, or applying for a driving licence.

If you gopher in Penang means a letter confirming your income, or pension then,

you may as well apply for the full year extension and save yourself the trip.

Perhaps someone can confirm what is required here, the version straight from the

consulate would be best.

Only last month they were definitely still handing out one year multi-entry visas to

elderly gentlemen.